The MT-07 Forum

[POLL] What is your favorite transmission gear?

AlbatrossCafe

AlbatrossCafe
And why?

For me, 4th gear reigns supreme. It is the perfect hybrid of punch & speed. I love sitting at 30mph cruising through a quaint street and rolling on full in 4th, as I get pulled hard (this is not a sexual euphemism btw) up to 70. It feels like the beginning of a roller coaster. Sure it is not the quickest gear, but 4th feels like it has the most meat behind it (again, not sexual). You also sit in that pull with those g-forces for a pretty decent amount of time as opposed to it being over in < 1.3 seconds (looking at you first gear). I also like how I can get acceleration & solid speed without being too high in the RPMS.

3rd gear has to rev too high and is a little slow in terms of top speed. 5th doesn't have quite that quick.

What about everyone else?

Edit: Added "neutral" so no one felt left out

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favorite is 2nd. Easy to power wheelie and do clutch ups, and the feeling of torque accelerating from 25 mph to redline is amazing.

Edit:You're such a weirdo, liking your own post  :P

stock exhaust, I can actually hear the the engine when I'm slowing down from high 3rd. most mountain roads by my house are also about 3rd gear roads.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

It depends, but 4th gear is the tallest making it most versatile. I like 4th a lot.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member

Seriously?!? 

(btw, my fave sparkplug is the one on the... wait for it... ... LEFT!)

Each gear is different and special in it's own way but it's 2nd gear ftw! As someone else mentioned you can wheelie in it and you can really feel the torque pull hardest in that gear which in turn really show cases the sound of the cross plane twin. It's also a gear I can cruise slow enough in I can walk the cat or enjoy a cold one and get some use out of my cup holder. Or, just to fire one up, ha! I kid!  P-)  I don't have a cup holder.

Beemer

Where I live we have long 2 lane roads and for me personally 5th gear is my favorite. It has that punch to get up and pass someone and its perfect for when your going 50 miles down a road at 55 mph. Staying in 5th gear is the best option compared to 6th or 4th. Sometimes I even skip 4th gear and go straight to 5 from 3. But sometimes I want that eco and that's when 6th gear comes into place on long roads.

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

While riding on the back roads around town, I mostly use 3rd and 4th gear. 4th would be my favorite because of the throttle response.

AlbatrossCafe

Close race... 2, 3, & 4 are currently tied. No love for 6th or 1st though... why? haha. 1st seems kind of annoying to me - it gets you going but you can't roll on full without a wheelie so it is frustrating.

And who is voting for neutral??

Guest 2wheeler

I may as well be the current tie breaker... I vote for 2nd as that is the most doable rush gear. Oh I would get a rush really cranking on 1st, but I am not a good wheelie guy on a street bike. 2nd gives a good rush, easy medium size wheelies, and a giggles fun, speed shift into 3rd, but very controllable.

martyinaustin
And why? 
For me, 4th gear reigns supreme. It is the perfect hybrid of punch & speed. I love sitting at 30mph cruising through a quaint street and rolling on full in 4th, as I get pulled hard (this is not a sexual euphemism btw) up to 70. It feels like the beginning of a roller coaster.

i feel the same way.  i call it "making the jump to light speed..." 
m.

• 8 months later...

6TH AND WFO, on the R1 that's pushing 180 plus "Ultamate favorite"
1 - 6 with the ike on the cam thats around 10.5k all that HP unleashed WOOD MAKER

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

On the roads I ride, 3rd most often, followed by 4th.

1st and 2nd are for getting moving or coming to a stop, and 5th and 6th are for Interstate highways, which I rarely take.

There is a gear for every situation, but considering that I spend at least 90 % of the distance I ride in 6th gear that's what I must vote for.

• Premium Member

on the FZ-07, 4th seems to cover 90% of my normal riding range...just enough oomph at 30mph till 65mph... this little motor is happy above 4k rpms till about 9k rpms...

the FJ-09... its 1st gear at a stop light with the revs soft bouncing(Launch Control) at 7.5k rpms even tho my elbow is pointed straight down at the ground, then all hell is unleashed as soon as the clutch drops, no need to worry about flipping the bike due to Traction Control ?

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Archived