The MT-07 Forum

Horn Replacement Advise (for you)

sansnombre

I just swapped out the OEM horn for the "Denali Soundbomb Mini Horn" that I got at Revzilla for $30.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/denali-soundbomb-mini-horn
Swap out was <5 minutes, complete start to finish and was as simple as can be. The horn is deeper, throatier, and louder than the OEM by a significant amount. Hard to quantify, but the bike sounds like a car now, when before it sounded like an angry duck.
If you add the K&N oil filter to your purchase at Revzilla, shipping is free.
So: cheap, easy to install, significantly louder, no shipping costs. I expect it will demand more respect when riding and may get you out of a scrap or two with other vehicles - maybe saving your life.
This is a great upgrade, and I recommend it for all.
Cheers.

Guest 2wheeler

I am another big proponent of the Denali Mini-Horn!!!

I have had one incident where a late model SUV with the windows up instantly moved from the sound of the Denali when we were both going about 30mph.

Love my Denali mini as well! Essential upgrade for the bike if you live in a big city like me!

'15 Pearl White FZ-07 | Yoshi R77 Exhaust | ECU Reflash | Mad Hornets Shorty Levers | EvoTech Rad Guard | Yamaha Comfort Saddle | TST Industries Integrated Taillight | Motodynamics Fender Eliminator | Yamaha OEM Front LED Signals | Phillips MaxVision 130+ Bulb | OES Front/Rear Axle Sliders | Driven Racing TT Rearsets | Woodcraft 1.5" Clip-Ons | Woodcraft Engine & Water Pump Crash Cover | OEM Motocage Cage | LEDGlow SMD Mini Advanced Lighting Kit | Gilles Tooling Gauge Relocation Kit |

• Global Moderator
Click the hyper-link above - it will take you to the Revzilla website and shows a picture of it.
I was just curious how it looks on an FZ-07.

• Premium Member

Yes! A new horn ( thats actually a real horn) will change your life. Well maybe not, but it is one of the more worthwhile upgrades. I have the Stebel Nautilus Compact Tuning horn. Pretty much a twin brother of the full sized Sound Bomb...not the "mini". Love it.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member
Click the hyper-link above - it will take you to the Revzilla website and shows a picture of it.
I was just curious how it looks on an FZ-07.
@mjh937 I'll post a couple pics of mine for you in the next day or two. ( on holiday)  
I cut a inch or so off a steel corner  bracket and mounted it to the oem horn bolt. It tucks in so beautifully snug right behind the lower corner of the rad and its facing out to the side. It blends in perfectly. My Stebel Nautilus is 139db and boy it turns heads. 

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Looks nice. Sure could be helpful.

In my case of course, I stopped using the horn once I got my exhaust. Now I simply rev and the road opens up like I'm Moses or something...  ;)

• Premium Member

@mjh937 I tracked down this old post of mine. I can post a few more later if you like.
The denali soundbomb mini is plug and play so I guess it depends on how much fussing around you want to do, or the db/tone of blast you're looking for. Keep in mind my Stebel Nautilus Compact does require its own harness so...
It does not protrude out the side and Imo fits in nicely. Once I had the bike back together and all spiffed up it seemed to blend right in. The Stebel main site has soundclips as well. I looked at both stebel and denali and as far as I could tell they're identical twins. 
[attachment id=2383" thumbnail="1][attachment id=2384" thumbnail="1]

Guest 2wheeler
Sound comparison is at 3:06.
I'm looking forward to the upgrade. ;)

OK, as a proud and happy owner of the DSMH I can make a comment on the sound in that video. The good news is that the Denali does sound like that as well as the difference between the two being that dramatic. The bad news is that the sounds were over amplfied and they don't sound that loud in real life and more importantly in open air conditions.  
Just a sidenote as well as being a preacher again, for approximately $80 everyone who owns a FZ-07 should purchase at a minimum the following:

1. Denali Soundbomb Mini-Horn
2. Osram Night Racer light bulb
3. Mirror extenders

These three items make the bike so much safer to ride IMHO.

Obviously you can get better versions of the above, but if you are not someone who wants to spend a lot on your bike, these three all work MUCH better than stock.

