The MT-07 Forum

New Member from Memphis, TN

donjuanmon

Hey guys! So I recently stumbled across this forum and thought to myself "hey, why not join this forum representing one of the coolest new bikes around?" :)  I do not currently own the FZ-07 but every time I walk into the local Yamaha dealership, I sit on one and think of how great of an improvement it is over the FZ8. I mention this as I formerly owned a FZ8, loved it, and I'm happy of the improvements that the FZ-07 has to offer such as the reduced weight, 58 mpg, as well as the enhanced styling (among others). 

I'm planning on waiting for either the 2nd or 3rd model year. Why? Well, I recently traded down from the Yamaha FZ8 to a Honda CBR250R. Yeah I know you MUST be wondering "why in the heck did you do that?!" The reason being was that I wanted to focus on temporarily lowering my monthly payment and insurance costs, whereby I ended up saving around $140 per month. Mission accomplished! Well, lol, here I am having read countless website articles, magazine reviews, and youtube videos. Now I wish I would have traded the FZ8 for the FZ-07. The monthly savings would have still been lower by $80.  It's okay though as I'm curious about what changes will take place on the 2016 model.

Congratulations if you're fortunate enough to own the FZ-07. It certainly is a great addition to the Yamaha line-up. 

For those that do not currently own it, what upgrades would you like to see on the 2016 model FZ-07?

• Global Moderator

Hi, donjuanmon ! Thanks for joining and introducing yourself.
There is always room for improvement but it is a 07 is a great bike right out of the box.
What you could to is put your CBR up for sale to test the waters and see what happens. That's what I did and I ended up selling my bike (a WR205X) for more then I paid for two years earlier. It opened the door to a FZ-07 and I have no regrets.

Welcome to the forum

As for FZ07 upgrades, I think most say suspension, though it doesn't bother me. Also some have had stalling issues.
Change the look of the turn signals, offer an OEM tail tidy as an option

Welcome! If you weigh under 170 lbs then the suspension will probably be just fine for you. If you weigh over 195, I would look at new fork springs, rear spring and probably revalve the forks. We have a great suspension tuner here an forks can be sent in to him in the winter to be dialed in for your settings. Or not.

Mods are all about personal preference an I know a tn of people who love their bikes stock an enjoy them very much.

Welcome fellow Memphian! What part of town are you in? I'm out in the Cordova/Bartlett area, near Shelby Farms.

I've only had the bike for 6 days ha, so I can't thoroughly speak on its faults, though any I can say it has are all minor in my book. I haven't had many stalling issues, but I can tell it does run a tad lean. That's not really something that needs to be corrected for future model years as much as it's just something they actually intended but can be modified with a tune, etc.

Also, I just found another thread on here regarding the throttle tube... I was having a little bit of a hard time perfectly blipping the throttle on downshifts and this may help remedy that, but I'm going to wait until my muscle memory catches up to see if it's not just operator error ha.

Aside from those two minor things, anything else I would want to do right now is primarily cosmetic or just an "add-on" - fender eliminator, new pipes (for sound more than anything, extra performance is just gravy), frame sliders, small wind screen, radiator cover/protector etc.

Hope to see you around town! Ride safe!

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Welcome donjuanmon! Glad you joined our little group and hope you eventually get one of these fun bikes.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi Guru! Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I've heard that the FZ-07 is great out of the box. In fact I don't supposed I'd do much of any upgrading once I get one. That's outside of frame sliders and a radiator shield. Of course little cosmetic things for personalization might come in the future, such as clutch/brake levers.

Welcome to the forum 
As for FZ07 upgrades, I think most say suspension, though it doesn't bother me. Also some have had stalling issues.
Change the look of the turn signals, offer an OEM tail tidy as an option
Ok, gotcha! I've read a little about the stalling issues, but I could've sworn people were writing about the FZ-09. Everyone references that bike in terms of it having a great engine yet needing a serious upgrade when it comes to suspension. Thanks for the welcome!

Welcome! If you weigh under 170 lbs then the suspension will probably be just fine for you. If you weigh over 195, I would look at new fork springs, rear spring and probably revalve the forks. We have a great suspension tuner here an forks can be sent in to him in the winter to be dialed in for your settings. Or not.  
Mods are all about personal preference an I know a tn of people who love their bikes stock an enjoy them very much.
Thanks! And, lol, I weigh WELL under 170 lbs so the suspension definitely won't be a problem. I'm less than 140lbs and am a bit on the short side. I don't have to lower the FZ-07 but will most likely lower it by an inch or two via soupy's lowering links (once one becomes available). As for performance upgrades, I'll probably never get into that. I imagine that the 07 must feel just as fast if not faster than the fz8, and that was plenty enough for me. The suspension upgrades can only help to make a nicer riding experience though. Have you upgraded your suspension?

