The MT-07 Forum

CB1000R or GSX-S1000..?

Guest ChicagoAJ

Guest ChicagoAJ
honda-cb1000r-6_1024x0w.jpg

040115-2016-suzuki-gsx-s1000-statics-alicante_001-copy.jpg

So here's the deal, I'm sure some of you have seen my bike up for sale in that section of the forums. I've decided to get rid of it, likely next season after parting it out over winter. So I've narrowed my search down to two bikes: Honda CB1000R or Suzuki GSX-S1000, nekkid for life! I've got a decent pro/con list for each bike I'll put below. But I'm looking for other people's opinions.

CB1000R

1) 124bhp (108whp)
2) 10.99 in the quarter mile
3) Runs on 87 octane
4) Spark plugs every 32,000 miles
5) Hydraulic clutch
6) Single sided swingarm (I'd need to get a new stand)
7) 150mph top speed
8) 37mpg on average
9) Fully adjustable suspension

GSX-S1000

1) 150bhp (138 whp)
2) 10.30 in the quarter mile
3) Runs on 93 octane
4) Park plugs every 7,500 miles
5) 155mph top speed
6) 45mpg on average
7) Fully adjustable suspension
8) 3 traction control modes standard
9) Gear position indicator 

A lot of Honda dealers within 100 miles of me have a plethora of new old stock CB1000Rs for sale, some even have back to 2012 models. The black and gold model I've pictured is a 2014, and there's about 7-8 of those between $6,899 and $7,999 (it's the color scheme and year I'd get if I got this bike), normal MSRP is $11,760. On the other hand, the Suzukis around me are all 2016 models and they're priced between $7,999 and $9,999. It's the first model year for the Suzuki and most of the reviews are nothing but great things besides a touchy throttle. The Honda's reviews are also all glowing with praise.

Help!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Insurance is full on crazy banana sandwich on both bikes. I was looking into a GSX-S1000F and ended up going with a Diavel instead. Insurance on the Diavel is less than 50% what it would be on the 1000F.

EDIT: Also, get the Honda.

• Premium Member

I would say look into the FJ-09... 50mpg, fairly excellent wind protection, still got chops to run with the liter bikes, I really believe the FJ-09 handles better than the FZ-07, ABS, Traction control, 3 power modes, runs under 11 secs in 1/4 mile, suspension is really good stock wise, the power  is between the two bikes you listed...

And the FJ has a center stand ?

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Personally I'd get the CB1000R if it was down to these 2 bikes. I just think the GSXS line of bikes look so boring and plain, but I've heard great things about them. Still would not get one because if I don't like looking at my bikes, I won't have as much fun riding them. Just a personal opinion.

You probably did some extensive research and came down to these 2 options, but why not the FZ-10?

Guest ChicagoAJ
Personally I'd get the CB1000R if it was down to these 2 bikes. I just think the GSXS line of bikes look so boring and plain, but I've heard great things about them. Still would not get one because if I don't like looking at my bikes, I won't have as much fun riding them. Just a personal opinion.  
You probably did some extensive research and came down to these 2 options, but why not the FZ-10?
Way too expensive at 13k MSRP. And ugly as sin. I was also considering the Z1000, but I don't like them much either in the looks department.  
@fusbal - The GSXS and CB are both cheaper to insure for me than my FZ-07, which is only a modest $263 per year for full coverage. So insurance isn't even a concern. 

@norcal616 - I think the FJ series is pretty hideous. Not a fan of that style. I've always been into sport bikes and naked sportbikes. I don't really care for much of anything else. 

Why not FZ-09? Much better power to weight ratio than Honda. CB1000R is a pig, it weights 479lb and it packs only 8HP and 9 ft-lb of torque more than Yamaha. For me this is a no brainer.

• Premium Member

Best of luck with your new hideous bike, they are not my style...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Guest ChicagoAJ
Why not FZ-09? Much better power to weight ratio than Honda. CB1000R is a pig, it weights 479lb and it packs only 8HP and 9 ft-lb of torque more than Yamaha. For me this is a no brainer.
Too similar to the FZ-07, it'd be like paying extra money for the exact same bike with some more power. Plus, 4 cylinders sound way better than 3, in my opinion. And the FZ-09 is so limited, it has basically the same top speed as the 07 and has CCT issues. After browsing the FZ-09 forums, there's a lot of people who have a lot of bad things to say about them. 
@norcal616 - Haha, you literally own the same style. So you think your FZ-07 is hideous too?!

