The MT-07 Forum

Stiff Gear Changing At A Stop!! ASAP HELP

skyhard805

Hey everyone, I have a very important question to ask that I would like to have a fix by tonight so I can get to work tomorrow. Yesterday, I was riding through a canyon and stopped in a rest zone. Got off the bike and it fell over, not bad and no damage done but a light scratch on the engine encasement (How much to replace?). Anyways, I realized that it was really hard to change gears afterwards at a stop. Like the transmission and engine weren't disengaging one another and I really felt it today! Even a little weirder when riding it doesn't feel like it has a problem although sometimes the shifter get stiff making it like a rock to change; so, what I am thinking it could be is that when I am riding it is having a problem but is less feel to it since the transmission and engine are almost at the same RPM switching but at a stop the engine is still pushing the RPM and the transmission won't change into it since they aren't Synched. Well, let me ask this, when I was screwing with it today I changed where the clutch knob next to the lever is and when I did that it seemed to work and at dead stops I could change from 1st to neutral (I couldn't do that before) and while riding I could change gears relatively easy but now it doesn't engage immediately like it did before anything happened!!!! So it revs up and takes a bit to take off, before I could rev up and just plainly take off! Where should I be adjusting the Clutch and does anyone have recommendation for how far everything should be? Its like fine tuning but even I'm not crazy experienced in that area and would like to avoid the pain of taking it to the shop since I am 100% sure its the clutch and the cable tuning THANKS! :D

Look for obvious damage where the "Engine Side" of the cable is anchored.  It may be bent, or connecting bolt sheared or loosened.

FZ07_Adj_Clutch.jpg

"...scratch on the engine encasement..." 

Man, that is worth a closer look. See if the pull lever or housing itself wasn't damaged.

FZ07_Clutch.jpg

“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

• Premium Member

Change your oil and check your chain and wheel alignment. and the stuff above. I've dropped the FZ 4 time so far and one was a good one they can take a beating.
The chain on this bike is only good for 8,000 miles or so before you should replace it FYI and a f'ed up chain can messed with everything.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

IF it was fine before the drop, I would be looking to see what's been bent more than trying to adjust away the real problem.

Did the bike fall on its left side? If so, have a close look at the shift lever and linkage as well as the clutch lever.

If it fell to the right, make sure that bracket that holds the clutch cable has not been bent somehow.

And it sounds to me like you've taken too much slack out of the cable and the clutch is now slipping.

martyinaustin
     FZ07_Adj_Clutch.jpg 

"...scratch on the engine encasement..." 

Man, that is worth a closer look. See if the pull lever or housing itself wasn't damaged.

FZ07_Clutch.jpg

thanks for posting these pages!  i bet they're in the manual...i should really open that thing again sometime!!

Archived