The MT-07 Forum

Squeeze / Whistle sound when downshifting.

Panos

I have Almost 10.000kms at the moment.
Riding a brand new 2016 MT07 with ABS
When I'm down shifting mostly from 3rd to 2nd gear there is a strange noise coming out.
It sounds like a squeeze or something! It happens even if I'm using the brakes at the same time or not. It doesn't matter.
Is this a clutch issue? After a quick search online, I found a video on youtube. Someone experiencing the same issue.
Is it sound like an ABS unit? From my experience, there is nothing to do with the breaks at all. (because the sound is there even if i'm not using the breaks)
I will try to upload also one with my bike within the next days. In the meantime check this out.
It sounds exactly the same! Any thoughts ? It's really annoying and im starting to worry a lot about it.
Just note that the sound is not there when I'm downshifting with rev matching.
[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaScZ2CFTPY]

• Like 1

Hey, mine does this too. I think the noise is coming from the front brake fluid reservoir, although like you said I also get the whistle even if I'm not braking. I've also noticed that it's got something to do with cold or moist weather conditions. Never heard it when it's hot.

Maybe it's a greek thing re Pano.  :P

That sounds weird, could it be coming from the fuel filler cap?
Sounds like the fuel tank vent but I never heard one anywhere near
that loud.

• Like 1

That sounds weird, could it be coming from the fuel filler cap? Sounds like the fuel tank vent but I never heard one anywhere near
that loud.
That sounds like a good theory. The noise is definitely coming from the upper part of the bike (that's why I thought of the brake fluid) and it sure sounds like air going through a tight pass. Mine does it at night when it's colder. So maybe it's the temperature difference that causes a drop on air pressure in the tank and then air goes through the cap? Just guessing here...

In that vid, looks to me like it only happens when he's on the front brake. The roads also appear wet. Could just be the ABS cycling as a result of squeezing too hard on a slippery surface.

I had a K-bike with ABS that activated way too easily. You could feel the lever vibrate and hear the pump working when the ABS kicked it - though it was a way lower pitch.

Lots of guys have found this front brake a bit mushy and go immediately to braided lines. I believe the problem is not with the OE hoses but that there's some air in the loop of hose that runs over top of the fender from the left to right caliper that the factory does not get rid of. My front brake was dang near useless at 1st. Adding ABS to any brake system can add another level of difficulty to get all of the air out.

We don't get the ABS version here, so just a guess. I think what yer listening to is some air in the ABS pump - which is possibly under the tank and why it's so easy to hear - and what a crazy sound it is, lol.

I would try bleeding the front brakes - and that requires lifting one of the calipers up so there's not an arc in the hose where air bubbles can hide. You may also have to do a bleed at the pump. this might require the shop manual.

• Like 1

Think the ABS pump is under the left side of the tank
though I would have thought the braking was nowhere hard
enough to trigger it, but again air in a high pressure
pump can make hell of a noise.
The poster does say it happens if braking or not and I cant
see why the ABS would take a interest ig just slowing down.

Yep, all true. But some people ride covering a brake lever - even if they don't know it. I was just going by what I was seeing in that video - and the noise coincided with his pulling the lever - and yeah, probably not hard enough to activate the ABS. Not out of this world that the ecu needs to see the throttle closed for the pump to run

Just spittin in the wind of course.

Can't recall anyone in the US having this issue. Biggest difference is the ABS, which none of us in the US have.

Is the ABS system listed in the manual we all have or was that written before ABS was available ?

First of all, thank you for your responses!
I'm 100% sure that this sound happens even if I'm not using the breaks.
Downshifting especially from third to second gear as mentioned before. (With RPMs less than 7000 or so)
@Pitapola I will agree with you that the sound seems to come from the upper area of the bike.
I have the same feeling that actually comes from the front brake reservoir but i can't understand how is this linked with the downshifting.
@Rick in Europe both editions with and without ABS come out at the same time. So the manual has information for both (with / without ABS) but i haven't found any info about this issue.
Within the next weeks,i will visit the repair shop for the regular maintenance (10.000KMS). hopefully, they will find what causes this sound because trust me guys it really annoying at the moment.

Guest ChicagoAJ

Sounds to me like your bypass valve is leaking. My 2013 WRX made the same noise going into boost and letting off the gas quickly.

