The MT-07 Forum

600 Mile Maintenance

Paladin

I was told to keep my motorcycle under 6,000RPM for the first 600 miles and then go to the shop for the initial maintenance.  I am now above 600 miles and have the service scheduled for this weekend.  The guy at the shop said that I can go above the 600 while I'm waiting for the maintenance, but I either do not remember or he did not tell me how much farther.  I was curious what your input is.  Thanks...

VR/
Paladin

• Premium Member

In the US Owners Manual, page 6-4, it states, "There is no more important period in the life of your engine than the period between 0 and... 1000 miles."

It goes on to say to "avoid PROLONGED operation" (emphasis added) above 5000 rpms for the first 600 miles and above 6000 rpms from 600 to 1000 miles.  There is and probably never will be any shortage of debate about this among buyers and riders, but...

Yamaha makes the engine and prints the manual... your dealer lackies do NEITHER! It cannot hurt anything to exhibit a bit of patience and follow instructions for the first thousand miles and then go hog-a** wild, if ya wish!

Someone could say that 400 extra miles of metal shavings in your oil isn't going to help your cylinders any but someone else would counter that with the mention of an oil filter doing it's job and wouldn't allow that. Who you going to believe? Save yourself the head-ache and just do what avanti said, go by the manual and your bike should be safe. 

Beemer

There will be lot's of metal in the oil so I would
take it Easy, there is a filter but the metal has to
go through the oil pump to get to it.

There will be lot's of metal in the oil so I would take it Easy, there is a filter but the metal has to
go through the oil pump to get to it.
What Ralph said, too many metal shavings can hurt a number of things in an engine. A good analogy would be to just ask yourself if you would like some crushed glass with your oatmeal and you have your answer.

Beemer

Archived