The MT-07 Forum

CB1000R or GSX-S1000..?

Guest ChicagoAJ

Guest ChicagoAJ

Got a call back from a local Honda dealer. They want to give me almost 6k for my bike and I'd only have to put another couple grand down to get a new 2014 CB1000R out the door. It's the black and gold model like the one pictured in the first post. We'll see how it goes tomorrow morning!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a reason Honda dealers have old stock. Our local dealer always has a couple bikes they can't unload. They are just "blah". I was on the heels of Honda's naked 500, big time, with my little R3 for chrisakes.

The ninja 1000 and Suzuki gsxs 1000F appeal to me. Sportbike like performance and handling with some comfort. Too bad nothing like these are available in the 600 to 750 realm.

Guest ChicagoAJ
Was that exhaust photoshopped on that new Suzuki gsxr? That is hideous. The new R6 is bit of a disappointment as well.
Nope. Look at Meek's picture. Same thing from the side.  

If the bike speaks to me tomorrow, I'll have to see how I feel about it. The Zook was definitely nice to sit on - but I can't get my hands on one to test drive. I would have extra cash if I part out my FZ before trading it - which is a plus if I don't get the CB tomorrow. 

I personally thing the GSX-S1000F is ridiculous looking. The front fairings don't even look like they belong there. They're just there, floating. Doing nothing. And bar looks too high compared to their position. I do like the Ninja 1000 - but I'm not a fan of Kawi's in general. They always seem a step behind all the other players. 

Was that exhaust photoshopped on that new Suzuki gsxr? That is hideous. The new R6 is bit of a disappointment as well.
Yup, pretty much photoshopped.  I have an insider at mcnews.com.au and he emailed me the original, non-photoshoped pic.

Suzuki_GSX_orig.jpg

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

Guest ChicagoAJ

THAT'S THE PICTURE I WAS LOOKING FOR!!!!!!

I literally thought I found the photoshopped version. Oh my god, the one I posted is real, HAHAHAHA. Hey, as long as you keep people on your right side, you'll never need to get a fender eliminator, muahaha. 

It's Euro4 emission and sound regs == huge ass can. I would have thought they could have stuffed a body-work/engine conforming pre-can in there before having a normal can on the outside...

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

There's a reason Honda dealers have old stock. Our local dealer always has a couple bikes they can't unload. They are just "blah". I was on the heels of Honda's naked 500, big time, with my little R3 for chrisakes. 
The ninja 1000 and Suzuki gsxs 1000F appeal to me. Sportbike like performance and handling with some comfort. Too bad nothing like these are available in the 600 to 750 realm.
I went today to my bike shop to buy some parts. The dealer sells Yamaha, Honda and KTM's and believe it or not they still have two brand spankin' new CB1000R's. 2012 and 2013 models. I spoke with my sales guy, he said they already applied 4 different discounts but these aren't moving at all.  

die is probably cast for AJ, but why not consider the GSXS-750? From a styling point of view it wasn't beaten so hard with the bulbous ugly stick as the 'thou. Or maybe I should have my eyesight checked? In my area they are going for $6800 + fees. Admittedly 2015 models and probably could come down more. Check out dealers in WI and far NW suburbs of Chi-town too since you're up there.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

I was on the heels of Honda's naked 500, big time, with my little R3 for chrisakes. 

To be fair the 500 Honda is a pig and the R3 is arguably the best execution of the class.
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

die is probably cast for AJ, but why not consider the GSXS-750? From a styling point of view it wasn't beaten so hard with the bulbous ugly stick as the 'thou. Or maybe I should have my eyesight checked? In my area they are going for $6800 + fees. Admittedly 2015 models and probably could come down more. Check out dealers in WI and far NW suburbs of Chi-town too since you're up there.
Yep, it is homely in my eyes too. But they say homely women make the best wives. Does this work for bikes too? 
If its anything like the gsxr 750 it should be a good bike.

Guest ChicagoAJ
Nah, I feel like it would be in the same class the FZ-07. It's just a fraction faster all around but with none of the low/mid range power of a liter bike. I do like them though. 

Guest ChicagoAJ
So did you buy that slow ass Honda yet
I actually just got off the phone with a local Suzuki dealer. Going in tomorrow morning to talk some numbers. They weren't able to give me any absolutes without seeing my FZ-07 but from what it sounds like, I'll likely be picking up a GSX-S1000 tomorrow if they get anywhere near the $9,000 out the door price they quoted me a few moments ago. 

Guest ChicagoAJ

Well guys. I pulled the trigger this morning. Traded in my FZ-07 for a 2016 GSX-S1000A. I originally didn't want ABS but their only non-ABS blue bike had a huge chip in the gas tank and I really didn't want the matte gray. They offered to swap tanks, but I said screw it and just opted for the ABS bike. I'd like to think I got a pretty decent deal out the door for the bike, got it for $9,460.10 after everything (they waived nearly all their fees and ate the sales tax), MSRP on the ABS bikes are $10,499. Ended up with 5 grand for my trade so I only had to pay a bit over 4 grand out of pocket. Title should be here in a couple weeks!

What a joy to ride, tame around town and very, very easy to ride slow and keep a steady pace. It's actually smoother than my FZ-07 WITH the 2WDW flash. Already spoke Nels and he has a great tune for this bike too, looking forward to that next season. 

I ended up getting winter storage thrown into the deal too, so I'm going to try to sneak in 500-600 miles before dropping it off for winter storage. That saves me the hassle of the first oil change/first service and saves my garage from some clutter! I'll still be around, but I might not post as much.

GSX.jpg

GSXS.jpg

Very nice. Let us know how the GSX-S is once you've had a chance to ride it for a while. I'm going to be getting rid of my FZ-07 fairly soon to get ready for my new bike also. The anticipation sucks.

