The MT-07 Forum

Ixil Exhaust

V8titanpwr

Yeah, we took some video as well. So I will try to get a few clips posted as well.

Edit:

Went ahead and put the few clips together really quick. Filmed with my buddies GoPro. Apologize for the wind noise. Few quick revs, on board, and ride by. Ignore the "elf attire" we went to the dollar store and put together some makeshift costumes for under $5 to ride around town in for fun.  (rofl)

[video src=http://youtu.be/RkXufzdg9j0]

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice ... footwear too!
Edit - is that with the db killers in or out btw?

Current ride = 2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom

Nice ... footwear too! Edit - is that with the db killers in or out btw?
Thanks!  :) 
And that is with the Cat still installed, but the db killers removed.

What cat though? The stock cat? Is this a slip-on you have or the full exhaust?

Or does Ixil have a cat option I didn't see?

What cat though? The stock cat? Is this a slip-on you have or the full exhaust? 
Or does Ixil have a cat option I didn't see?

It's the full system and it comes with a cat installed where the O2 sensor is. I read on another forum that it can be removed, but I don't know how difficult it is or the process.

• Premium Member

Thanks!  :) 
And that is with the Cat still installed, but the db killers removed.
Those pipes are the best looking so far IMO. 

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• 4 weeks later...

Visually, I think the Ixil is by far my favorite. It's different, but still has a custom and oem look at the same time. Looks like it was meant to be on 07, but isn't overly gaudy. Seems like it provides good tone without being overly stupid loud, which is good for me. Most exhausts on the 07 look at least decent, but this dual tip Ixil gives me a muscle or ducati vibe. Love it.

Another thing to mention is that because of the 2 pipes you have 2 db killers so there's the option of having 1 left in and 1 out ... something the single pipe exhaust don't have.

Another thing to mention is that because of the 2 pipes you have 2 db killers so there's the option of having 1 left in and 1 out ... something the single pipe exhaust don't have.
This may or may not be a stupid question but will that cause weird resonance or vibration?  I think simplifying that question is probably a better idea.  Will having one baffle in and one out cause any issues? 
How much does this bad boy weigh compared to the OEM unit?

It's an option, but it would look really bad in my opinion. The baffle changes the size of the opening so they would appear different sizes.

There won't be any effect on vibration I'm 99% sure ... agreed on the view from behind with 1 baffle in and 1 out, but it's an option if sound trumps sight for someone.

Mine will be here tomorrow. Im hoping to have it installed at some point this week!

Yay!

I went with this over the yoshi because ive never been a fan of the carbon fiber look and the stainless can just didnt do it for me.

So...

Pipes came in today. They're heavy but i cant weigh them since i dont have a postal scale.

The welds are rough. There is weld splatter on the join between the can and the pipes which may make fitting the pipe to the can awfully hard but we will see.

There are no instructions, there was one sheet of paper in spanish and that was it which i do not believe to be instructions

I guess we will see how this pans out...but right now im really wondering why i paid 550 bucks for something that isnt quite as polished looking as the Yoshi.

That's too bad. This ixil is my favorite looking exhaust and the price is solid. Hopefully your install goes well and you are happy with the final result. Most other reviews/vids i've seen, people seem to praise the quality and finish of the ixil systems, so hopefully your experience does not become the norm.

I spoke with IXIL USA this morning and it was nice to actually have someone to speak to.

They were super helpful, very accommodating and wanted to know about the "issues' I was having.

I have a picture of the weld splatter that i can upload. They mentioned that i would probably want to grind that down prior to sticking the can into the header. He also mentioned that the welds were done by hand so they may look a little bit rougher than something done by a robot which im OK with.

maZd45.jpg

Ran across this new video of the sound of the Ixtil exhaust.

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAQ0kU3frQQ]

I am really liking the look and sound of this exhaust.

Well...how did install go? How's fit and finish? Happy with the system?
The install was very straight forward.  The hardest part was holding the header gaskets into their sockets while placing the header up against its recess. 
The exhaust hanger is very simple, it is one bolt so i didnt have to fiddle with much to get it bolted to the bike.

Once the header was on, i went ahead and installed the can, using some high temp RTV sealant between the can and the header pipe.

I then applied some blue loctite to the clamp that secures the can to the header as well as the screw that secures the can to the exhaust hanger.

Since there was no manual, there are no torque specs.  I called IXIL USA and they said they had no torque specs to give me but that it is really hard to over clamp the bolts.  I torqued the exhaust hanger to about 20 ft lbs and the clamp to about 10 which seemed adequate.  The blue loctite should hold both in place just fine.

