The MT-07 Forum

CB1000R or GSX-S1000..?

Guest ChicagoAJ

Guest ChicagoAJ
Hey AJ, so it's happening! Both are solid choices. I'm still biased towards the Zook, for these reasons: - power. No kidding ;). I passed a slower car yesterday and since I just finished the stage 1 of the break-in, I went over 6k rpm. Holly s***. The rush (and the sound) - just amazing. And I did not go above 8600 rpm - did not need to.
- Honda is a bit heavier and you feel it, although the chassis is well balanced and it hides a bit of that.
- Style. You have to see them in person. The Zook looks better in person, Honda does not. That's subjective though. The exhaust on the Honda is atrocious. Same with the headlight, although the Zook is over-styled in that department, so it's close. I like the single sided swing arm, but they killed it with that spiral psychedelic wheel in the back. I like the gold though.
- Brakes. They felt much more intuitve on the Zook (to me) compared to the Honda. Again, it depends on preferences.
- Traction control and Bosch ABS. They do have the potential to save your bacon.
- Dash has a bit more info on the Zook. 

I have to say that the fueling felt amazing on the Honda. Zook is a bit more agressive, but I like like that.

Keep us posted and good luck!
Break-in?! I would've hit the rev-limiter on the way out of the lot, haha. I'm getting way ahead of myself, seeing as how this probably won't happen until next season - but one can dream! Haven't even gotten my stock FZ stuff out of storage yet! Thanks for the info, bud. Glad to hear you still like the GSXS. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Break-in?! I would've hit the rev-limiter on the way out of the lot, haha. I'm getting way ahead of myself, seeing as how this probably won't happen until next season - but one can dream! Haven't even gotten my stock FZ stuff out of storage yet! Thanks for the info, bud. Glad to hear you still like the GSXS. 
Haha, I know, I know, this could work too. I'm going by the manual, but trust me, it's stupid fast even within those limits.

Don't make a poll. This topic is unnecessary. You should just get the one you had your eyes/heart set on from the beginning. Trust me. Or you'll just end up wasting time and money in the long run when you eventually get it later after you made your bad choice.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

I've ridden a CB1000R, it was buttery smooth all over, suspension was wonderful. You could ride that thing all day long without getting tired, and my friend that owns one rides it plenty aggressively, drags knees all over with it. I've never ridden the GSX but i've heard good things.

I'd probably jump at the honda for the price though, and spend the extra on the usual mods (tail tidy, ecu flash / exhaust)

The Honda is pretty sweet looking compared to the Suzuki.
25 hp difference sucks. That will piss you off every time a competing litre bike pulls away from you. Hell ... the 600 and 750 supersports will pull away from you.

The CB1000R because I don't like working on my bike (plug changes) if it's not to install an aftermarket part.  :P

Beemer

Guest ChicagoAJ
The Honda is pretty sweet looking compared to the Suzuki. 25 hp difference sucks. That will piss you off every time a competing litre bike pulls away from you. Hell ... the 600 and 750 supersports will pull away from you.

Yea, that's exactly why I'm on the fence about this. If the Honda had another 25-40hp, it would be no contest. I can't believe Honda thought it was a good idea to use the motor from a Fireblade with 170hp and detune it down to 124hp. The GSX actually makes more hp at the wheel than the Honda's motor alone. I believe the CB makes like 108hp at the wheel.  
I don't need a rocketship, that's why I'm not getting a liter supersport. But I don't want to feel wanting for more power, and I feel like that's exactly how I'll feel if I get the CB. 

Guest ChicagoAJ
That Honda is a 2015 (only color for that year), and the Zook is a 2016. Also, that Zook has an Akrapovic slip-on on it. So it's not a good stock for stock comparison. Their exhausts are almost identical. 

Guest 2wheeler

So what's the story regarding a flash on the Suzuki?

Does it take out the jerky throttle off of idle?

Is that one of the ones 2WDW has worked up?

Guest ChicagoAJ
So what's the story regarding a flash on the Suzuki?  
Does it take out the jerky throttle off of idle?

Is that one of the ones 2WDW has worked up?

It all depends on if the bike you purchase has a jerky throttle or not. I've been reading over the GSXS forums that a simple TPS adjustment completely cures the problem. All you need is a security torx T25 (I believe that's the size) and about 20 minutes to set it yourself. You can use a paper clip to bypass the diagnostic plug to get the dash to go into service mode to check the TPS to see if it's in the right spot or not. So I'm not super concerned about that.  
However, much like the numerous FZ-07 reviews of people complaining about the same thing, people complain about the engine braking and jerky throttle of the GSXS. 

Also, because of the harsh emissions restrictions - a lot of the bikes from overseas and the California models also have a pretty bad surging between 2000-3000rpm when trying to hold a constant speed. But Suzuki has already released a service bulletin and will replace the ECU with a slightly different tune if the bike in question has that problem. It would seem that these bikes have the jerky throttle problem more than the US and Canadian that don't require all the extra emission stuff. So if I do get one, I would think this won't be as big of an issue as people make it out to be. 

The Honda is pretty sweet looking compared to the Suzuki. 25 hp difference sucks. That will piss you off every time a competing litre bike pulls away from you. Hell ... the 600 and 750 supersports will pull away from you.

Yea, that's exactly why I'm on the fence about this. If the Honda had another 25-40hp, it would be no contest. I can't believe Honda thought it was a good idea to use the motor from a Fireblade with 170hp and detune it down to 124hp. The GSX actually makes more hp at the wheel than the Honda's motor alone. I believe the CB makes like 108hp at the wheel.  
I don't need a rocketship, that's why I'm not getting a liter supersport. But I don't want to feel wanting for more power, and I feel like that's exactly how I'll feel if I get the CB. 
I can't imagine you'll feel wanting for more power with either bike.  An exhaust and a tune and you'll be fine.

Guest ChicagoAJ

Look at that Honda stock fueling/power curve. It's basically a straight line! The GSX really takes a dump from 5-7k. To ride in the GSX's powerband up top, you'd have to be at a minimum of like 50-60mph in first gear. 1st goes to 74mph on the GSX (2nd is 106mph, 3rd is jail time), if it's that dead in the mid-range I might favor the Honda for all the city riding I do. 

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
I can't imagine you'll feel wanting for more power with either bike.  An exhaust and a tune and you'll be fine.
I don't know. Power is addicting...

SigSide.jpg

Guest ChicagoAJ
I don't know. Power is addicting...
Look at that dyno graph... The GSX is all over the place. High, low, high, low, HIGH, HIGH, HIGH. To ride that thing where the power is I'd be AT LEAST triple the limits on most streets (in 2nd gear or higher). Average speed limits where I live are probably around 35mph-45mph. 

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

Then Honda it is for you. I do a lot of highway and lately I've been going to the twisties. The FZ-07 I like more for the twisties. That Suzuki is a hefty girl.

SigSide.jpg

Guest ChicagoAJ
Then Honda it is for you. I do a lot of highway and lately I've been going to the twisties. The FZ-07 I like more for the twisties. That Suzuki is a hefty girl.
Yup, unless I find an unbeatable deal on a 2016 GSXS over the winter, I think I'll likely pick up a new old stock 2014/2015 CB1000R. 

That was announced like 2 weeks ago, haha. Love that giant exhaust... What the hell were they thinking?!?! 
Suzuki-GSX-R1000R-L7-RHS.jpg

What you do is, as soon as you buy the bike, you take that can off and throw it in the trash and straight pipe it. I think it says so in the gixxer user manual. At least that's what all the gixxer riders do in my neighborhood.

Archived