The MT-07 Forum

What are your winter mods gonna be?

bugeyes

For many of us the season is coming to an end and all we can do with the bikes goes on in the garage, curious about what you have planned.

For me...

Pretty sure...
SW Motech center stand - already on order and will be installed when it arrives, good to have during winter storage as it offloads the wheels. -- DONE
Tank pads - Looking now to find out what to buy, want some for knee grip and protection so that I don't get too intimate with the tank all the time. A bit sensitive to looks on these. -- DONE
Radiator cover - Looking for something that does not look cheap China but more like it was meant to be there. -- DONE
Some drop protection - Like frame sliders and engine covers, will look in to what to get during the off season -- Frame and axle sliders on order from EBay
Fender extenders both front and hugger to keep some dirt off -- FRONT DONE, REAR DONE
Mirror extenders - DONE

Maybe if I feel I have the money for it...
Seat upgrade would be nice, tried the Yamaha comfort seat and liked it.
Suspension and especially forks, don't like the way they dive but I don't want to just stiffen them up, need to look deep into this -- POSTPHONED AS I THINK IT'S OK AS IT IS FOR ME

Already done...
Akra TI full system
Aftermarket clutch & brake adjustable levers
Ermax windscreen
Mini LED turn signals
Fender eliminator
SW Motech alu rack
GIVI 40 l top box
SW Motech center stand
Radiator cover
Front fender extender (carbon of eBay)
Pyramid hugger extender
Tank pads

I've done mostly all the performance and styling mods I wanted besides suspension. So in the next 2 months I'm going to strive to get new front forks at the least. If I can afford a rear shock too that be great. But def need to tackle that front end issue if I am going to get faster. Right now I find the front end going wide everytime I push it down lower to carve thru canyons. Hopefully if we have a warmer winter here in LA I'll be able to still ride and play with the settings to dial it in before spring hits.

'15 Pearl White FZ-07 | Yoshi R77 Exhaust | ECU Reflash | Mad Hornets Shorty Levers | EvoTech Rad Guard | Yamaha Comfort Saddle | TST Industries Integrated Taillight | Motodynamics Fender Eliminator | Yamaha OEM Front LED Signals | Phillips MaxVision 130+ Bulb | OES Front/Rear Axle Sliders | Driven Racing TT Rearsets | Woodcraft 1.5" Clip-Ons | Woodcraft Engine & Water Pump Crash Cover | OEM Motocage Cage | LEDGlow SMD Mini Advanced Lighting Kit | Gilles Tooling Gauge Relocation Kit |

Trying to convert mine to track only bike this winter, if I could get my hands on some aftermarket tank over. Had a set of clip-ons sitting around for couple months now :/

I will start wearing my Bohn armor under my jeans and start wearing my jacket as well. If it gets too cold I will switch to my all leather Bates boots. I have a balaclava somewhere so that will prob get used and I still have my Tourmaster, winter gloves from 1983. Oh, and long socks.

Beemer

• Premium Member

Whats winter? I love seasons so much that's why I move to a place that skips all the $h!T ones.

Here is my list,

Rear shock, Front suspension, lower cowl. and another 20k miles.

'16 FZ07

First one complete, centerstand in place. Radiator cover on order so that will be next.

Good thread. As a suggestion, please take a sec and post links to the items you are talking about so that others can click and investigate what you are talking about.

Winter is the time for upgrades as we cant ride anyways and then when spring comes, ya almost have a new bike!

Winter is also the time to do suspension work.

• Premium Member

I'm goning to re-route the wires for my innovv dashcam system and charger cable dealy for my phone.

• Premium Member

- Figure out why my front fender won't align correctly. Driving me nuts. Replace the white plastic fairing pieces because I broke the little tabs on BOTH sides. After removing my fork legs and assembling everything back together the whole fender assembly is pointing to the right.

- Replace headlight plastics on the right side because it's crooked and a rear plastic piece that's scratched from when I dropped her. :(

- Send out my Yoshimura Carbon Fiber exhaust can back to Yoshimura to get the end cap replaced. $100 with labor to replace it. Also scratched from when I dropped her. :(

- Ordering another bottle of Stain Magic from Yoshimura to clean my headers. Seriously this stuff works awesome. I never cleaned my pipes from May 2015 when it was installed until last week. I clean the bike a whole lot just not the headers. They came out 87% perfect with just a quick rush job. I'm going to pull the headers this winter and make them look brand new again. Highly recommend it.

- Pulling the wheels and tires to put on some more dual purpose track & street tires. Pretty sure I'm going with these guys: Pirelli Diablo Rossi III front and rear.

- Finally install my rear Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Line I picked up from @bellissimoto a few months ago. The front lines have been installed for a while and they feel AND look awesome.

This list will absolutely grow. Need to check my notepad list on my phone. That's where I keep all the mods/maintenance for each bike so I don't forget.

