The MT-07 Forum

Painted Exhaust

ccam7374

Has anyone ever thought of painting there headers with a high temp paint?

I have the M4 slip on, on my bike and I am thinking of painting the pipes black with a high temp paint.

Any and all input is appreciated. Thank you.

ceramic coating is the really way to go. any good powder coat and plating company can do it and it's not all that expensive and will last the life of the bike. hi temp paint will need yearly or more refreshing to look good. just did the cat and headers on my fz-10

• Premium Member

+1 for ceramic coating. Did it on my scrambler.

[instagram url=https://www.instagram.com/p/BK4sj3wg86u]

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member

Sure, but paint is a compromise. There are paints good for 1500 degrees. I've used them on other exhausts with good results. The best part is the headers don't have to come off.

I just got a can of the VHT high temp header paint. I think it said on the label good to 2000 degrees. I just have one HUGE problem now, I can't paint my headers because my boss backed into my bike at work and now it's at the dealer getting fixed and nope I ain't paying for it. When they told me the price I about had a heart attack but since it's his fault he has to pay.

I just got a can of the VHT high temp header paint. I think it said on the label good to 2000 degrees. I just have one HUGE problem now, I can't paint my headers because my boss backed into my bike at work and now it's at the dealer getting fixed and nope I ain't paying for it. When they told me the price I about had a heart attack but since it's his fault he has to pay.
While he's feeling bad about it, tell your boss he has to paint the headers once the bike is out of the shop. Get it in writing before he comes to his senses.  P-)  Hee, hee!

Beemer

I used the VHT to paint my headers (see my posts for pictures). It worked out ok and I haven't had any chipping or other issues related to the paint. BUT, you need to be very careful with your skin touching the paint or else the oils will show. It's a huge PITA, but you should have gloves on when you're touching and installing it both before and after painting.

Also, make sure you read the instructions and follow them. Some non-intuitive approaches, so make sure you read first.

Good luck - think about having the shop give you the headers now so you can paint them while it's in the shop. Who knows, maybe they'll put them on for you too, but without gloves and the TLC not doubt.

Thanks for your input. I didn't think about the gloves and oils from my hands. I will be sure to use gloves when doing my painting and such.

Archived