Too similar to the FZ-07, it'd be like paying extra money for the exact same bike with some more power. Plus, 4 cylinders sound way better than 3, in my opinion. And the FZ-09 is so limited, it has basically the same top speed as the 07 and has CCT issues.  
I get it. If you're buying a brand new bike, FZ-10 costs only a grand more than CB1000R. FZ-10 is a better bike in every possible way .... my two cents. BTW, my next door neighbor has 2014 CB1000R ... he's planning to dump it and buy GSX-S1000.

Guest 2wheeler

My LBS is blowing out the 2016 GSX for $8000, so I checked with my new insurance carrier Dairyland. They want $406 for my FZ and $1089 for the GSX. It was a thought, but that changed my mind. I have no clue how you get those insurance prices in the Chicago area. I'm a lot older than you and have a clean driving record but I guess it's all because of living in the DC metro area.

BTW, I like the look of the Honda much better.

Guest jrkleinow

I say Honda all around. Giving up a little power but it will be a more refined bike all the way around. It is also still plenty fast.

Guest ChicagoAJ
Too similar to the FZ-07, it'd be like paying extra money for the exact same bike with some more power. Plus, 4 cylinders sound way better than 3, in my opinion. And the FZ-09 is so limited, it has basically the same top speed as the 07 and has CCT issues.  
I get it. If you're buying a brand new bike, FZ-10 costs only a grand more than CB1000R. FZ-10 is a better bike in every possible way .... my two cents. BTW, my next door neighbor has 2014 CB1000R ... he's planning to dump it and buy GSX-S1000.
I'd get a 2014 CB1000R for about $7,500 out the door, no way I'd spend almost double on a 2016. I don't see the point in trading in the CB for GSX. They're nearly identical, unless he wants that extra boost when covering a quarter mile.  
@2wheeler - I'm not sure. I only have 4 years street experience but I've had Progressive the entire time. My coverages are full, but the limits are only 25k/50k for most. If I do more damage than that in an accident I'll likely be dead, so having 100k/300k doesn't seem worth it or make sense to me. Plus I'm really only getting 6 months of coverage, not using it much between Nov-Apr. 

I went to see the Suzuki last weekend and it's a pretty nice bike in person. Very, very stiff suspension compared to the FZ-07. Plan to visit a Honda dealer this weekend to check them out as well. 

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

I've never ridden a CB1000R, but it's a nice looking narrow bike that would seem easy to maneuver in the twisties. If it's anything like the CBR1000RR, it should have a nice midrange.

I have ridden the GSX-S1000 and I enjoyed it. More tame than what I would have expected, but invigorating nonetheless. IIRC, the tank was pretty wide, but the positioning was comfortable. The sound was also really pleasing to the ear. The top end had a nice rush to it and the mid range was good. Very easy bike to ride fast. I got comfortable really fast.

I think the CB1000R overall is a better looker, but the GSX-S1000 had a more aggressive face. I just think the ass end of the Suzuki is too bubbly.

They both have older design motors and their pretty much bare bones naked bikes. It's really up to how much power you're wanting at the sacrifice of spark plugs and the cost of fuel. Everything else is opinion and taste.

If it were me, I'd get the Suzuki, because well, it's faster lol...

SigSide.jpg

Guest ChicagoAJ
I've never ridden a CB1000R, but it's a nice looking narrow bike that would seem easy to maneuver in the twisties. If it's anything like the CBR1000RR, it should have a nice midrange.  
I have ridden the GSX-S1000 and I enjoyed it. More tame than what I would have expected, but invigorating nonetheless. IIRC, the tank was pretty wide, but the positioning was comfortable. The sound was also really pleasing to the ear. The top end had a nice rush to it and the mid range was good. Very easy bike to ride fast. I got comfortable really fast.

I think the CB1000R overall is a better looker, but the GSX-S1000 had a more aggressive face. I just think the ass end of the Suzuki is too bubbly.

They both have older design motors and their pretty much bare bones naked bikes. It's really up to how much power you're wanting at the sacrifice of spark plugs and the cost of fuel. Everything else is opinion and taste.

If it were me, I'd get the Suzuki, because well, it's faster lol...
That's the only reason the Suzuki is even still be considered! Every thought I've had says to get the Honda, but I can't just dismiss the Suzuki because it's faster, lol.  

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

For what it's worth, the Suzuki put a smile on my face and made me rethink how I felt about Suzuki. I got off the bike and immediately thought, "Solid Bike".

I've never ridden the Honda, but I think it would be a fun bike, but I'm afraid like many Hondas not the CBR/RC, the bike might seem more vanilla than the Suzuki.

