The MT-07 Forum

What Suspension Setting do You Use?

bornagainbiker

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

For those of you out there who still run the stock suspension on your FZ-07, what rear suspension setting do you use?  I am right around 200 lbs and have found the 5 setting to be just right for me.  Anyone else care to weigh in on this subject?  Pardon the pun.  :)

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
I weigh a little bit more than you, and 7 works for me. I went from 5 to 7 and it was noticeably better.
The standard setting is 3, and that's probably geared towards someone around 155 lbs, so i figured at my weight I would be a couple of notches up from there.  ;)

I weigh in at 150lbs with full gear, and 5'7". I have mine currently set to 5, and so far it has been alright. Personally it's not so pogo sticky when commuting streets, and responsive enough in the canyons to give me a decent drive out in and out of turns

'15 Pearl White FZ-07 | Yoshi R77 Exhaust | ECU Reflash | Mad Hornets Shorty Levers | EvoTech Rad Guard | Yamaha Comfort Saddle | TST Industries Integrated Taillight | Motodynamics Fender Eliminator | Yamaha OEM Front LED Signals | Phillips MaxVision 130+ Bulb | OES Front/Rear Axle Sliders | Driven Racing TT Rearsets | Woodcraft 1.5" Clip-Ons | Woodcraft Engine & Water Pump Crash Cover | OEM Motocage Cage | LEDGlow SMD Mini Advanced Lighting Kit | Gilles Tooling Gauge Relocation Kit |

I ran the stock shock for a long time. Am 215lbs with gear. Was at five for a while, and then bumped it up to seven. Now I am running an Ohlins. "Ahhhh!!!!!" Goodbye pogoing/rocking horse in the S-turns.

• Global Moderator

I am 185, about 200 in my gear and have it set at six. I may try seven for a while though.

125 with full gear. I set mine to 4. I like it on the stiffer side and guessing 4 is good enough for my weight.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

• Premium Member

With gear I am around 220llbs and have mine maxed out. Feels pretty good.

210lb and on 8 get your braking done befor
the corner and accelerate through it, it
helps keep the suspension settled the bike
responds well to it.

I'm on the original setting, whatever that is. I think that's three if I recall correctly what people have said about it. Anyway, I'm OK with it as is from the factory but it could stand to be a little more firm. Some day, maybe, if I'm anywhere close to the rear of my bike and bent over and accidentally have the right tool in hand I may make an adjustment to the setting.  ;)

Beemer

martyinaustin

was riding on 6 for a while but i'm back to 7. i'm only about 170 lbs w/ gear, but for some reason this feels the "tightest" without being too stiff
for me.

• Premium Member

150lbs with gear, leave it at 3. Unless I'm carrying a bunch of crap and I know I will be beforehand, then I bump it up to 4 or 5 depending on my mood.

It's all about keeping that rubber side down.

• Premium Member

Reading all the above, I'm curious... did anyones dealer ask one's riding weight before prepping/delivering your bike? Mine could have, and for the most part seems to have done a far better job of set-up than most (from what I've read), but no one there asked this. It would seem to be an easy thing to do and adjust to assure a better degree of overall product/dealer satisfaction.

AlbatrossCafe
Reading all the above, I'm curious... did anyones dealer ask one's riding weight before prepping/delivering your bike? Mine could have, and for the most part seems to have done a far better job of set-up than most (from what I've read), but no one there asked this. It would seem to be an easy thing to do and adjust to assure a better degree of overall product/dealer satisfaction.
Right before I got on the bike for the first time the tech who had just done its initial inspection was like "you look like a big guy, let me set the preload up on this for ya" and set it to max. So yes. 

• Premium Member

That was nice of your tech. I ended up going to another dealership to do the FZ's done a year after purchase.

I tried to do it on my last bike and the dealership didn't want to be "liable" for changing the suspension.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
My dealer didn't ask--they left it on the stock setting of 3. :-/

The sales personnel are carny clowns, they just guess your weight. 

Beemer

• Premium Member

Beemer, cute analogy... I like it, but I think it's giving carny clowns a bad rap... in many cases.

I don't know if racing science supports this, but I was always told if you stand on the pegs and bounce, the rates should match front to rear, so what this tells me is you should not change the back without consideration of the front, there is also a simple unsprung sprung ratio which is easy to find on youtube which negates the guess work for setting the sag on your rear shock.
Basically you measure bike off the ground (unsprung), on ground without rider (sprung) rider sag sitting on bike in full gear.then calculate the ratio. if you can adjust to within a range its ok, if you can't you need a different shock. or spring etc.
After market expensive shocks not withstanding.

Archived