The MT-07 Forum

Changing back from synthetic oil???

Guest 2wheeler

Guest 2wheeler

Not sure if this is crap, but I heard before that once you go with synthetic oil, you have to stay with synthetic oil. Is this true or just an old biker's tale?

Reason I ask is that I worked my way up from Yamalube dino oil to Castrol Actevo to Motul 7100. For the money, I prefer the Castrol, and it's about time for an oil change.

While I'm on this topic, I also heard that when you are running full synthetic, you should not add/top off with any other oil than a full synthetic. Also, when you are running a semi blend, it's OK to add either dino oil or full synthetic as well as a blend. Is there truth to any of this, or have I just been listening to too many old bikers?

Thanks in advance!

• Premium Member

Dose not matter these days.
I try to keep my oil in all my cars the same but if its low and I need to add I'm going to add what ever I can find. ( As long as it the right weight ect.)  

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

Dino Oil: Uses additives to create multi weight oil from straight weight oil
Synt Oil: The base oil itself is formulated to be multi-viscosity so that when the additives eventually gone from the oil the oil still behaves as a multi weight oil.

Change the oil with whatever you want as long as it meets Yamaha's specifications.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

Use what ever oil you want, but I wouldn't mix oils. They all have different additives and some may not interact well together.

And I'm not an oil snob. About 5 years ago after much research, and being sick of carrying 4 or 5 brands of fairly expensive motorcycle oils, I switched over to Shell Rotella. Boat, diesel tractor, street bikes, dirt bikes, and quads, I use synthetic and non-synthetic depending on the vehicle. It's cheap at Walmart, around $12 a gallon for the non synth, and a bit more for the synthetic, which is "jaso ma" rated for motorcycle wet clutches. I've had no issues over thousands of miles with any of the vehicles or with any manufacture of vehicle I've used it in, some that supposedly required specific oil. List of manufactures I've used Rotella in: BMW, Ducati, Honda, Kawasaki, KTM, Kymco, Suzuki, Triumph, Yamaha.

'16 Yamaha FZ-07, '15 Yamaha FZ-09

The effect on the clutch would probably be more apparent than any effect on the engine:[span]    [/span]

Oil's affect on motorcycle gear shift feel?

Check out this forum for more information about motor oil than you can stand!

[span][/span]Motorcycles and Motorcycle Lubrication

“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

Archived