The MT-07 Forum

Triple Tree Tool?

specialeddy

I went down. BENT forks. REPLACED forks... but i have a broken steering stop on lower triple tree. I am ordering new lower triple tree. Anyone know what tool is required to losen lower tree? Any links to any fz07 triple tree videos will be greatly appreciated.

you will need to replace the inner bearing race that sits at the bottom of the stem (there's no getting the old one off w/o damaging it). I've not touched mine, but can't recall there being a tool needed to unbolt the stem beyond needing a torque wrench.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...
you will need to replace the inner bearing race that sits at the bottom of the stem (there's no getting the old one off w/o damaging it). I've not touched mine, but can't recall there being a tool needed to unbolt the stem beyond needing a torque wrench.

Service manual says a special tool is needed... there is a bolt in the stem that requires a special wrench... but i have watched shade tree mechanics loosen the nut with a mallet and chisel.. which acually damages the nut in most cases.. the tool is about 15 to 30 bucks... i will just buy it as service manual suggested checking steering stem bearings periodically...

Just had a look at the parts blow-up. The bearing adjuster nut is yer basic castellated thing. It's probably not very tight as it sets the preload on the stem bearings. Any hook spanner will unscrew it. Is there a torque setting for the adjuster in the service manual?

My Aprilia "needs" a special (read expensive) tool to do this. It was a lot cheaper just to modify a socket to fit the adjuster.

In a pinch, w/o the tool, you can just do this by feel with a small (cheap) hook spanner.

I made a tool from an old bicycle headset G spanner. They are easily available and someone that has had bicycles for years my give you a used one as they pretty much are obsolete ( stems clamp on nowdays). I just resized the nub and re radiused the inner curve. Cheap and only took about 10 minutes.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 2 years later...
  • Premium Member

I've used a punch and a hammer, in a pinch, to loosen those kinds of nuts.

As other's have said, I've also made my own from a cheap socket and a grinding wheel. 

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member

CB3C6B7B-9B2C-40FB-BF1F-4F9F65B813E3.jpegI bought this from a guy, who took the measurements of the castle nut and made it. At the time I was debating whether to make my own or use (Rig) the pre-load adjuster for the OEM shock that Yamaha provides in the tool bag. I just bought it out of convenience, $25. Everything else you'll need are hex sockets and a torque wrench. This , just like @rick's homemade version eliminates the torque calculations for other tools. 

• Like 1