The MT-07 Forum

Took delivery today!!!

azfz

Took delivery of my fz today. As my salesman was going over the walk through with me he asked if I had planned on riding today. Told him I planned on putting about 20 - 30 miles on the bike and then taking it home and changing the oil. He stated that if I did that, it would void my warranty because the initial fluids they put in the bike are "break in" fluids and they must remain in the bike until the 600 mile service. He stated that the service guys will be able to tell and know if I changed the oil and it will be documented. W-T-F? Seriously? Anyone else ever told this by their dealer?

As the bike sits now with 29 miles on it :) Parked all cozy like in the garage next to my boy Brutus 8-)

IMG_0535_zps7e3798e9.jpg

IMG_0537_zps09485834.jpg

Great choice on color. Never heard about the changing fluid voids warranty. Also never heard about changing fluids at 20miles until this site. My last Honda was changed at 600m and thus one is too.

• Global Moderator

I am planning on not changing the oil until 600 miles. I figure they must want the break in oil in long enough to do its thing. I know there are differing opinions, but that is my thought. I cannot figure out how it can affect a warrantee. Unless you have an engine problem before 600 miles how will they know when it was changed?

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

When I took mine to the dealer last week for the 600 mile service I asked about "break-in" oil. (I was merely curious because of things I read here) He said they never heard of that, that it was plain old oil.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Change the oil when you like I doubt it would void the warranty but I fail to see the logic of changing the oil at 20 miles.

rotaryryan24

That sounds like a load of bull s×+! To me.
The theory of changing the oil at 20 to 30 miles is that within those miles you will accumulate a lot of metal flakes, most will be aluminum. Those little bits can gum up the works.

You do or don't
Then your dead.

To order a tail tidy click
One-off-fabrication.myshopify.com

It's up to the individual when they change their oil but I've never heard of any bike, car, truck, boat, lawn mower, or aircraft owner having a motor related issue by doing the first or any service at the factory recommended mileage but it's your money. We all have an opinion and that's only mine.

There's no such thing as break-in oil. There is assembly oil/lube, that engine builders use to protect potential wear surface and prevents metal contact before adequate lubrication can be supplied. But its sparingly used, and only only places that will 'sit' on each other until the engine oil gets there.

Why people change the oil in the first 30 miles or so is to get the metal flakes from the piston rings setting in out of the engine, as most of your ring setting is done in that time. Is it the most important thing in the world to do? No. But you do hear it more often for motorbikes and other small engines because of the smaller amount of oil in these engines, and the smaller oil filter. Quicker to contaminate, quicker to plug up.

Personally, on my bikes I do the quick oil change. You can see the metal shine the oil picks up. My car and truck, I didn't worry about it.

• Global Moderator

There may not be break in oil for motorcycles, but I know there is for airplane piston engines. They use straight mineral oil for break in and then switch to ashless dispersent oil after break in. I just assumed that Yamaha was doing something similar, although I have no reason to think that.

@mjh937 - You might like this article. http://www.aviationtoday.com/am/repairstations/The-Mineral-Oil-Myth_564.html#.VAIjtPk7cuQ. From what I can tell its basically the same argument as regular oil vs. synthetic oil for break in purposes. One line I really liked from it, "They solved the problem by operating at higher power to accelerate break-in."

And sorry @azfz for hijacking your thread. Back on topic. You're going to love the bike. My best description is its FUN. Also, nice truck. 8-)

olderthandirt

That salesman is just plain wrong. Changing oil before any recommended change will not void the warranty. The oil that is supplied in street motorcycles is the same regular mineral based oil that you can buy anywhere. I know it is not synthetic oil or "break in oil" because a few guys on the Internet actually sent the oil that came in the bike new, to have it analyzed....and it came back regular mineral based oil...not synthetic in any way....and not any special "break in oil".

Like others have said...changing the oil before the 600 miles is a good idea. Not necessary...but a good idea just to rid the engine of any contaminants. I've always put 100 miles on a new bike and changed the oil. Then at 500 miles....the oil and filter. After that
I change oil when it starts to look dark in the oil window ...or every 2500 miles.

Never ever put synthetic oil in a brand new bike until it's fully broken in.

Congress is the only whore house in the United States that loses money.

Changing the oil early is only a personal choice. Waiting 600 miles will not harm the bike. In any case, the warranty will never be void by doing so. Your salesman is full of it.

Well I knew he was full of shit and blowing smoke up my ass but figured I'd get everyones opinion. Tore that eye sight of a tail off today and installed a tidy tail and some different rear blinkers

IMG_1881_zps71ebbd13.jpg

• Global Moderator

Tail tidy looks good. You do realize that a tail tidy will void you warranty... (according to that salesman)  :P

My dealer here in the UK says they do come with running in oil,
anyway I get mine next week and will be sticking with what Yam
say, only thing I do is to give it a extra change at about 2000
miles then stick to the service intervals though magnetic sump
plugs seem a good idea.

• Global Moderator

Not wanting to go off topic, but so did my dealer in Canada. The bikes come filled up with oil form the factory, that I know for sure. What oil it was I am not sure, but changing the oil during service made a big difference in shifting etc..

• Premium Member

My dealer told me the bike comes with regular Yamalube 10W40 dino oil.

As far as break in is concerned, I doubt the dealer will send in the oil to see what you changed it to.  And if you change it at 50 miles or so and use the same stuff how will they know?  WOuld be the same as if you took it for your 600 mile service at 650 miles...

I changed mine at 60 miles because of metal shavings as people here have mentioned.  I didn't see any in my oil, but it gave me piece of mind.

I'm pretty fanatical about break in, so I have my own method...

...kinda a hybrid method - not like the manual, but not a 'hard' break in either

Here's what I do:

With each step in this process, I always varied rpm's and used engine braking to slow down, never at constant throttle. I used Yamalube 10w40 regular dino oil, new Yamaha oil filter and crush washer for each oil change.

0-60 miles: 5k rpm limit
change oil

61-200 miles: 6k rpm limit
change oil

201-400 miles: 7k rpm limit
change oil

401-700 miles: 8k rpm limit
change oil

Bike ran noticeably better after each oil change.

After I changed the oil at 700 miles, I took it in for it's first service.  Since I did the oil, it's really a chain adjustment and lube, tire pressure adj, general check up and throttle body check/sync.

I was using 89 octane gas until 500 miles. Bike ran great. No issues whatsoever. Then after talking to a manufacturer of fueling computers being developed for our bike, I switched to 91 octane because that's what they develop with. Plus I live in a very hot climate, so the added knock protection of higher octane shouldn't hurt :) After the change to 91, I didn't notice much of a change honestly. Possibly slightly better throttle response, but very hard to tell.

I left the oil in it from my first service at 700 miles, to 1,500 miles, and just changed to full synthetic yesterday (Motul 15W50 Factory Line).  

Gonna give the bike a good workout today to test the new oil, and if it checks out and the gear box likes it, I'll probably change it every 2,250 miles or so, doing the filter every other time.  I know that seems kinda soon to change oil, but this is special oil, and I'm not 100% certain it's made to last between long intervals.

:)

- Paulie

Archived