• Premium Member

mjh937, FYI... there is another tread here for this horn with pix, my own included wence I painted the silver part and made a small bracket to move it over to the center a bit more so as to better clear my aftermarket radiator side-cover.

And, yeah, nearly anything is better than stock... were they just a little smaller I'd have used a mini Wolo airhorn, like I use on a number of other vehicles.

Does anyone know what our stock horn's db rating is? I'm guessing that it's around 97 db, give or take a 2-3 but it's just a guess, I want to know for sure (positively). Although I appreciate them, videos and claims don't satisfy me enough to take the leap to buy one. I've trusted peoples word before when buying new horns and found that horns can be deceptive since tone is sometimes mistaken for volume so I don't want to make that mistake again. If the mini is truly around 15 db louder I just may get that over the full sized Denali just to avoid having to mess with wiring and mounting. Thanks for any info. showing what our stock horn's db rating is.

Beemer

Guest 2wheeler
Does anyone know what our stock horn's db rating is? I'm guessing that it's around 97 db, give or take a 2-3 but it's just a guess, I want to know for sure (positively). Although I appreciate them, videos and claims don't satisfy me enough to take the leap to buy one. I've trusted peoples word before when buying new horns and found that horns can be deceptive since tone is sometimes mistaken for volume so I don't want to make that mistake again. If the mini is truly around 15 db louder I just may get that over the full sized Denali just to avoid having to mess with wiring and mounting. Thanks for any info. showing what our stock horn's db rating is.
Hey Beemer, here's my suggestion... wait until you have an order from Revzilla that is big enough to cover shipping. Order the Mini-Horn which will be a straight $30. If you don't like it, just return it - no big deal. 
Gotta tell ya, it's such a simple swap (3 minutes if you take your time), that's its well worth your effort. It really does kick butt well enough that I think you will be happy with it. No question their air horn version would be better especially at higher speeds, but I think that the Mini will be good enough for most situations (lower speeds). The time I hit the horn on a merging Volvo SUV with the windows up, they freaking moved instantly. That was at around 30mph.

Hey Beemer, here's my suggestion... wait until you have an order from Revzilla that is big enough to cover shipping. Order the Mini-Horn which will be a straight $30. If you don't like it, just return it - no big deal. 
Gotta tell ya, it's such a simple swap (3 minutes if you take your time), that's its well worth your effort. It really does kick butt well enough that I think you will be happy with it. No question their air horn version would be better especially at higher speeds, but I think that the Mini will be good enough for most situations (lower speeds). The time I hit the horn on a merging Volvo SUV with the windows up, they freaking moved instantly. That was at around 30mph.

Thanks, I have thought of doing just that but I've developed a dislike for the whole process of returning products. I recently ordered a chalk bag for billiards that took like two weeks to get here and when I opened the package it was a chunk of chalk to go inside a chalk bag. >:D  I just figured that maybe if the right question were asked people might get the result they were looking for before wasting their time. I still may end up going the buy/return route since no-one may know the answer to my question and there may not be another choice in the matter. You sound confident that the horn is a definite improvement so if I do take a chance again that will be the reason why I do, so thanks for your input.

Beemer

Guest 2wheeler

You sound confident that the horn is a definite improvement so if I do take a chance again that will be the reason why I do, so thanks for your input.
Gotta tell you that it surprises the crap out of me everytime I hit it. I have let a lot of fellow bikers hear that horn, and everyone was impressed too. 

You sound confident that the horn is a definite improvement so if I do take a chance again that will be the reason why I do, so thanks for your input.
Gotta tell you that it surprises the crap out of me everytime I hit it. I have let a lot of fellow bikers hear that horn, and everyone was impressed too. 

Well, maybe if I get one and honk it sporadically for no reason around where I live the dirty looks will be for a good reason other than, "that young hellian drives like a bat outa hell! He's always doing 33 in a 30!" Ha!

Beemer

• Premium Member

Here's a recording I made of stock vs Denali SoundBomb Mini.
I used a Zoom H2N about 20' in front of the bike, outside in my driveway.
[video src=https://youtu.be/6CL-erd3L4s]

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member

The actual volume difference was not as dramatic as I had hoped, but it is deeper and louder than stock and for $30 seems like a nice improvement.
No one is going to mistake you for an 18 wheeler though.

Why can't left turners see us?

Archived