The MT-07 Forum

Dash replacement fraud?

baron

How hard would it be to buy a dash from eBay with low miles and put it on a bike that had high miles?  NOT asking because I want to do that, asking because Im a bit suspicious of a used bike Im looking at.

Does Yamaha have a safeguard to prevent such shenanigans with odometer reading?

If I'm not wrong the digital dash odometer reads and displays ECU's information including the odometer.

I see dash's for sale on eBay that look like the pic is showing a mileage for that separate dash. I would like to think it isn't that easy to buy a dash off a crashed bike and hide higher miles during a resale. It makes sense that the ECU should be the brain, but then whats to keep an ecu from being replaced or for that matter reprogrammed?

Is it really super easy to make a bike with 15k miles look like it has 2000 just with a couple hundred dollar swap?

• Premium Member

I was thinking of getting an extra ECU to flash so I didn't have to modify my stock ECU. If the mileage is on the ECU then it seems like the original miles wouldn't show on the new ECU.
You would hope that the ECU is coupled with the bike to prevent fraud of that nature. Guess not?

Easy to do also. 2 bolts and unclip wire connector.

If you suspect low mileage, check foot peg rubbers for wear. What tires are on. Chain wear.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

Nope,new dash new mileage.
You're right. I just spoke with peps from my Yamaha service department. This is their answer "The odometer count is stored in a chip on the instrument cluster and in the ECU. If ECU is swapped the odometer stays unchanged. The ECU readings are for maintenance and service purposes only and it might or might not match the dash odometer".   

thanks, Ill have the dealer take a look. A 2.5 hour drive and the excitement and confusion to buy a used bike for the wife meant I missed some stuff.

Now that I have a chance to look, the bike was clearly laid down I just can't tell how baD. A few screws missing here and there, It's supposed to have 4500 miles on it but I think it has a lot more. It looks like the guy cleaned it up to sell. at first it looked like normal wear stuff but now that I look closer it's not what I had hoped for.

It seems to run OK although I haven't ridden another fz07. getting off the fz10, the 07 feels pretty underpowered, but no strange sounds or behavior. It has a yosh exhaust and an ecu flash (supposedly)

nice matstad windscreen set. crg levers, arrow mirrors that are supposed to be less than a year old but the left side anodizing is pretty faded.

riding it home I noticed the dash was ever so slightly off. Most people wouldn't have noticed but......that got me suspicious, and now Im really wondering if this isn't a crash rebuild.

I definitely paid way too much.

Live and learn

A LOT of people move the dash forward and down . It's easier to view that way. Someone may have done that and put it back for sale.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

I know for a fact that what you described is possible. When hubs bought his brand new FZ09 from a dealer the dash had a big scratch on it. The dealer ordered a new one for him and hubs rode the bike over 600 miles before the new one came in. When they swapped it out (abracadabra!) a bike with zero on the odometer!

That doesn't mean the seller did anything sneaky but it is possible. Caveat emptor.

Illegitimi non carborundum

I know how you feel. Bought my fz used, guy said yes it has damage on the plastics and the right side. I bought it anyway because the plastics aren't expensive to replace. As I start taking it apart to change things I see how fucked up it really is. My headlight has crimped wires all over for example. So disappointing. I almost want to sell it and start fresh with a new one. Live and learn indeed

• 2 weeks later...

Still haven't had a chance to have the Dealer take a look but thought Id post a pic :)
At Any rate, She's very happy with the bike.

alanna_and_bike.jpg

Archived