Guest ChicagoAJ
Very nice. Let us know how the GSX-S is once you've had a chance to ride it for a while. I'm going to be getting rid of my FZ-07 fairly soon to get ready for my new bike also. The anticipation sucks.
Seriously, it was the worst couple weeks of my life. It felt like years, haha. I can give a short initial review seeing as how I've only done 55 miles. Before I got on the bike it was nice to see a normal rear axle set-up. Normal nut, normal square adjusters all embedded into the swingarm. It's a 36mm nut too, so now I have to go get another giant socket to fit it. The bike also has a proper kill switch, not a sliding do-dad like the FZ. The horn is also in the perfect spot to quickly cover it with your thumb. You can start the bike in neutral WITHOUT clutching, kinda neat, kinda pointless - but cool nonetheless.
Once you're ready to rock and put in 1st the bike is begging to go. Unlike the straight up seat position of the FZ you're leaning forwards to reach the bars, maybe 2-3 inches more than the FZ. When you're ready to go and you start to let the clutch out the bike actually gives itself gas and bumps rpms from idle (1000) to 1500. It's impossible to stall it unless you let the clutch out while squeezing the brakes. Another kinda neat, kinda pointless feature. Definitely saves the rider from some embarassment though when that unexpected stall does occur. The seat is easily the most comfortable stock seat I've ever sat on. It fits my rear perfectly, the FZ would kind of pinch my upper/inner thighs. But I could do 8 hour days on this bike no problem, I think.
Once you're actually out of 1st (which goes to 75mph, by the way) the transmission is so smooth. No clunks. It's almost hard to tell you even shifted. The clutch is awesome, I'm not sure if it came with a slipper clutch, but if you clutch in at speed and let the rpms fall to idle and release it without matching revs, nothing happens. The revs just quickly catch up to the speed and off you go.
ABS is nice, I tried locking up the rear wheel on the new super-slick tires. It worked well, but you can't turn it off unless you pull a fuse. Traction control/anti wheelie control has 3 settings; 3 = wet mode, 2 = dry mode/street, 1 = track mode. You can also turn it off. It's not a gyroscopic anti wheelie control, but it works by checking the speed of the front and rear tire. Once the rear tire starts spinning faster than the front it cuts power, in mode 3 traction control was on nearly every pull I did and I couldn't get the front wheel off the ground. In mode 2 I could get the front wheel up about a foot before it cut fuel and brought me back down. Haven't tried 1 yet and I doubt I'll try turning it off until I get a couple thousand miles on the bike.
Power wise, it's incredible. From 1000rpm to 7000rpm - it pulls probably just as hard as the FZ pulled in 1st gear in its powerband. After 7000rpm I went from 60-110mph in what felt like 2-3 seconds. This was short shifting 1st maybe 3000rpm from redline. This. Thing. Hauls. It's just starting to catch it's breath around 80mph and loves to sit there. Even cruising at 1500rpm in 6th at like 30mph - if you pin it, it doesn't feel like it's going to rattle itself into oblivion. It just goes, and goes pretty damn well.
Suspension - I don't really have enough ride time to comment but after riding it the first 10 minutes or so I would equate it to what riding on a cloud might feel like. I felt nearly nothing, even bigger bumps I could see coming were barely noticeable. The suspension is fully adjustable right out of the box, preload and rebound. I don't know enough about suspension to change anything, I just made sure the preload and rebound on the fork caps were equal.
Brakes are Brembo's, all around. I don't think they're fully bedded yet but they're very grabby. I got cut off by someone and had to grab a handful and it's nothing like the lazy FZ brakes.
Overall fit and finish is pretty great, everything flows very well on the bike. The throttle tube is a pretty long twist to go from nothing to fully open but I don't think I'd change it. Paint isn't amazing, I think it'll likely scratch and chip pretty easily. It also came with some pretty sporty Dunlops, most people say they're not getting much more than 3,000 mile out of the rear tire. I'll likely try some PR4's after I wear the stocker out since I never got the chance on the FZ.
That's pretty much all I can say right now, looking forward to getting some riding in this weekend since I'm off until Monday - but of course it just started raining here.

You can start the bike in neutral WITHOUT clutching, kinda neat, kinda pointless - but cool nonetheless.  

Aren't most (modern) bikes this way?  All 3 of my bikes are this way, including the FZ07.  I've never had to hold down the clutch to start the bike.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

Haha, finally! Well, congratulations AJ, excellent (read: correct) choice! While your argument for Honda made perfect, logical sense, you can't deny you wanted Suzi all along. I know I did.

It is indeed a different level bike. The power, the sound (after 5K rpm, it is intoxicating - stock!), suspension, transmission....they all feel like a good step up, as they should. Handlebar width, reach - just great. Proper rearsets. Quiet chain. Ok, I'll stop.:)

You can start the bike in neutral WITHOUT clutching, kinda neat, kinda pointless - but cool nonetheless.  

Aren't most (modern) bikes this way?  All 3 of my bikes are this way, including the FZ07.  I've never had to hold down the clutch to start the bike.

Suzuki bikes are kind of known for not being able to start without holding in the clutch. Especially the GSXRs

Gratz on the new bike AJ! I never really liked the GSXS line of bikes but after doing some research and watching some videos, they seem like very fun and well put together bikes. Stay out of trouble on that thing!

Guest ChicagoAJ
Gratz on the new bike AJ! I never really liked the GSXS line of bikes but after doing some research and watching some videos, they seem like very fun and well put together bikes. Stay out of trouble on that thing!
That's likely not going to happen. However, it's quick enough to get away from trouble. Or get me into it faster!

Archived