The MT-07 Forum

What are your MPG losses with new exhaust systems?

Volksgeist

For those of you with aftermarket exhausts; both slip on and full; Fuel controller or no fuel controller, what levels of mpg are you achieving?

I've been looking at M4, Akrapovic, etc exhaust systems with the addition of fuel controllers and was wondering what kind of of reduction you've had with them, and what kind of mileage did you have before.

Should I expect significant loss of fuel efficiency from the manufacturers advertised 58 mpg? Or should I expect just a slight drop of maybe 5 or 2.

I'm not really looking for performance gain, as my bike is mostly for travel, but moreover for a better sound. Should I go for a new system or bite the bullet and keep stock pipes?

I can only go by what my what gauges say cause I haven't actually done the math to calculate specific gas mileage when riding. I have a full Yoshimura R77 exhaust system on my FZ with an ecu reflash. With my specific ride, I noticed my stock average mpg was 54mpg. With the exhaust and tune it now reads avg 46mpg. So I know I def took a bit of a hit with mpg, but I also romp the hell out of the hike so I don't try and maintain good gas mileage when out on it.

'15 Pearl White FZ-07 | Yoshi R77 Exhaust | ECU Reflash | Mad Hornets Shorty Levers | EvoTech Rad Guard | Yamaha Comfort Saddle | TST Industries Integrated Taillight | Motodynamics Fender Eliminator | Yamaha OEM Front LED Signals | Phillips MaxVision 130+ Bulb | OES Front/Rear Axle Sliders | Driven Racing TT Rearsets | Woodcraft 1.5" Clip-Ons | Woodcraft Engine & Water Pump Crash Cover | OEM Motocage Cage | LEDGlow SMD Mini Advanced Lighting Kit | Gilles Tooling Gauge Relocation Kit |

I've been at about 54 MPG since I bought the bike from 0 miles. At like 1,500 or 2,000 miles I put the Akrapovic Titanium on. I have noticed zero mpg loss, and I also ride pretty "aggressively".

I've been at about 54 MPG since I bought the bike from 0 miles. At like 1,500 or 2,000 miles I put the Akrapovic Titanium on. I have noticed zero mpg loss, and I also ride pretty "aggressively".
Sounds pretty enticing to get one now, but do you have the DB killer out on your Akrapovic? If so did you add a fuel controller? How good does your Akrapovic sound compared to the stock, and other pipes you've seen? 

I have run the TI with the DB killer removed since I installed it at like 2k miles or so. Now I'm at 10k and everything seems to be fine. I bought the EJK and Akrapovic bundle from our supporting vendor here. See this thread starting at this post to hear my thoughts on the sound without the DB killer. Also some good videos on there to get the sound as best you can from a video. Also check this thread out to get a comparison between stock and the Akrapovic TI.

FZ_07_10000_Close.jpg

Bonus pic of me hitting the 10k mark. lol

• Premium Member

With my stock exhaust I am averaging in the high 50's, like you I am really only interested and adding a better sound without sacrificing any performance or fuel efficency. Tomorrow I am installing a Delkevic full system  without a contoller for now and I will post up what the difference is. Interestingly on their site they claim this is a true plug and play system designed specifically for stock mapping and if the stock mapping has been changed then you will probably need to change it back. I guess tomorow I will find ou if this is true or not.

I have run the TI with the DB killer removed since I installed it at like 2k miles or so. Now I'm at 10k and everything seems to be fine. I bought the EJK and Akrapovic bundle from our supporting vendor here. See this thread starting at this post to hear my thoughts on the sound without the DB killer. Also some good videos on there to get the sound as best you can from a video. Also check this thread out to get a comparison between stock and the Akrapovic TI. 

FZ_07_10000_Close.jpg

Bonus pic of me hitting the 10k mark. lol

Here's mine from around 1 month ago. Almost at 12k now :D8p_Wv0n_I_Imgur.jpg

M4 w/baffle no snorkel was averaging 58mpg with moderate riding. With 2WDW flash 52 to 56 but with more aggressive riding as well so consider that too. It is hard to not twist the wrist like a hooligan. I commute a lot with fun rides when I can and also use non ethanol gas.

Yosh full carbon fiber w/db killer, Hord airbox and PCV with Hords map, homemade 42mm dia. quick throttle so I'm not real subtle on acceleration, just did 165 miles of suspension testing (no freeway) and filled back up at same pump to same level with 2.428 gals. for 68 mpg. but typically get around 58 mpg. at higher average speeds.

my buddy has an akra ti with 2wdw ecu flash, he gets a consistant 55-54 mpg on 91 or 93 gas.
i have a full yoshi and i get a consistant 53-54 mpg on 93 gas.
i start flashing around 148 miles on the trip meter when i was stock i would flash at 148 - 152
when i had the m4 no baffle with 2wdw flash i would start flashing at around 138-140

Dave

According to my bike I avg. around 54 mpg. with non ethanol gas, an Akrapovic c.f. pipe, K&N air filter and EJK if I ride easy but I usually don't and don't care about gas mileage on the bike because it's always better than the cars mileage. 

