The MT-07 Forum

Remodel the front end. Completely changed.

Frosty

[div style=text-align:left]I haven't been on here in a while because I got another bike and the FZ has kind of been sitting being unused. Took her out the other day and I remembered how much fun she was. Anyway, being that I don't ride her as much anymore I want to completely change the look of the front end; clip ons, new headlight assembly, new blinkers. All that good stuff. If I get everything how I have it drawn up, it's going to look great.

My question is has anyone put actual clip ons on the forks? I don't want anything higher or much higher than the top triple tree. Should look pretty sleek from the side. From what I can tell if it's done right it won't hit the plastics. If so, I'll tape the bottom like i have my bars now so they don't scratch. Any links or websites would be helpful. I'm ordering the lights, new led strips for blinkers all the way around, and some other odds and ends pieces this week. So if I could order clip ons at the same time it would be great.

Also, I know it's going to be leaning farther and it's going to be uncomfortable, but I truly only use it now for the quick trip to the store or the wheelies... I mean uh I don't do those...

Haha Thanks in advance guys![/div]

Try mounting 41mm clip ons with risers. The issue is clearing the plastics without being too wide. Be our test guy and let is know if it works!

Would love to see how your project goes, bud. I've been thinking of doing the same thing but can't justify shelling out the cash if it doesn't work :/

have you tried the ergos with the bars that low? Woodcraft has 41mm clipons in a variety of heights. Just toss the plastic fork "cover" and you can put the clipons at any height you want.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

I don't think I will ever feel like I'm shelling out cash on this bike. Being that it is a cheaper bike, I can't see myself spending the most money on the most expensive nicest stuff for it.
I don't ride at night at all unless I get stuck so the headlight is going to be more for looks than function. Going custom.
And is it 41mm with or without the plastic on it and how do I take the plastic off without taking the forks apart?

AlbatrossCafe
I don't think I will ever feel like I'm shelling out cash on this bike. Being that it is a cheaper bike, I can't see myself spending the most money on the most expensive nicest stuff for it. I don't ride at night at all unless I get stuck so the headlight is going to be more for looks than function. Going custom.
And is it 41mm with or without the plastic on it and how do I take the plastic off without taking the forks apart?

41mm without the plastic. 
With the plastic, it is a bit different. The plastic tapers a bit. The skinnier part (towards the top) is about 48-49mm. These mounts fit pretty well there: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014KB2J1M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As you get lower on that plastic part it fattens a bit to like 50mm+. I couldn't fit those brackets over this part on mine.

If you want to take the plastic off, it is simple - just cut it. Cut a notch into the fatter part (more room there before scratching the forks) and then just rip them open. I can't remember exactly but those pieces are like $25 to replace for both. They are just covers and aren't integral to the forks in any way.

You can also just remove the triple clamp and take them off the top. You don't need to take off the wheel.

Here are a couple of pics so you can see how low that mount goes should you decide to use it:

http://i.imgur.com/6q8PPLq.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Carc1O8.jpg

Lift the front of the bike, remove the front wheel, then loosen the top and lower triple clamps. From here the forks will slide down and you can remove the plastic covers.

So I guess I'm taking the plastic covers off for the clip ons anyway so I'll have to get smaller mounts for the lights. which sucks because I like the black. Might just cut enough off to fit the clip ons.
I'm going to have to friendly decline the ape hangers and exhaust horn. My exhaust is loud enough haha

AlbatrossCafe
which sucks because I like the black.  

I agree... that's why I found clips that fit over them. The chrome-look is a little tacky on this bike lol 
The radiator guard is an R&G Cover and the side covers are these except the Euro/MT version. I bought them off @pgeldz a while ago... I think he had to order them from Europe?

I see these but they are Aussie money. So I think you have to get them from outside the US.

