The MT-07 Forum

Was given an OTD price today...Thoughts??

jonathsk

I live out in Arizona and a friend and I are looking to buy the 2016 FZ-07s (one each).
After looking through the forums, craigslist ads, etc. we were hoping to get them for, at most, $7200 OTD...based on the market.

We were able to negotiate the dealer down from their original offer of $7799 to $7500 (cash).  I still feel this is a little high given that the 2017 is coming out soon, one of the bikes they carry is not the color we want, and there are used offers (<1k miles) for less than $7k.

What are your thoughts?  Should we jump on them or do you think we should stay firm on our $7200 price point?

Thanks.

Phoenix or Tucson? In Chandler that would be a decent if unspectacular deal (Costco price is $7800).

The 2017 price is higher, so that won't give you leverage on a 2016.

I bought used. If we get another for my wife I may well go with the West Virginia dealer asking $5995 OTD on eBay. Haulbikes.com will bring it here for $500.

year end discounts off MSRP should be in the neighborhood of 15-18%. The 2017 is sufficiently different that the 16 should be a little bit harder to move. Some states have inventory taxes on anything that is carried over so dealers need to toss their old inventory if they can. Down in AZ there is no end of the riding season so may not be as accommodating.

That WVA dealer wouldn't happen to be Romney Cycles would it? Excellent outfit IMO.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

That WVA dealer wouldn't happen to be Romney Cycles would it? Excellent outfit IMO.
Tri County.  I know nothing about them except what's on eBay.  I've used HaulBikes, though, and can recommend them.

@Beemer the $5940 was a used bike was it not? 5600 invoice + freight + prep (don't give them more than 2hrs of shop rate, if anything) + doc fee and you should be $6300 or less + local taxes. The 5995+500 from WVA you're still going to owe state tax.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

The 5995+500 from WVA you're still going to owe state tax.
No WVA sales tax, I believe, if they don't deliver in state.  AZ registration, of course, but that's not too bad a hit.

• Premium Member

If he doesn't pay tax in the state he bought it from (when buying from a dealer), he will be charged when he registers in AZ. The only time you aren't charged tax in AZ is for private party sales. If he can finagle that, more power to him. Or he can buy mine and save 2 grand. :)

I went through this last August when I bought my Ninja brand new in CA. The dealer couldn't figure out how to NOT charge me tax without jumping through all kinds of hoops, so I paid there. When I went to MVD here, the agent specifically looked at the invoice to see if sales tax had been collected or not. It was something like .45 percent difference, in their favor, so I wasn't too concerned about it.

- Andy

If he doesn't pay tax in the state he bought it from (when buying from a dealer), he will be charged when he registers in AZ. The only time you aren't charged tax in AZ is for private party sales. If he can finagle that, more power to him. Or he can buy mine and save 2 grand. :) 
I went through this last August when I bought my Ninja brand new in CA. The dealer couldn't figure out how to NOT charge me tax without jumping through all kinds of hoops, so I paid there. When I went to MVD here, the agent specifically looked at the invoice to see if sales tax had been collected or not. It was something like .45 percent difference, in their favor, so I wasn't too concerned about it.

Good to know.  I bought used from a source I decided to trust.  It felt a lot like adopting a rescue dog, something we've really enjoyed more than once.

@beemer the $5940 was a used bike was it not? 5600 invoice + freight + prep (don't give them more than 2hrs of shop rate, if anything) + doc fee and you should be $6300 or less + local taxes. The 5995+500 from WVA you're still going to owe state tax.
No, it was not. That was dealers retail price for a new 2016 that hasn't sold yet. The asking or trade-in price for a private seller was lower.

Beemer

I dropped just a hair over $7k OTD for my new 2016 in June. $7500 seems really high to me, but it appears they are worth more in AZ than MI.

I dropped just a hair over $7k OTD for my new 2016 in June. $7500 seems really high to me, but it appears they are worth more in AZ than MI.
Very limited dealer competition in AZ...

I'm in N Central FL. It would be helpful to know the line items on the OTD numbers given here. I'm looking to do $6,900 OTD. This would be $5,990 advertised discounted price plus $375 freight and setup, $150 tag title, $55 title processing fee, and 6% sales tax. The freight, etc., came from a quote i recieved. Sounds reasonable to me. We'll see.

in FL you don't have weather in your favor WRT bargaining, but I'd counter with another 300 off that price.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

I would look up on cycletrader and see what other nearby deealerships are advertising otd, then go to the nearest one and show them the best deal being advertised and offer that. i paid $6495 otd in september and got free winter storage in NH.

Seriously?  So what are you riding and what did it cost?  $5,800 probably would leave very little dealer profit margin.

Personally I think 7500 is too high. I walked out a dealership in Colorado with a 2016 fz07 with 10 miles for $5800.

Archived