The MT-07 Forum

Security - How to get people to quit messing with my stuff

imkman00

Okay kids, 

This is more of a venting fest than an actual question - but seriously, how hard is it to get people to not mess with one's things?

I had a cover stolen three weeks ago (they went through my neighbor's saddle bags too).

I grudgingly replaced the cover (yay $90) and put it on this weekend....lasted two days without someone trying to get it again.  This time I had it cable locked through the eyelets and front wheel so they just cut cover (wrecking it) and left it halfway off the bike in a pile. Same jerks also seemed to be eyeballing the neighbor's krypo disk lock too, as the key hole cover was popped off. 

Follow up question - When/if I catch these f**ks in action, how much trouble am I going to get in for braining them with a D-cell maglite?

They're not stealing your cover, they're about to steal your bike! yes shoot them, brain them, etc. When you confronted them they threatened you.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

booboobusfz07

Defense of property in process of theft? Yeah I wouldn't worry too much about getting in trouble. Although if they're trying to steal your bike I'd definitely want more than a Maglite to use on em. 12g with birdshot should do nicely.

Be careful about going after people stealing your stuff. If they attempt to get away and you attack them you can be prosecuted. If they attack you, you have every right to defend yourself (and your property, depending on what state you live in), but if you prevent them from leaving there is a gray area. Be careful! A bike isn't worth your life and you don't know if these people have firearms.

Probably not legal   P-)    but in the Army we used do shifts to watch over everything and everyone with an M16 in hand. Of course that required camping and a few buddies. 

Beemer

If I still lived in Denver there'd be some heavily-armed make my day law in effect, for sure....in Brooklyn, however, I am sadly (mostly) unarmed.

Neighbor added a security the other day, so at least the battle will be recorded for posterity.

Guest ChicagoAJ
Defense of property in process of theft? Yeah I wouldn't worry too much about getting in trouble. Although if they're trying to steal your bike I'd definitely want more than a Maglite to use on em. 12g with birdshot should do nicely.
Slugs would work much nicer. 

A good insurance policy and some electronic security measures can help. Attacking someone will get you arrested in most states.

I do a write up soon on electronic security options for shared parking areas. If in your own owned driveway, an IR WI FI camera can at least help get the guy prosecuted.

For shared parking areas I know of some alarm detection/reporting devices that can detect movement when set up the right way. Iv'e been kicking around the idea of using my years of experience designing and installing different systems for banks and creating devices for motorcycles.

arlo wifi camera, it's battery powered so you can stick it anywhere and it will text you if the motion sensor gets tripped. and you get a recording of who ever triggered.

I was kidding bout the AR15 thing so on a serious note, if you pull a gun on someone, let alone shoot them, you'd better be able to prove your life was in danger or you will most likely be pondering your actions in a prison. Someone stealing your property isn't a threat to your life. You best read up on your state laws.

Beemer

I was kidding bout the AR15 thing so on a serious note, if you pull a gun on someone, let alone shoot them, you'd better be able to prove your life was in danger or you will most likely be pondering your actions in a prison. Someone steeling your property isn't a threat to your life. You best read up on your state laws.

Unless you live in Texas. In Texas you have the right to shoot anyone on your property by just claiming that they were stealing or threatening.

Google Joe Horn

Guest ChicagoAJ
I was kidding bout the AR15 thing so on a serious note, if you pull a gun on someone, let alone shoot them, you'd better be able to prove your life was in danger or you will most likely be pondering your actions in a prison. Someone steeling your property isn't a threat to your life. You best read up on your state laws.
Unless you live in Texas. In Texas you have the right to shoot anyone on your property by just claiming that they were stealing or threatening.  
Google Joe Horn

Don't Google Joe's Horn, though...

Joe Horn was a old guy who lived in Texas. He noticed two men breaking into his neighbors house thru a window and called 911. The police could not get a car there in time. Even though the 911 dispatcher warned Joe not to, he decided to put down the phone and go blast the perps himself. Joe Horn was not charged.

You can hear everything take place in the 911 call below, including the shots that were fired.

Yea if you live in Brooklyn, forget about shooting someone trying to steal your stuff. NYPD will lock you up in a second. Sounds like it might be time to move out of the hood, or maybe rent a garage.

I used to live in Boro Park and I would leave my FZ-07 on the sidewalk in front of my house every night. Luckily it was never stolen. But the Hasidic kids would climb all over my bike and I would constantly yell at them from my window. I swear those kids never saw a motorcycle up close.

Google Joe Horn

IKR, I've heard a few good stories while living in Austin for 17 years. I just assumed we were talking specifically about N.Y. since he's (the OP) from there.  Oh, yeah, I'd like to add: "Thank god there is still a state that allows people to enact justice on criminals that don't deserve to live."

Beemer

• 2 years later...
  • Premium Member
On 10/14/2016 at 4:04 PM, Cruizin said:

Google Joe Horn

God bless Texas! *salutes* 🤣👉🤯

^^ yo be drinkin huh @TylerNT02

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member

Yea I'm close to that area, just a little more west. Need to find some people that ride around here though 😕

9 hours ago, TylerNT02 said:

Lol here in central/east Texas everyone has a beer in their hand and liver failure 😂

Ha! It makes perfect sense now, because of their health, people there can't run to catch a thief so they HAVE TO be dependent on a bullet to catch up to them. 😆

Beemer

Archived