The MT-07 Forum

My FZ and Bambi... FNG

goosed14

Well hello there, awesome forum goers.

Let me first start off by saying this is not how i pictured my intro to these forums to go. Four short days after joining. This is not my first bike, but I do not have decades of experience either. That is beside the point though, Im fairly sure that besides cagers a riders biggest fear is that of the unknown.... Just kidding it is pretty much ALWAYS other drivers, only thats not the only things we have to worry about. 

Okay so ill just get on with it, with a beautiful evening and nothing to do after work i jumped on the bike to go for a country cruise. (Eastern IL is pretty much only back country roads) Nothing more relaxing after a long day right? The bike is brand new 233miles on her, I only got a short distance from my home when it happened. Its worth mentioning that it was a very hot, August evening and it was about an hour before sunset. Just painting a picture for you here...

On this particular road it is moderately traveled and is lined by corn fields, an spots of wooded tree lines. Im riding at about 45-50mph at this point enjoying the view, this is when i notice a blue pick up is behind me and closing in rather fast...(mirror check)Whats this guy doing? When out of my peripheral coming out of some brush and corn directly by the road side is a mother deer and her fawn... An they are coming from my left to my right having to cross the entire road to clear my path. Now everything ive told you to this point has happened in a matter of about 5 seconds... maybe less. Lean, swerve... Missed mama.... not bambi... laying the bike down on the left side and putting me into a log roll skid. (im not a small dude 6'4 220) it wasnt graceful, and the whole time this is happening im thinking several things. 1 where the H*** is that truck and 2. this is what it feels like to slide down the road like Ive seen in to many Youtube videos....  Pavement, Sky, Pavement,SKYYYYYYYYY. Visions blurry... wiggle my toes, If i can just wiggle my toes im good, I think to my self. Everything works THANK YOU BABY JESUS. 

At that point everything kinda runs together between adrenaline and shock i dont remember much other then looking down at my knee and thinking, I think thats bone... So if your wondering where was your gear you should be fine.... i was indeed wearing boots, jeans, a t shirt, with a MESH jacket over it along with my full face and some paper thin gloves... Let me tell you when they say textile or mesh doesnt hold up as well as leather they are correct. It ate right through the jacket and jeans of course. My knee being the worst part. my hands and arms were a mess. but with all this bad news there is GOOD news. Surprisingly nothing was broken or dislocated or anything bad. Well other then the half dollar size hole in my knee. It all sounds terrible but this was almost 2 months ago now and im happy to report that the bike and myself are going to make a full recovery! Thank you insurance, never thought Id say that lol. 

Lots of things damaged on the bike mostly cosmetic other then the engine case and fork leg, and of course the bars. I am currently under going PT after having to have cosmetic surgery on my knee since they couldnt stitch up a gapping hole.... Things are going well, Im young and healing fast and i just thought this was a good time to share my story and what Ive learned so maybe someone else wont make the same mistakes i did. For one thing better gear is a must if its to expensive save up or get a credit card, you get what you pay for with gear and most things in general. i will not ride without a leather jacket and gloves again, and probably some knee pads... So here are the pictures without anymore BS. If you've read this far your probably a nice ,understanding person thanks for your time and I look very forward to meeting new people and making new connections through this forum! Ive used alot of post on here to help with selecting parts and website and its great to see such a helpful community of people! Just hopefully no more like this! :) 

IMG_45031.jpg 

IMG_55371.jpg 

IMG_66981.jpg

IMG_89041.jpg 

IMG_35191.jpg 

IMG_35181.jpg 

IMG_35201.jpg 

IMG_35211.jpg 

IMG_35271.jpg 

Alright enough of that now on to what she looked like today when the last pieces were put on! 

20161006_154921.jpg 

20161013_152757.jpg 

20161013_152807.jpg

Glad to see you recovered!!! Enjoy riding, now being more careful!! I hit the roads when I was more inexperienced too, you certainly learn!

Safe riding!

Thanks for sharing your story, man. Yeah it sucks to learn that hard way about gear, but it sounds like you got the message loud and clear. And I'm glad that you don't sound like you have any long-term damage. Bikes can be replaced and rebuilt, main thing is that you're okay and able to get back in the saddle a wiser man. (Yeah, concrete beats mesh and normal denim every time.)

I had a bambi encounter as well the end of my first year of riding. I had on full gear but cheapish riding shoes because I honestly didn't know any better at the time. After cracking my ankle in that little encounter and spending the next three months with my foot in the air, I'm in full-on race boots every time I hop in the saddle. Injury sucks, but it's a great teacher.

Enjoy your newly rebuilt wheels.

• Premium Member

Sorry to see it. Lucky man considering. You've still got all limbs and digits so good stuff. After researching accidents and gear I ride full leathers, armoured boots, track gloves and man, it can get hot and uncomfortable and do I ever envy those tshirt rider's comfort when I see them zip around all cool and breezy, and then I see unfortunate cats like you all scuffed up or worse..... and that, I hate seeing. Too much on the line to become incapacitated, and I already PO my wife enough as it is. ;)

Ive been looking quite hard into this particular company's gear and I'll be having some made up for both me and my wife this winter. Aint cheap, but it is top of the line and custom made to order. A much cooler (and far more durable) option than leathers for summer. The site is a bit of a navigational mess but there's a ton of info buried in there.  Imo worth checking out.
Stay safe out there.

http://www.motoport.com/
[span]    [/span]

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Wow, sorry to hear, but what happened to Bambi? The truck? Did the driver stop? How about your hands with the "paper thin" gloves? Were they leather?

Anyway, glad no bones got broke, and glad insurance came through!

“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

Wow. Thank you guys so much for the positive feedback it means alot. An thanks for the site link man their stuff looks legit.
As for my hands i had a few scuffs but it actually didnt take the worst of it,if you look most of the rash is on the outside of my arms. I believe i instinctively tucked my arms in, in kind of a "crossed arms" pose. Which probably saved me a little. As for the guy in the truck, he was actually a friend of mine an just happened to try to be flagging me down when the deer junped out... he was the first person there an i thabj God he was as for bambi well that little sh** was gone, i could have at least got some venison outa the deal lol.

• Premium Member

Another bit of gear you could look into is the Helite air vest (vendor here). Lots of members including myself have one and I really like it. One of my best purchases.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

As for my hands i had a few scuffs but it actually didnt take the worst of it,if you look most of the rash is on the outside of my arms. I believe i instinctively tucked my arms in, in kind of a "crossed arms" pose. Which probably saved me a little. 
Heck yeah, that saved your hands, especially if you were wearing too-thin gloves.  Hands are often the first things to hit and with many small bones inside the results can be pretty gnarly.  Great instinct.  So go get yourself a real pair of gloves to rock with your ride.

Archived