I am not a mechanic but i am technically savvy so the install took me thirty minutes.  The hardest part of the whole thing was getting the old exhaust off since you dont want it to just clatter to the floor.  I stacked wood underneath the exhaust and progressively loosened the header, then the exhaust hanger etc until i could lower the unit onto the blocks and then remove it entirely.

As far as my impressions go...

At first, i ran the exhaust with the baffles but decided, what the hey, lets see how crazy this thing is.  Without the baffles it is loud, at least its loud to me.  My friends that have cruisers say its tame but that's just them puffing up their harley chests.  The exhaust has a nice, low, throaty rumble to it and when you really get on the gas it truly gives me the idea of the "brraaaapppp" that everyone loves to quote here.  I can now hear my exhaust at all rev ranges and highway noise no longer over rides the scooter like exhaust of the stock bike.  I find myself shifting easier (im a new rider) because i can better read how the engine "feels" via sound.

I love the look of the exhaust, i love the way it sounds and this has truly transformed the bike for me.  Feel is subjective and usually im a performance kind of guy but in this case, the bike feels more powerful, it feels more responsive and it feels like a real man's bike.

I hate to harp on the emotional aspect of the install since emotions are individual and hard if not impossible to quantify but i really am enjoying the bike more with this exhaust on it.  The factory bike really sounds...bad, like you're riding a moped or something that has 20 horse power.  It is not confidence inspiring and i actually stalled the bike several times at stop lights because i couldnt hear the revs when i went to go release my clutch to move forward.  As a new rider i WANT to be able to hear my throttle input so that i can learn how to properly modulate the throttle.

Looks are again subjective but i chose this exhaust because i REALLY loved the dual pipes and carbon fiber has never really done anything for me.  It was between this and the yoshi unit but the 120 dollar cheaper price and youtube videos, plus a desire to be different led me down this road.  I am absolutely, 100% pleased and the worst part about this is that if i ever get another bike, i dont know if i will be able to replicate this sound!  It is THAT amazing.

Lastly, the only "gripe" that i have is that the unit came with zero instructions (its pretty straight forward so its not that big of a deal) and there is quite a bit of popping upon deceleration.  I was told that this is due to the engine running fairly rich so a fuel commander or something of that sort will probably make its way onto the bike in the future.  So long as a rich mixture wont hurt the bike, im not going to worry too much about the popping since it actually sounds pretty neat.

AH, one more thing.  I took the bike last night on a nice 60 mile cruise and at 85, you can feel a little bit of vibration from the exhaust.  Its not enough to be uncomfortable but you definitely know that its revving underneath you.  I did not mind it but some end users might.

I will do my best to get more video of this thing without the DB killers but ive got to be honest, videos dont do this justice and every video ive seen so far has not and i must emphasis not, displayed how loud this bike really is without that stock, crappy exhaust.  I had no clue it was going to be this loud and i am beyond pleased.  I was hoping for something HALF as loud as what i got so my expectations have been blown out of the park.

• Premium Member
The install was very straight forward. ....
Now that, right there, is a completely helpful review.  Kudos! 
Some popping on deceleration is nomal, but heavier popping is typically a sign of running too lean.

In my personal experience with heavy popping, richening the mixture (with larger jets or a fuel controller) always lets the engine run cooler (safer), stronger and significantly reduces or eliminates the popping.

If you could do a video of a few drive-by's to hear what the Ixil sounds like under load, that would be cool.

Nice to read your install review ... I've got a pair speakers hooked up to my laptop so it sounds good to me, and loud but I currently have a Vulcan 900 with a v-twin and love that sound so this is right up my alley when I expect to get an FZ-07 and sell the cruiser.

More videos for sure pls!!

Seems like this exhaust is popular for this bike.

Dobeck Performance is looking to get the Ixil exhaust as an option in our Stage 1 kits.

Check out our vendor section to see what we have available.

Ixil Stage 1 Kit coming soon!

Stay Tuned

--TuningHQ

d5c39f57-59c4-41a4-b04f-036c853f2a64_zpse3f79d78.jpg

TuningHQ, im looking forward to picking up a fuel controller in the near future to couple with this exhaust. Your input would be greatly appreciated to get this thing running optimally.

Guys, the videos will have to wait for now. I low sided the bike yesterday and i need to get a few things fixed before i can ride it...yeesh... :)

Someone contact me local to do an EJK install on his FZ07 for thus exhaust. I will let you know the settings I come up with. Nice exhaust for sure

Archived