The MT-07 Forum

addon abs?

vroomvroom

With ABS being available finally in the states, does anyone know if it is possible to add the ABS system to an earlier year model?

With ABS being available finally in the states, does anyone know if it is possible to add the ABS system to an earlier year model?

I guess you can, but it'll be costly - changing brake rotors, adding the ABS unit and its cables, etc.... it can go easy to $800 as you have to count in the labour...

Safe riding!

• 2 years later...
  • Global Moderator
9 minutes ago, AlbatrossCafe said:

So I have to replace my front end anyway after an accident.

Anyone have anymore info on this? Is it even worth it or possible?

The ABS hydraulic unit is almost $500, and that does not include wiring, sensors and maybe an ECU (I suspect you need a new one but I am not certain about that).  I do not think it is worth the cost or time, and if you mess it up you may end up with malfunctioning brakes.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AlbatrossCafe
2 hours ago, mjh937 said:

The ABS hydraulic unit is almost $500, and that does not include wiring, sensors and maybe an ECU (I suspect you need a new one but I am not certain about that).  I do not think it is worth the cost or time, and if you mess it up you may end up with malfunctioning brakes.  

Solid point. Thanks. I think there is too much I would have to swap out to make it worth it (even with my wrecked front end). I just wanted to own a motorcycle from 0 to 100k miles. Sadly if I want ABS I'll have to start over 😥

Edited by AlbatrossCafe
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Actually, the ABS pump alone is about 1600 Eur. I've changed mine, under warranty, about 2 months ago.