The MT-07 Forum

Ohlins Universal Steering Damper?

blackout

• Premium Member

I'm looking to install a universal Ohlins steering damper, but can not find any part numbers or specs on any of their dampers.  All the websites require you to type in a bike, but that won't work as they do not make one for the FZ-07.  Does anyone know who sells these dampers for universal use?

Thanks.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

Never mind, I found what I was looking for. :)

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

I'm building a track bike slowly, but have not experienced any need for a steering damper. Not sure if I'll add one or not, but all the supersports seem to have them.

Oppracing.com has the universal dampers on their site along with dimensions.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Most/all racing orgs require one as a sop to stupid people who build their bikes to be unhealthily unstable. You should ask @pgeldz what he's using.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member

I'm not actually using a steering damper. I looked into them a while back, but none of them currently on the market are plug and play with my set up.

I'd like to use one, but really haven't found the need with this bike yet with my current set up. I have been in talks with Bitubo to develop something, but not sure if it'll come to fruition - they are extremely busy getting ready for the EICMA show in Milan, with new product releases.

- Paulie

• Premium Member

Good info Paulie, thanks!

The cold is here in NY now and salt will be on the roads soon enough. My current winter plan is to build a rigid front fairing utilizing a 2015 FZ1 windscreen. This would move the headlight forward and give room for a front mounted Ohlins steering damper. I feel the front could benefit from some down force which the cowl would add. The instrument cluster could be moved farther forward to be viewed easier. And no more annoying wind hitting my helmet. I just hope I can make something that looks cool. lol It's going to rain all day tomorrow, so I may pull the front headlight off to take some measurements.

• Like 2

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

Taking measurements this weekend, it looks like siding mounting the damper will package better than mounting in front. I would need to notch the left radiator guard to clear the damper, which I have no problem doing.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• 2 years later...
JaySport0813

Has anyone installed a steering damper mount on a fz07? I tried to install it yesterday and could not find any video or instructions on how to place the mount. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

GPR is near my town.  I went to them to mock up a steering damper solution and they built me one custom for my street triple R.  If anyone would like me to I can ride the FZ over there for measurements etc. You can order one custom.  Owner charged me the same price as a new one.

Edited by Chomorro