The MT-07 Forum

Jerky shifting

armydude52c

The thing about getting a smooth shift, which long time riders don't even realize they are doing, is to rematch the throttle position to where it was, before the change. The load on an engine determines the throttle opening. With a close(ish) ratio gearbox like this, though the revs drop as you change up, the throttle will need to be in about the same spot to match the load. I am talking trying to shift smooth here, not optimium power acc, where you shove it into the next gear, with it wide ( and blipped) open, and slip the clutch in to match, but ordinary riding. Same on the way down. Although the revs will rise, the throttle position for that load from the wheels will need about the same throttle position.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

The transmission itself shifts beautifully on mine, almost effortlessly. The down-taps when stopping are like butter.

What I don't like is the clutch. It's heavy and clunky. The clutch on my old Ninja was much smoother, more progressive, and definitely lighter. I also hate these levers and will likely swap them out next season...

• 1 month later...

An 07 clutch is neither heavy nor clunky. Or at least it shouldn't be. Might want to look at the cable ( broken cable strand?) or clutch adjustment, top and bottom.

Some bikes don't like some oils, so that is also possible. My Cagiva Raptor ( SV650 motor but Italian clutch) would shift revoltingly with Motul in it.

Also check the lever pivot hasn't been tightened up too much . It should be "almost" floppy

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 3 weeks later...

ShiftJerky.png

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Archived