But seriously, I was watching the video waiting to not hear anything like half the people posting videos here. Then I heard that and started cracking up! Thanks for the laugh, no idea what it could be. Maybe it's a raccoon hidden by your plug caps screaming for you to stop the bike!

Can't wait to hear what the actual cause is. The only time I've ever heard a noise close to that on mine is when I turn the key and the fuel pump primes, but it's nowhere near that loud. 

Yeah, nothing exactly subliminal about that sound. WTF is it?

Had a look in the service manual I have for that's actually for the non-US MT07 and no mention of ABS. I did find this https://www.manualslib.com/manual/837941/Yamaha-Mt-07.html?page=30 My K-bike also did the same click sound when first pulling away, but I'm curious about "and if the brake lever or brake pedal is even slightly applied, a vibration can be felt at the lever and pedal". Kinda wondering if this test mode is not turning off properly.

Hmm, my Apriia's fuel pump has squeeled like a stuck pig now and then after the bike's not been started for a while. Never heard my FZ make this sound.

Wonder if there's a fuel pump issue. This system is a bit different from what I'm used to as there's no return line to the tank. The means the pump either has some back pressure all the time or there's a bleed valve in the tank to regulate pressure when demand is low. Give the throttle a whack during a quick downshift, and that balance changes.

One thing I don't like about this FI is that there is no fuel filter - just a screen to prevent large crap from getting into the pump and then the injectors.

This'll be fun. Hopefully the dealer has seen this before.

Guest ChicagoAJ
First of all, thank you for your responses! I'm 100% sure that this sound happens even if I'm not using the breaks.
Downshifting especially from third to second gear as mentioned before. (With RPMs less than 7000 or so)
@pitapola I will agree with you that the sound seems to come from the upper area of the bike.
I have the same feeling that actually comes from the front brake reservoir but i can't understand how is this linked with the downshifting.
@rick in Europe both editions with and without ABS come out at the same time. So the manual has information for both (with / without ABS) but i haven't found any info about this issue.
Within the next weeks,i will visit the repair shop for the regular maintenance (10.000KMS). hopefully, they will find what causes this sound because trust me guys it really annoying at the moment.

If it was from the brake reservoir I would think that it would be peeing all over the place under hard braking or leaking in harder turns. Clutch noise? Could be, especially if it's only during a certain rpm. 

Guest 2wheeler

FWIW, my bike does not have ABS, and I have heard that whistling sound. I just though it was some kind of helmet in the wind thing, but now after reading this....

Found myself on a Victory forum where guys were complaining about loud fuel pumps. One guy posted a video to demonstrate. He thought it was obvious. Well, with the aftermarket pipes and maybe no baffles, all I could hear was the farting.

Went back and looked at the 1st vid. There does seem to be a connection to his blipping the throttle. I'm thinking fuel pump. Wonder if there's any connection with this happening when the fuel level is low?

... Wonder if there's any connection with this happening when the fuel level is low?  

Nope, (in my case at least) no connection at all.

The sound is there with low fuel level and with a full tank as well.
When I'm rev matching (clutch in / throttle / downshift / clutch out) while downshifting i can't hear the noise. 
This reason makes me believe that is a transmission issue.
But again, the sound coming from the higher front area of the bike ! Go figure  B-|
@rick in my case yes. Unfortunately, The low capacity during long rides or trips made me run the bike with really empty tank.

In my case never done more than 10km after the fuel notification comes on. Heard the noise last night too with a full tank.

I'm pretty sure the noise is coming from the brake fluid container.

The plastic tank cover seems to amplify noise
but what ever it is it is loud, still think
the fuel system or it's venting are most likely,

Today i tried something else.
While rolling in 1st gear with 2000 - 2500 RPMS i gave a twist on the throttle till 9000 RPMS or so.
Then, i let the bike slow down without breaking (front / rear) or doing anything else with the clutch.
The sound was there again ! just a glimpse of it, in a lower volume than usual and for a shorter period.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I have the exact same problem. There seems to be a second topic at this forum only no actual solution. Does anyone have an idea? Just today my front brake stopped working for a little while. I am assuming the problem is in the ABS modulator or my headcilinder. Only the problem (sound) also occurs when hitting the rear break or shifting. And the sound seems to come from the ABS modulator at the right. 

kind regards!

Edited by Ray689