Beemer

I have been averaging 48 mpg with my full Akra Carbon. That's not too good. Why is that?! I ride conservatively and use 100% gas but don't know the octane. I put the Akra on around 1500 miles but averaged about the same with my stock pipes. Help!! 
I will add that all of my riding is stop and go city traffic. Is that the problem?
Stop and go city traffic will always result in worse MPG. I should add I do mostly free way riding and occasional rides to and from random places and I average 56 MPG. I hardly ever have stop and go traffic.

• Premium Member

With the 2wdw flash you use a tiny bit extra fuel due to the deceleration fueling being turned back on(this is why the fz-07 has semi truck grade engine braking on OEM fuel map because decel fuel is turned off)...all I know is when I see 145 miles on my trip meter I know it's time to start looking for a gas station in the next 20 miles...way too many variables effect mpg...most direct general cause of lower mpg is an aggressive rider ( an aggressive rider tends to vary with others idea of an aggressive rider) ...ride your bike like grandma going to church on Sunday you generally tend to see higher mpg...and i don't rely on the display for mpg... calculate your mpg by miles rode and how much it to fill it back up...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Guest ChicagoAJ

My bike got about 52-54mpg before exhaust and ECU flash. Riding pretty hard about half the time on 87 octane fuel.

After a full exhaust and ECU flash it gets about 48-50mpg on 93 octane fuel.

I have the M4 slip on and an EJK controller. I did not do anything special with my EJK yet as far as mapping goes, but when my bike was stock the best average I got was 58.4 mpg that was just riding and not pushing it. With the new set up I have my best was 56.2 mpg average. That said with the new set up I do kind of push it a little harder. I am sure if I throttle back some and map the EJK I could get better mpg.

M4, no baffle, no controller, the bike says 46mpg and I don't yet know if I believe it. Stop and go traffic and I ride in a lower gear than ECO meter wants to be as I like to have it a bit more in the power than otherwise. I hoon the hell out of it about half the time and plan to eventually track it. And honestly 46 is still a hell of a lot better than I get on my superbike so it's all relative and I'm not complaining.

I consider that M4 necessary equipment for my city-riding set-up. Compared to it, the stock exhaust is kitten quiet, which is no bueno when it comes to negotiating LA traffic.

Guest ChicagoAJ
M4, no baffle, no controller, the bike says 46mpg and I don't yet know if I believe it. Stop and go traffic and I ride in a lower gear than ECO meter wants to be as I like to have it a bit more in the power than otherwise. I hoon the hell out of it about half the time and plan to eventually track it. And honestly 46 is still a hell of a lot better than I get on my superbike so it's all relative and I'm not complaining. 
I consider that M4 necessary equipment for my city-riding set-up. Compared to it, the stock exhaust is kitten quiet, which is no bueno when it comes to negotiating LA traffic.
Mine always said 46.4 on the readout, it was always between 49-53 calculated at the pump.  

Akra ti with DB killer and no ECU change, no gas milage change either. Sound is deeper and more satisfying without being uncomfortable or embarrassing, suits me fine.

The first 1000 miles or so, the bike stock has lower MPG due to breaking in the engine.
After 1k miles, preferably after 2,5k miles it should be at an optimal MPG point.
Changing the exhaust by one without catalytic converter should give you a tad better MPG, and adding a fuel controller really would depend on how you set the mixture to be.

For people who ride the bike gently, setting it to burn slightly lean will help improve MPG, and the exhaust doesn't need to be changed.
On this bike, I'd say you have more than enough power for the streets.

Personally I'd keep the exhaust and Fuel Controller stock.

• 5 months later...
chrisburges

How does everyone get such good mileage. I get about 35mpg. starts flashing at about 118 miles
Full akra carbon, 2wdw flash, DNA fliter always premium gas.
Before the flash i was getting about 45 mpg

~aggressive rider in NYC

I do not know what my bike used stock because I bought it used, already outfitted with a short Arrows full system and EJK plus some racing filter and snorkel removal. The CO-sensor(?) is present, but not connected. The PO himself only rode the bike 5 miles with the stock system.

What I can say is that my instrument said 4.1 litre = 57.3 mpgUS when I filled it the first time. That was riding at around 60 mph facing a strong wind on gently winding roads with constant elevations changes, intersected by some sections of brisk riding over winding back-roads, so not ideal for an economy run. When I calculated the consumption, tank filled to the brim, I got even better figures; 3.77 litre or 62.3 mpg. Currently, my computer is telling me 3.9 litre / 60.3 mpg.

Archived