:: '15 Pearl White FZ-07 - OES Frame/Fork/Swingarm Sliders - Motodynamic LED Tail - Yoshimura Fender Eliminator - RIDEIT Levers - Yoshimura R-77 Carbon Exhaust - Seat Concepts - Evotech Radiator Guard & Pillion Kit - TechSpec Grip - Cyclops H4 LED - LED Turn Signals - Progrip 699s - R6 Throttle Tube - K&N Filters - SM M1 Handlebars - EPFA Pads - Gilles Rearsets - 2WDW ECU Flash - CRG Arrows - Forks By Matt Cartridges - K-tech Razor-R Shock - GoCruise Throttle Lock::

• Premium Member

Nothing special for winter... on anything. I'm typically working on/modifying something nearly all the time.

I did just get the correct AVDB-MOTO levers from France today and put them on. It works much better when sent the ones of the 07 and not for some other Yama! I've another thread about this and will report on these levers shortly, when time permits... gotta run for now.

I'm almost done with mine and it's only november, need to come up with some more :)
Updated my original post with status

No real "take bike down and mod it in the winter" for my as it is my only transportation and I ride even sub zero temps.

However I do plan on finishing my R6 upper fairing/headlight transplant for some better wind protection. So far ive just got the headlight and stay mounted. Still waiting on the fairing, screws, windshield, and mirror blockoffs.

- Figure out why my front fender won't align correctly. Driving me nuts. Replace the white plastic fairing pieces because I broke the little tabs on BOTH sides. After removing my fork legs and assembling everything back together the whole fender assembly is pointing to the right. 

- Replace headlight plastics on the right side because it's crooked and a rear plastic piece that's scratched from when I dropped her. :(

- Send out my Yoshimura Carbon Fiber exhaust can back to Yoshimura to get the end cap replaced. $100 with labor to replace it. Also scratched from when I dropped her. :(

- Ordering another bottle of Stain Magic from Yoshimura to clean my headers. Seriously this stuff works awesome. I never cleaned my pipes from May 2015 when it was installed until last week. I clean the bike a whole lot just not the headers. They came out 87% perfect with just a quick rush job. I'm going to pull the headers this winter and make them look brand new again. Highly recommend it.

- Pulling the wheels and tires to put on some more dual purpose track & street tires. Pretty sure I'm going with these guys: Pirelli Diablo Rossi III front and rear.

- Finally install my rear Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Line I picked up from @bellissimoto a few months ago. The front lines have been installed for a while and they feel AND look awesome.

This list will absolutely grow. Need to check my notepad list on my phone. That's where I keep all the mods/maintenance for each bike so I don't forget.
You'll like the Rosso III's, but depending how fast you are at the track, you may want Pirelli's SuperCorsa SP's.  They are a true street/track tire.  You can definitely run the Rosso III's at the track, but if you're in the faster groups, you may want a little more grip.

- Paul

www.bellissimoto.com

No real "take bike down and mod it in the winter" for my as it is my only transportation and I ride even sub zero temps. 
However I do plan on finishing my R6 upper fairing/headlight transplant for some better wind protection. So far ive just got the headlight and stay mounted. Still waiting on the fairing, screws, windshield, and mirror blockoffs.
How do you deal with slippery roads?

How do you deal with slippery roads?
Same way I do rain. Just take it slow. If there happens to be a lot of snow on the ground I keep it outside the powerband and have my feet down as I'm riding for extra stability.

Biggest thing olis to go slow. Don't lean. And treat your brakes as gently as you would a baby. So far no incidents for 6 winters.

Wow, that is something! I can't imagine riding in snow. Dirtbike with trelleborg/mitas tires, yes.
I used to commute all year long - except when the roads were snow covered in the morning. i stopped when the bikes got really expensive and did not fall well w/o doing a lot of expensive (and maybe disabling) damage.   
Been caught on snow covered roads a few times in 4+ decades of riding - it ain't no fun. Even just getting rolling from a stop can be really hard if you are facing uphill. Touch the front brake going downhill and you can wind up on the ground. Never crashed from those adventures, and was always happy to get home. 

hmm, it's snowing out there right now. 

Akra ti installed
Woodcraft 1.5 clipons in up position installed
Rizoma screen installed
Bar end mirrors installed
Sound bomb mini horn installed.
ECU flash shortly.

...is it spring yet???

Wow, that is something! I can't imagine riding in snow. Dirtbike with trelleborg/mitas tires, yes.
I got caught out in flash snows, 1 inch on I-95. I decided to turn around before it got any worse. Wiped out on sheet ice on I-94 north of Chicago. Nearly T-boned a bus because I couldn't stop without locking up the wheels. All on street tires. 
Dry pack snow isn't that bad actually. It's the wet stuff or ice that'll ruin your day. I don't push the danger like that anymore.
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Archived