The MT-07 Forum

Another replacement lever question... sorry!

avanti

• Premium Member

I have read enough threads here about lever trying to answer my own question that my head hurts... perhaps, this query should have been placed in the "Garage" section of the Forum, but I thought this might have a broader readership--so, moderators please excuse me if you need to move this.

Anyway, I just returned from the Post Office mailing an incorrect pair of levers back to France (from Louisiana).  I really don't want such hassle again but I would like a specific style lever because of my hands--if I can find them (the lever; I usually know where my hands are)--and have some assurance they are genuinely correct for the 07.  The ones I returned were listed as such--NOT!.

I am looking for all black ones that not only adjust in distance from the grips but ALSO length of the lever.  Revzilla has Puigs that are exactly what I'm interested in BUT they inform me that the required mounting "perch" is not available for the 07.  The problem with the ones I just returned (I never got past the clutch lever) look like the Puigs and certainly were missing, at the least, a bushing to size the mounting bolt hole correctly... and, a spacer to fit the lever into the stock "perch."

I thought someone here had noted using the Puigs, but no joy for more info on that.  I'm not that concerned with cost--within some degree of reason--if I can find what I want.

Thanks, in advance for any info, leads, etc.--preferably from those with actual successful installation experience.  There are some such levers listed on ebay but I'd rather not do what might be another "iffy" fit--and then have to deal with the English/Chinese language barrier if finding a fitment problem, again; English/French was enough for me.

I just replaced my $20 Chinese black shorties with $22 Chinese black long version for a little more leverage on the clutch side, both sets fit in my stock perches just fine. The only difference in quality? is that the hardware on the long version wasn't even hand tight so that is something to check. Ebay has the extendable version in the same price range and probably wouldn't even be worth sending back were it me & I didn't like them, I'd just keep them as spares. Some people have said the black anodizing fades but I won't know for awhile, if ever since the bike is stored inside.

The joints//pivots weren't really any sloppier on the Chinese versions than my stockers for what that's worth. Although I'm not to keen on supporting the Chinese economy over ours, I'm also not to sure that some of the higher cost levers aren't also made there and I'm kind of glad I first purchased the cheap shorties since I've decided I like the long ones better so sort of a cheap experiment.

• Premium Member

Thanks, markster. The ones I'd gotten from France weren't cheap enough to "write off." Yes, I too have an issue needing one lever longer than the other. Which did you end up getting, please; from whom, if I may ask? There are a gazillion of them.

• Premium Member

Also, anyone have experience with "PSR GP" levers from powersportsperformanceplus on ebay??? They have a different kind of micro adjuster than any of the others I've seen.

• Premium Member

Actually, Goob, depending on how it hit the ground the bar could have been affected, too. Hard to say without knowing exactly how it was before since they are often tipped every which way when prepped by the dealer. Perhaps you could try and see if the two sides, left and right that is, are still mirror images of each other. Also, it might be good to have someone look at this who is not hyper-sensitive to small, or even imagined, differences as you may be after the drop. Just my nickel's worth. Good luck with it!

Avanti, the shorties were from Chinese company 'topmotorcycle16' and took about 2 weeks to get here and the longs were from 'cn_6960' an importer in Sacramento Calif. and took less than a week $22.99.

I have seen one company on ebay that will let you combine levers of your choice, long and short either side but since I already had shorties I ordered the longs so I can mix if I want, I actually liked the shortie on the brake side but not clutch.

I saw the roller adjuster version but couldn't seem to find a long lever version to try, might be worth looking for. l

Oh, one other thing, the shorties came with an even gloss black anodizing on perch end and levers but the longs came with gloss perch ends but a semi flattish levers but at least were consistent side to side.

• Premium Member
I'm in the market for some new levers also. Looking at the CRG's. That gets me to this. When I dropped my bike, the only damage I got was a totally bent clutch lever. But after riding home, I have it in my head that the left side of the handlebar is "bent." Is this possible? Maybe I'm being hyper aware, and I'm just thinking it's a tiny bit out of place, but it just doesn't seem the handlebar would be affected when all the force went to the clutch lever.
When I went down, my clutch lever was fine. but my bars got bent, the stock bars bend really really easily. I would recommend swapping them out. Its really easy and replacement OEM bars are less than $100.  
My 02. , change em.

'16 FZ07

• Premium Member

Thanks, guys! Appreciate the info.  I may give the PSR a try.  They are shipped from the States and the guy seems very responsive.  We'll see.  I got the others back in the post to Europe.  And, so it goes.

• Premium Member

Goob, you might consider starting a thread, if you don't find it here otherwise, asking what all is involved with and needed for changing the bar. I've no idea; however, if nothing else is damaged I don't see why all could not simply be swapped out.

• Global Moderator
Yeah, I'm gonna order a new bar. Yamaha parts house has them for $50. What else do I need though? Grips? Grip assembly? Just want to make sure I order everything I need. Thanks!
A lot of guys have changed their handlebars to different styles.  This might be a good opportunity to try something else, especially if you are thinking you might like a different riding position.  Just a thought... :)

• Premium Member

I had a pretty good online "conversation" with the guy I got the wrong levers from. He says he knows what happened, why, and has the correct ones... since I liked the looks and finish of the ones I got I'm going to give what are supposed to be the correct ones a try and go from there. I'll let ya know how this turns out. Thanks again, one and all!!!

Archived