SigSide.jpg

Guest ChicagoAJ
For what it's worth, the Suzuki put a smile on my face and made me rethink how I felt about Suzuki. I got off the bike and immediately thought, "Solid Bike". 
I've never ridden the Honda, but I think it would be a fun bike, but I'm afraid like many Hondas not the CBR/RC, the bike might seem more vanilla than the Suzuki.
That's the only thing I've seen in reviews that even remotely come close to being something negative said about the Honda. Is that it's just a very refined and overall good bike. It does everything very well but it doesn't do anything great. Honda isn't known for making amazing bikes, I believe the 600RR and 1000RR are both the slowest bikes in their classes. But, they're likely the most reliable.  
I know the Suzuki will be a powerhouse, and with a few mods capable of high 9's in the quarter. But the Honda will be a workhorse for years and years and years without much in the ways of maintenance/work. 

It's definitely been a hard decision and I'm glad I have all winter to decide. I'll likely still be on the fence about it next year too. 

• Premium Member

so i just picked up a gsxr 1000 but was looking at the S and all the reviews for it are good compared to the other super naked bikes. Nothing wrong with the quality of the zuki.

And its faster soo.... its the whole point of getting it right

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

I don't like Suzuki for some reason. I have bad taste from them.  Between the two I'd go Honda I guess.  Man, I can't stand how ugly Suzukis are.  They are not doing anything at all in the design department.  They are stale.  Dated. 

I say go get a BMW. Or Triumph. My next bike will be one of those. I have way too many Japanese bikes. Time to experience new things.

Or maybe I'm getting old, I'm starting to get sick of the modern sport nakeds and am looking into the classic designs. The R Nine T Pure is looking mighty sexy.   But that boxer engine...

• Premium Member

I say...

TEST RIDE - TEST RIDE - TEST RIDE!

Ultimately, how you feel riding them should make a difference in which one you like. I haven't ridden either of them, so if I was in your shoes, that'd be what I'd do.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

My LBS is blowing out the 2016 GSX for $8000, so I checked with my new insurance carrier Dairyland. They want $406 for my FZ and $1089 for the GSX. It was a thought, but that changed my mind. I have no clue how you get those insurance prices in the Chicago area. I'm a lot older than you and have a clean driving record but I guess it's all because of living in the DC metro area. 
BTW, I like the look of the Honda much better.

It was nearing $2,000 for me on the GSX in Alexandria.  That ended my fascination with the GSX immediately.  I've got a clean driving record, safety classes, but not married and only a couple years of riding.

Guest ChicagoAJ
I say... 
TEST RIDE - TEST RIDE - TEST RIDE!

Ultimately, how you feel riding them should make a difference in which one you like. I haven't ridden either of them, so if I was in your shoes, that'd be what I'd do.

I've ridden a couple CB1000Rs back in the day. I think a 2011 and 2012, the only difference with the 2012 onwards is they've been lowered a half inch. They were nice bikes, smooth. Super smooth, no power-curve at all. All power all the time, but I guess that's what most liter bikes are made for. You could be in 6th at 30mph and nail it and it would go without hesitation.  
Haven't found a GSX-S1000 to get my hands on yet though. Missed a demo day a while back. I'm not anticipating it'll be much of a difference. Seat sure was comfy though when I sat on one last weekend. 

With how I keep flip-flopping back and forth - I'll probably have my FZ all next season. 

Hey AJ, so it's happening! Both are solid choices. I'm still biased towards the Zook, for these reasons:
- power. No kidding ;). I passed a slower car yesterday and since I just finished the stage 1 of the break-in, I went over 6k rpm. Holly s***. The rush (and the sound) - just amazing. And I did not go above 8600 rpm - did not need to.
- Honda is a bit heavier and you feel it, although the chassis is well balanced and it hides a bit of that.
- Style. You have to see them in person. The Zook looks better in person, Honda does not. That's subjective though. The exhaust on the Honda is atrocious. Same with the headlight, although the Zook is over-styled in that department, so it's close. I like the single sided swing arm, but they killed it with that spiral psychedelic wheel in the back. I like the gold though.
- Brakes. They felt much more intuitve on the Zook (to me) compared to the Honda. Again, it depends on preferences.
- Traction control and Bosch ABS. They do have the potential to save your bacon.
- Dash has a bit more info on the Zook. 

I have to say that the fueling felt amazing on the Honda. Zook is a bit more agressive, but I like like that.

Keep us posted and good luck!

Archived