Sign in to follow this  
neilkate

Carbon Fiber!!

neilkate
Just installed several carbon fiber bits to my 2016 FZ-07.

All sourced from MotoComposites (Quebec)

All in twill weave with glossy finish (glossy finish way more durable than matte finish)

Rear hugger and heel guards were 100% carbon fiber; frame covers were CF backed with fiberglass

100% CF is way lighter, 15% more expensive, and the only way to go if you can see the back of the piece when mounted

CF with fiberglass backing OK for the frame covers, since you can't see the backs

Both 100% CF and fiberglass-backed CF have about the same strength

(Photos aren't great; complain to my wife. Go ahead; I dare you!!)[attachment id=2381" thumbnail="1][attachment id=2382" thumbnail="1]

rxSpeeD
Looks really nice! I know the weight difference is very minimal on such small pieces, but how is the weight of these vs. the stock parts? Can you even notice the difference?

Guest ChicagoAJ
All those parts will start to turn yellow and blister if left in the sun for a season or so.

dony
All those parts will start to turn yellow and blister if left in the sun for a season or so.
If it is quality carbon firbe it will have a uv protective coating and unless it gets compromised the sun won't bother it.

neilkate
Looks really nice! I know the weight difference is very minimal on such small pieces, but how is the weight of these vs. the stock parts? Can you even notice the difference?
The 100% CF pieces weigh almost nothing, the CF with fiberglass parts (eg frame covers) weigh less than stock but more than the 100% CF. All of the CF parts shown in the two photos probably add up to 1/4 lb in weight loss, which rounds to zero. CF is all about the looks. 

neilkate
Looks great! But I would crack that heel guard in a week
I'll let you know if I snap the heel guard, but it feels like a very stout part when mounted on the bike; we'll see. 
  • Like 1

avanti
Good carbon, you will NOT "snap" it, unless you lay it down. I've used carbon push-rods for years and they are unbelievably rigid/strong. And, other than the steel tips, the actual carbon rods weigh almost nothing at all.

jimme
I was thinking of going this route because i just think it would look great, but i don't know where to stop and it would be costly. So i was thinking of trying vinyl wrap. I'm going to try doing it myself but even if i pay a shop to do it for me it would be lots cheaper then the real stuff. I will try and document how that goes.