The MT-07 Forum

CB1000R or GSX-S1000..?

Guest ChicagoAJ

Nice bike, I just read Kevin Camerons article on it in Cycle World and found some of the engineering very interesting especially the variable intake cam timing mechanism for higher rpm power without giving up low end, clever and simple.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ChicagoAJ

This bike just keeps getting better and better. After about 400 miles on it here's some more quick thoughts about it:

[em][strong]The good[/strong][/em]

It's great, even with a passenger. I did about 70 miles with my girlfriend this weekend and she likes it way more than the FZ in terms of comfort, ride quality, and seating position. On the FZ my heels would always hit her toes whenever I was leaving from a stop and she also hated how often I had to shift. On the GSXS at 50-60mph I can be in 3rd cruising right around 4,000rpms, I'd be in 5th or 6th on the FZ at that speed. She also really likes how fast it is with her on it, coming off an on-ramp we hit about 103mph with very little effort and the ride was still very smooth.On the FZ 75mph with a passenger was pretty sketchy. The traction control on this bike also acts as a sort of wheelie control so I can blast off from a light full throttle without worrying about the extra weight causing any unwanted wheelies.

I'm averaging about 43-44mpg calculated at the pump when filling up (premium), so it's a fraction worse than the FZ in that aspect. The tank is pretty large, 4.5 gallons. So the range is awesome, 170-180 miles easily. The mileage I've calculated is also a product ofsome pretty spirited riding, I'm hoping to see high 40's to low 50's if I can ever take it easy an entire tank of fuel. 
The exhaust is awesome right out of the showroom. It's loud, but not annoying supersport loud. It has a very nice grumble at low rpms which develops into a nice howl at high rpms. I doubt I'll ever change it out for an aftermarket pipe.

[strong][em]The bad[/em][/strong]

The throttle side mirror keeps coming loose no matter how tight it's tightened down. The wind must hit it in the perfect way to keep pressure on it until it comes loose. Each time I've tightened it up it'll come loose and swing back towards me after about 200 miles. I'm going to try some Loctite on it and if that fail I'll likely just take it off and run the left side only.

The stock tires are absolutely garbage in lower temps. It's been mid 50s during the day and mid 40s at night, they slide all over the place at night. Even taking turns at about 20mph the front wants to wander. The traction control keeps the back tire in line. I can't comment on how these tires are during warmer temps but I'm hoping they'll be much more sticky. I've seen reviews that the stock rear only lasts about 3-4k miles before it's shot so if they're decent in warmer temps I'll likely pick up another stock rear just to wear the front enough to warrant replacing both when the 2nd rear is burnt up. I plan to try the Pilot Road 4s after all that.

• 3 months later...

I say the Honda.It'll run forever.I want to get one next year.Both bikes kinda resemble the FZ-07.

"Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy".
Benjamin Franklin.

I say the Honda.It'll run forever.I want to get one next year.Both bikes kinda resemble the FZ-07.
He already got the Suzuki, and apparently closed his account here. 

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

Huh.I'd have gotten the Honda.But I've always been a Honda guy.Been looking for one I wanted and I think the CB1000R is it.Wish I could find one as cheap as he did.Around here they are like $12000.And I think 2016 was the last year for them.At least I haven't seen a 2017 model advertised any where.

"Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy".
Benjamin Franklin.

Archived