The MT-07 Forum

ABS for the US on the 2017 model (red only)

mjh937

• Global Moderator

The Yamaha website is showing ABS available only on the red model for next year for an additional $300.  It will be interesting to see how it sells.  I would have bought it if it was available in 2015. 

• Premium Member

Yup. There's a slight difference in color as the plastics are red all the way to the tail.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• 1 month later...

I have one on order for February . It's going to be a long winter. I bought a super tenere in 2012 and love it,Just turned 47,000 miles on Sunday. Got a test ride on a fz07 last year and loved it. Tired of waiting for supposedlittle tenere. Maybe this might turn into a scrambler !  I'm keeping the super tenere  also.

• 2 months later...

$300 is dirt cheap for such a worthy upgrade. I absolutely would have gotten ABS, regardless of color (and just painted the whole damn thing black). Retroactively attempting to upgrade a 2015/2016 with 2017's ABS breaks would probably cost $1000's /:

Personally I think it's great they added it, but it makes me even happier that they made it optional and didn't just put it on for all 2017's.

If I had ABS how would I skid around and stuff?! :/

P.S. Not advocating dangerous driving!

pineappleunderthesea

I would have gladly paid $300 had it been available on my 2015 model, if only to know that if I get into a panic situation and inadvertently grab a handful of brake, I won't lock the front wheel or flip over the bike like all those videos on YouTube.

I would have gladly paid $300 had it been available on my 2015 model, if only to know that if I get into a panic situation and inadvertently grab a handful of brake, I won't lock the front wheel or flip over the bike like all those videos on YouTube.
As I have almost eaten WRX spoiler after grabbing a mitt full of brake I know the feeling.

I am going to price the module and control system out. If it is just a pump module it shouldn't actually be all that difficult to retrofit.

pineappleunderthesea
As I have almost eaten WRX spoiler after grabbing a mitt full of brake I know the feeling. 

You would have done that WRX a favor had you eradicated that spoiler! 
(or am I thinking the STi spoiler...?)

As is typical, the cost of the parts is 4 times the cost of the option.

It'll be a new wire harness also.

$300 is a deal on ABS. Wish I had it.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

Buy what you want but don't be disillusioned that all ABS prevents the rear end from coming up or even over during emergency braking. Good brake pressure control is always required. Also, red bikes are more prone to flip. ;)

Beemer

You would have done that WRX a favor had you eradicated that spoiler! 
(or am I thinking the STi spoiler...?)
Even seen a shaved bear. See how awkward it looks. Ya, that's a STi without the great big wing. 
Supra, RSX, STi, and Roadrunner can all rock an ugly spoiler.

• 6 months later...

Digging up bones here, but it was an ABS model that the dealership gave me for a test ride. The brakes on that bike were so horribly touchy that I couldn't tell anything else about the rest of the bike- it took total concentration to ride the thing. They were so bad I decided I wouldn't buy an 07. I took it back, told them about the brakes and asked to ride a standard model. They let me take out a standard and it was fine. World's of difference, so I bought one. Actually, since I sent them digging through warehouses to find the color bike I wanted, I told them I would only buy the bike on the stipulation that the brakes felt right to me, so I rode that bike they located for me before paying them. Really, the brakes on that ABS bike were so bad I would not own it.

Another thing, the rear tire on the ABS locked/chattered a few times on me ( told you they were super touchy) and it dawned on me: " these are supposed to be anti lock..."..so I tested them. I stood on the rear brake at about 60 mph and slid the tire about 50-60 feet before I felt the ABS started cycling. It unlocked the rear tire for a moment, then it went back to sliding right before the bike came to a stop.

Long story, short: I wouldn't buy an ABS model. I think the system has a couple teething issues yet. Granted, the overly touchy brakes may have been an isolated issue with that specific bike, but regardless, the system doesn't cycle effectively.

• Global Moderator

It sure hope that was just a problem with that bike. I would think there would be discussions about it on the forum of it was like that on all of them. While I would have paid extra for ABS if it was available in 2015 I have been happy enough without it.

• Premium Member

if both wheels are still register same/similar speed values during the slide I dont see ABS or TC kicking in till it see a tigger value...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

if both wheels are still register same/similar speed values during the slide I dont see ABS or TC kicking in till it see a tigger value...

True, I agree. But the front tire was still seeing 60mph while the rear tire was sliding. I never touched the front brake during that test. A 60mph differential should've triggered the system in moments, if not immediately.

Mines ABS and ive never had a lockup. Ive definitely had it kick in plenty of times and its been fine so far. Had the back wheel in the air a few times but i think its more the spongy forks than ABS. You might've just had a bad one maybe?

You might've just had a bad one maybe?
It's extremely likely. I wouldn't mind riding another ABS model some time to see if the excessively touchy brakes are present there, too. I wanted a 2016 color scheme, but they tried pretty hard to sell me the demo model (33 miles) I tested. They offered it to me for $5,500 out the door, ready to ride. Perhaps they knew something was a little off on that bike. They didn't seem alarmed or interested when I mentioned anything to them. 
Sorry guys. Wasn't trying to rag on the ABS bikes, really. Just sharing my extremely limited experience with them.

Damn n00bs stirring up trouble...  :D

• Premium Member

@shinyribs Just an FYI: my ABS model's brakes work just fine.

The one you test rode may have been suffering from an issue of some sort. I'm not sure what kind of issue you were experiencing but the brakes are the last thing I need to think about while I ride. I wouldn't write off an ABS model FZ-07 based on your one experience. Best of Luck to you. :)

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member

front ABS wouldn't have triggered if no input from front brake lever is applied...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up a left over 2016. I could have gotten a left over 2017 with ABS but it was a $1000 difference due to the year. So i went with the Raven 2016 non-ABS. Now I have had ABS before on a KTM and drum brakes on a Honda Twinstar. The KTM I forced into ABS action a few times to see and it worked great. With my 2016 non ABS I have locked up the back once but that was more due to me being new on the bike. Since then I've sort of gotten used to the brakes....still practice emergency braking frequently. So in the end for $300 yes I would have (even though I hate the red) but for $1000 I did not. So my life is worth exactly $700.

Archived