The MT-07 Forum

Chain, chain guide and the rear wheel

mushymushroom

mushymushroom

So my chain has been slightly droopy lately, so I decided to correct the issue today.  I watched a few Youtube videos and I read the manual.  Decided, hey this should be pretty simple.

First issue, when loosening up the axle nut there was no play on the plate.  In the videos, the guys can move the plate atleast a bit when the axle nut was turn a few times, I kept turning and trying to move that plate, it seem stuck on there. 
Then come the locknuts on both sides and here's the problem.  I tried tighten it up doing half turns and then the same on the right side locknut.  I thought I was good and done and made sure the guide was about the same on each side.  I didn't have 2 wrench to hold one nut while tighten the outside nut so I used a pair of pliers (horrible idea, it just made my nuts look like crap now).  It just was never right, I tried readjusting the right by trying to loosen it up.  Both locknuts on the ride side were now loose but the plate didn't move forward, so I push the crap out of the tire and finally got it to budge so the guide looks about the same on the other side and so I tighten it down.  I ran to Sears bought cheapo wrench so I have one to hold the 1st locknut while tighten the 2nd with the other wrench.  

My concern here is that since I restarted this process maybe 3 times due to the guide lines not matching up on both sides and I lost count of turns on each side of the locknuts, I pretty much just eyeball the whole thing and called it a night.  The chain is slightly tighter after tighten up the axle nuts and the locknuts, I took it out and did like 10 mph around the apartment complex and everything seems ok.  The right side plate is on the 4th mark and the left side it is right after the 3rd mark and just before the 4th.  I'm new to motorcycle so I can tell if there's an issue, it rides about the same anyways.  Should there be any concern?

The one nut sets the adjustment, the other locks it in place.. And yeah, it really does need 2 wrenches to do properly - even if all you have are adjustable wrenches. .

Assuming those marks are accurate, if you do not have both sides lined up, your back sprocket and tire will not be facing straight forward. This will result in faster than normal chain, sprocket and tire wear. Not likely you would feel this if unless its way out of whack.

So, If you are gonna go only by the notches on the swinger, then you should make them even - that means if one is just before the 4th mark, the other should also be just before the 4th mark.

That you've made the chain tighter, I'd say loosen the axle nut, loosen the lock nut on the right side and turn that adjuster nut out until that index mark it matches the left side - you'll have to give the wheel a bump forward. Once you get them even, loosen both if need be to get the chain slack correct. Too tight kills chains faster than too loose.

mushymushroom

I did take my bike out around the country road tonight after work and it felt good. This weekend I'll loosen up the nuts and try to line them up a bit better, the chain might be a bit too tight now as well.
Thanks again for the reply, sorry for the huge block of text. I was never good at putting my thought out in just a few sentences like everyone else on the internet. :D

Archived