Welcome fellow Memphian! What part of town are you in? I'm out in the Cordova/Bartlett area, near Shelby Farms.  
I've only had the bike for 6 days ha, so I can't thoroughly speak on its faults, though any I can say it has are all minor in my book. I haven't had many stalling issues, but I can tell it does run a tad lean. That's not really something that needs to be corrected for future model years as much as it's just something they actually intended but can be modified with a tune, etc.

Also, I just found another thread on here regarding the throttle tube... I was having a little bit of a hard time perfectly blipping the throttle on downshifts and this may help remedy that, but I'm going to wait until my muscle memory catches up to see if it's not just operator error ha.

Aside from those two minor things, anything else I would want to do right now is primarily cosmetic or just an "add-on" - fender eliminator, new pipes (for sound more than anything, extra performance is just gravy), frame sliders, small wind screen, radiator cover/protector etc.

Hope to see you around town! Ride safe!
Thanks Aeisan! I never thought I'd meet a fellow Memphian on here, but that goes to show how great of a bike the FZ-07 is. I've met a few guys in biker clubs here and most of the ones I've come across are either stunters or uninterested in streetfighters. I'm not a stunter... if I were it'd be at a track. For some reason I think the 07 and 09 will attract even more people to the naked style bikes. 

Wow! You've only had your bike for 6 days huh? That must be nice. What color did you get? 
I'm in Germantown, but pass through Cordova quite frequently. Not to much though as Germantown Pkwy is a beast. There is soooooo much traffic there! 

As for the stalling issue... do you think you'll get a ecu tune in the future?
I want to see the upgrades once you're finished. It'll be nice to see how much different it looks with the fender eliminator. Do you plan on going with a radiator cover from Yamaha or an aftermarket company? I can totally understand why you'd get one of those, I plan to get one in the future (once I own the bike, ofcourse). I was just thinking how I DON'T want it to have "FZ-07" text written on it as I'm sure everyone knows what it is, especially the owner! lol 

I'll have to wait and see what colors will be available for the 2016 model. Going by the current availability I'd have to say I'd choose the liquid graphite with blue/purple (blurple?) wheels, although I must say that it looks pretty sweet in every color.

Hope to see you around some time. I'm sure you'll be the only person, in Memphis, with a FZ-07 for a while. Take care and ride safe!

Welcome donjuanmon! Glad you joined our little group and hope you eventually get one of these fun bikes.
Thanks hippiebikerchick, I appreciate ya! :)  

A co-worker of mine has a CBR1000 that he turned into a street fighter. Pretty sick bike. Other than that, I can't say I know too many others with them personally. Definitely see mostly supersports and even some crazy cool customs around town. I'm not a stunter at all either ha... I just like to ride, and try to do so as safely as I can! That doesn't mean I won't get the front wheel up every now and then once I get more comfortable with the bike, but I'll try to be reasonable ha.

I got the liquid graphite/blurple color... By far my favorite of the three options. I was shooting for a dark/all black bike ever since I saw the FZ8 in grey and all black (both looked good to me), but this option is just the right amount of accent color in just the right places in my opinion. I almost settled for a red one, but very glad I waited and found this one.

I work in the Southwind area, and unfortunately the only decent way to get to work thanks to the Wolf River is via Germantown Pkwy. I know Germantown quite well... My former girlfriend lives there as do a few friends. I pass through every day to and from work.

I'm sure I'll get a tune or power commander at some point. It's not high on my list right now though. I want to tackle some of the more cosmetic things (that are also cheaper) on my list first, then the exhaust then tune for the new exhaust. Not sure about the radiator cover... Not looking for style, just something subtle that keeps rocks, etc. from messing up the radiator fins too much. Can totally meet up some time once I get some things done if you want to take a look in person.

I haven't seen any around town yet, but three different dealers each told me they are gone within days of getting them in. I'm sure some folks were coming from out of town, but I would think there are a few around town. I'll have to get out more and go looking for them!

Life is good on 2 wheels!

Welcome! I grew up in Memphis & Collierville, moved away for college. Now I'm in Huntsville, AL. Cool to see some semi-local people on the forum.

Cool, let's meet up sometime. I'll be rollin in the cbr250r for now at least until a nice chunk is paid off. Might end up buying the FZ07 next winter, as there will likely be some deals.

I'm excited to see your bike in person. You definitely picked the best color combo (in my opinion). I wonder how much hp your future exhaust will add. Keep in touch!

Archived