The MT-07 Forum

Headlight bubble?

liami

This isn't on my face-07, it's on my dad's busa. I don't know if he runs with high beams or what, but he did same thing to his r6 when he had it...a bubble suddenly pops up on his headlight lens where the beam is the brightest (and presumably hottest). Any way anybody has seen to fix it without replacing the headlight assembly altogether? He bought a new assembly but one of the mounts came broken so he needs to send it back anyway. I'm ready to disable his high beam switch

I recall something about drilling a hole in the bottom of the housing to let more air in to keep the bulb cooler but that suggestion was for my waterproof, LED bulb. I never drilled but I did take the rubber boot completely off. I use a Cyclops but there are cheaper ones out there.

Beemer

I can get a pic on Sunday when I see it next. He hates LEDs (don't know why, it's what I was running on my FZ and he liked it). And he won't drill a hole. I was asking if there was a way to repair or hide it. We're thinking used a dremel rotary tool with a sander attachment, sanding down that "pimple," then getting one of those hard, tinted, plastic headlight covers that Velcro on. Other suggestions?

Guest ChicagoAJ
I recall something about drilling a hole in the bottom of the housing to let more air in to keep the bulb cooler but that suggestion was for my waterproof, LED bulb. I never drilled but I did take the rubber boot completely off. I use a Cyclops but there are cheaper ones out there.
So you don't have any problems by taking the boot off? I'm about to get a cyclops, but this being my first bike, I'm not sure what it does or what I need to know about installing an LED bulb.
All you need to know is that the huge rubber grommet needs to be cut to fit the new, larger Cyclops light. Just pay attention to how everything comes apart and put everything back together the same way. Just find a secure place to put all the extra wiring. 

So you don't have any problems by taking the boot off? I'm about to get a cyclops, but this being my first bike, I'm not sure about taking off the boot or what I need to know about installing an LED bulb.
Instructions come with the bulb and it's super easy to install. You most likely will have to adjust the beam after installing, turn of a screw driver to do it. No problems with the Cyclops having the boot completely off and I only did that to ensure the bulb stayed cool because I had heard about possible heat build up with the boot completely on. I tried cutting some of the rubber material off but it didn't want to stay in place very well and was being a pita. Then I remembered the video on how waterproof it is and that gave me the confidence to leave the boot off.  
I've only ridden the bike like that a couple times in the rain and no problems but some would say that's no real test. I would agree and say the bulb still running after the complete submersion of the bulb in water (like in the video) is the real test so I feel I shouldn't have to worry about a minuscule amount of water getting inside the housing. On the other hand, I can't say the parking light will like getting a little wet so if you do what I did you take your chances just like me. I'm personally not worried about that tiny, cheap parking bulb going out.

Beemer

Yea a little bit, you can see that in the second pic. I've never seen on other bikes, only his busa and his r6. Obviously he's doing something wrong...the r6 bubbled outside too, but in a ring (like a halo)

Guest ChicagoAJ

That's weird. I always ride with my brights on during the day to increase visibility but that's never happened to any of my bikes...

Yea and that definitely makes sense to me, I would normally do that too. With his r6, he asked me to tint his headlights. I did and then the bubble happened. I thought maybe he bought crappy tint that trapped the heat and maybe that's why it occurred. Then it happened this week to his busa. His headlight is NOT tinted in the busa, though. So I don't know

pineappleunderthesea

I have seen HID light that attacks polycarbonate lenses, it's partially due to the intense light energy that gets absorbed by the polycarb, but also from the intense directed heat. It happens even faster if the polycarbonate lens has a lot of molded-in stress. But typically I saw haze and yellowing first, and then plastic deformation. This seems to be a nice white bubble.

The headlamp should have a UV hardcoat which protects the PC from UV rays (PC yellows if not protected from the sun). I;m wondering if it's the UV hardcoat that's actually bubbling up, not the PC. Since the UV coat is applied only on one side of the headlamp (typically, it saves money), verify that the inside of the headlamp is bubbled or not. If not, then it could be the coating, in which case you can polish it down and re-coat with a 3M headlamp kit or something.

Last thing I can think of is chemical attack: does your dad use cleaners on the headlamp? (for example, ammonia like Windex slowly attacks PC). It could be aggressive and attack the PC, which could cause premature failure. But since the headlamp should be coated with that UV hardcoat, you'd think cleaners wouldn't go through that....but who knows.

Yea it's definitely bubbled on both sides. I'll ask him if he washes his headlight with chemicals. As far as I've seen, he uses typical car soap all over the bike and that's about it, besides the water. And tire shine on his tires obviously...

Archived