The MT-07 Forum

After the RAIN

Paladin

• Premium Member
How long should you wait after it rains to ride again?  A day...a couple days...???  Thanks!!
Why wait?  Gear up, ride, rinse, lube chain. :) 
I actually avoid riding in heavy rain, but even then, I've been caught and it's not a big deal.  Just realize the road will be slippery and especially the paint lines / areas.  Even if you hate wet roads, there is no good reason to wait any longer than the road takes to dry.

Why can't left turners see us?

If you have the michelin pilot road 3s, then you can ride in the rain!

If you mean what the msf teaches you about how the road may be slippery after it rains... uh... you can ride in rain!!   Anyway, I'm guessing they just mean a few hours (like 1-2) after the road dries up if it is a heavily traveled road.

Honestly, I ride in the rain, I ride a day after it rains, whatever, if you are doing some type of city commuting, you will be just fine. Just be much more smoother with all your inputs. Don't be aggressive. Don't speed. You will be fine.

The only people who should be concerned about rain, cold temps, post rain slippery roads, etc are those sporting summer only tires.  Oh yeah, also... is your tire scrubbed good?  I guess that should be a factor too.  Maybe if your chicken strips are 2 plus inches, then yeah just ride cautiously after it rains.

• Premium Member

Yep, like @rowdy said, don't be as jerky with the inputs/throttle and if the painted lines are still wet then be careful of those.
Also, watch for places where sand/gravel/dirt could have washed down to on the road.

Guest 2wheeler

My longest ride to date was an eleven day/2300 mile ride in New England where it rained 8 of the 11 days starting with day 1. This was a solo camping trip on a 1982 Yamaha Seca 750.

When it started raining on that first day, I found my self riding at or below the speed limit on the interstates. I realized that I needed to man up and ride with the cars, and more importantly the trucks, or I was likely going to die. That trip was when I learned how to rain ride. Better yet, it was when I learned to like riding in the rain.

Like everyone said, you just have to ride extra smart. You also need to wear the right gear as well as having a Rain-X type coating on your windshield as well as your helmet. Growing up in the North, the snow mantra was never turn quick, accelerate quick, or break quick. This pretty well applies to rain riding too.

Honestly I think it is well worth it for any serious motorcyclist to get out and practice riding in the rain which would include emergency manuevers. Unless you go to great lengths to never ride in the rain, you will likely get caught eventually. Many of us on this site have dirt bike experience. There is a lot to be said for knowing how to be comfortable if the bike starts sliding on you. That includes both the front and rear wheel sliding.

Off subject but as a UK rider the thing that stands out on that video
is how big a gap your drivers leave when in a traffic queue, here the
bumpers are near touching pity they don't leave a gap as it give you
room to duck into if you need to, interesting.

As for raining, if you did not ride here if it rained you would likely
not ride at all, likely why a lot of UK bikes only do about 1800 miles a year.

You can't be serious.
:-S
:|
:-/
B-|
8-|
I usually just wait until I feel enough of the road is dry. An indicator I go by is when I only see small puddles here and there. I don't know about anywhere else but the sun here in Fl. usually dries the roads within a couple hours.

Beemer

Elvishpresley

I actually like to ride in the rain. It's better to go out and ride in it and get comfortable than to get caught in it unexpected and be afraid of it.

• Global Moderator

The only time I would not ride in the rain is after it has been dry for a long time. It gets pretty slippery for the first half hour or so until the oil on the road is washed away.

• Premium Member

WAITING? For what?! :P

+1 with what @mjh937 said.

Once all that oil is gone, just ride.
Also leaves. Those are slippery fellows also.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Guest ChicagoAJ

Any type of car wax on your helmet's visor is awesome at repelling water. Never do more than one thing at a time in the rain: don't accelerate hard and turn, don't brake and turn. Hold speeds constant for turns, brake easily, and accelerate smoothly.

You should have no problems.

• Premium Member
Any type of car wax on your helmet's visor is awesome at repelling water. Never do more than one thing at a time in the rain: don't accelerate hard and turn, don't brake and turn. Hold speeds constant for turns, brake easily, and accelerate smoothly.  
Car wax! Great tip. 

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Thanks for the input, everyone!! This site is helping a lot as I am a new rider with only marginal experience here and there.

VR/
Paladin

I had Metzlers on a bike I just sold and they were the best rain tyres I
ever had you could go just as fast wet or dry never had a single moment on them.

Elvishpresley
Car wax! Great tip.
I use orange pledge and micro fiber cloth on my visors. cleans and light waxing.

Archived