[div style=text-align:left]I haven't been on here in a while because I got another bike and the FZ has kind of been sitting being unused. Took her out the other day and I remembered how much fun she was. Anyway, being that I don't ride her as much anymore I want to completely change the look of the front end; clip ons, new headlight assembly, new blinkers. All that good stuff. If I get everything how I have it drawn up, it's going to look great. 
My question is has anyone put actual clip ons on the forks? I don't want anything higher or much higher than the top triple tree. Should look pretty sleek from the side. From what I can tell if it's done right it won't hit the plastics. If so, I'll tape the bottom like i have my bars now so they don't scratch. Any links or websites would be helpful. I'm ordering the lights, new led strips for blinkers all the way around, and some other odds and ends pieces this week. So if I could order clip ons at the same time it would be great.

Also, I know it's going to be leaning farther and it's going to be uncomfortable, but I truly only use it now for the quick trip to the store or the wheelies... I mean uh I don't do those...

Haha Thanks in advance guys![/div]
Am I really the only one who wants to know...  what's your other bike?!  :D 

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

A buddy of mine was deployed so I "took care" of his Honda Magna while he was gone. Safe to say I fell in love and will be buying one in the spring.

• 1 month later...

The problem with this particular bike and fitting REAL clip-ons ( the woodies aren't real clipons just a bolt on bar replacement), is going to be ergonomic. The seat relative to bar height is going to be a bit close. Probably fine for racing to get you right down, but waaay too much hand load with any real bar angle down ( as per clip on usual geometry ). Take a look at the side on picture at the top of the page and you can see how low the bars would end up relative to the seat height.  It will be made even worse as the extra load on the front will compress the forks more statically and much more under braking.
Plus if you have any real body height you will end up with a hunched back. Uncomfortable, restricts you abdominal breathing and your back/neck angle could be a problem ( especially with full face helmets).
Also if you lower your hand position, you have to rotate your footpeg position rearward and you foot controls downward to maintain your back/femur hip angle, your knee angle and a natural angle for your foot. This could be a problem with a muffler where it is.
 Interesting project though. Ask on the racer threads and see if someone has been there before. Just remember racing ain't road riding and you can get away with a lot of things for short ride time speed.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 3 weeks later...

@gregjet Putting clip ons on my bike would only lower my hands about an inch and a half. On a super sport, the hand and seat heights are almost level. I'm 5'6" on a good day so the height won't be a problem. They make adjustable rear sets for a reason. No offense, but all I asked was if someone did it. I didn't ask why I can't or shouldn't do it. It's custom and it's mine. If it doesn't work, i'll figure out what not to do and help others by finding out what won't work. The only problem with it is it isn't done yet.

I would love to know if anybody knows where I could get drl led switchback strips. The ones that are just white leds until you hit the blinker then flash amber until you turn them off. Some bright enough you can see during the day like they have on most new cars.

Sorry I asumed you were talking about "real" race type fork leg clipons. They would end up really low. I looked at it early on for fork leg ones and it looked pretty much track only height.
Even some of the raised cipons could work ( clamp on the leg but raise up above the triple clamps.
Easy size to get fork legs ones for though.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

@frosty buy 41mm Woodcraft clip ons with risers and try to fit those. That will be your best chance. I would predict though you may have interference with the body work at full lock and also with the head light. Try it out and let us know if it works!

They are real clip ons. They're going to go above the triple trees. The bike is already lowered in the front about an inch. And I will go with Woodcraft but at first I'm just going to get a cheap set so I can see if it works like I want it to before I drop $200 on clip ons. And I already have stoppers on the trees so it doesn't go to full lock anyway.

They are real clip ons. They're going to go above the triple trees. The bike is already lowered in the front about an inch. And I will go with Woodcraft but at first I'm just going to get a cheap set so I can see if it works like I want it to before I drop $200 on clip ons. And I already have stoppers on the trees so it doesn't go to full lock anyway.
Share photos when done! Are you worried about dropping the front at all?

I would love to know if anybody knows where I could get drl led switchback strips. The ones that are just white leds until you hit the blinker then flash amber until you turn them off. Some bright enough you can see during the day like they have on most new cars.
www.theretrofitsource.com

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got the clip ons on the bike. Put everything back on that it needed to drive and she rode great! The rearsets are no where near as bad as I thought they would be so i might wait a while to spend the 400 on those. It's comfortable, just a little harder to turn now, but that's only because the bars are narrower. Next up is the headlight.

IMG_0093.jpg

post images

Archived