The MT-07 Forum

Powder Coating Plasticx

clintfish

Hi Guys, does anyone know what temperature the tank cover and fenders are rated to, id love to get some powder coating done if possible.

• Global Moderator

I never heard of powder coating plastic. Why would one want to try and bake paint on a soft surface? Furthermore, plastic is non conductive so traditional powder coating methods would not work.

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

I second the above ^^^. If you take the tank covers off they should have molding marks on the back side that indicate what type of material they are. They you can look up the properties to see what temp it can take. Use google and maybe contact these people:

http://keylandpolymer.com/uv-coating-substrates/plastic/

They seem to be able to use UV light to cure powder coating on some but not all types of plastics.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

• Premium Member

They will paint your plastics. Not powdercoat them. They can not powdercoat plastics. My bike has been through that process.

Thanks Guys. I was under the impression that they could apply a conductive undercoat that would allow the powder to stick. I'm happy to have them paint it, but I am going matte Black so i won't have the protective clear coat.

Vinyl wrap it or use PlastiDip.

Those are quick, easy, and don't permanently alter your plastics.

• Premium Member

@clintfish Here are a few pics of my bike with powdercoating and plastics painted. You'll be happy with it bro.
6fffa5fdfa8ca4261f16c3c7b9935bfa.gif
5376266e2097730cfb8c40270b5d0d3b.gif
d2e46705f8ef2c831e0c005ca0964226.gif

• Global Moderator

I was seriously thinking there was something wrong with my computer (or my eyes). These pictures are moving right?

Yes. They are GIFS.
Question. The boot gaurd and frame cover cane off pretty easy, how did you get the other Silver bit beneath coated? I'm thinking it's too much trouble, and I'll just take it back to the shop.

• Premium Member

@clintfish I actually took my bike to have the work professionally done. I don't mess with that stuff. So I'm sorry but I can't answer that question for you.

Archived