The MT-07 Forum

Isle of Man Lightweight TT Test: Suzuki SV650 v Yamaha MT-07

Beemer

[video src=https://youtu.be/ynYxjAnFXSo]  There's that talk about the suspension again but that's as good as it gets at that price so buyer beware! Want a better handling bike off the floor, get a different bike!

Beemer

• Premium Member

So this video has one of my pet peves... The back ground music was as loud if not louder than the guys speaking. My hearing is crap to begin with and with their accent and loud music I missed half of what they were saying :/

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

So this video has one of my pet peves... The back ground music was as loud if not louder than the guys speaking. My hearing is crap to begin with and with their accent and loud music I missed half of what they were saying :/
That's funny, I was going to say they needed subtitles but forgot to. Subtitles for English, who'da thought?

Beemer

Guest 2wheeler
That's funny, I was going to say they needed subtitles but forgot to. Subtitles for English, who'da thought?
Oh, they were speaking English??? 

Oh, they were speaking English???
Dag or dog? If you answered dag you may be a Pikey. 

[video src=https://youtu.be/2a_ATxfEuLU]

Beemer

AlbatrossCafe

Maybe I am missing something... I am ~250lbs at least with gear. I ride that FZ hard on a sidewinding country road leading up to my house. I scrape pegs on highway on ramps. I hit a little over a mile of gravel every day leaving/arriving at my house going 25mph+ over bumps/potholes.

The suspension seems fine to me. I bet if I rode something with an upgrade I would know what I was missing though. That's why I avoid other people's bikes...

The only time it betrayed me is running over a drainage grate at 65mph in an off-ramp where they had just paved (about a 1.5" drop at least, some BS) and I felt like my balls got hit into my chest. Other than that, it's been great ;)

• 1 month later...
Maybe I am missing something... I am ~250lbs at least with gear. I ride that FZ hard on a sidewinding country road leading up to my house. I scrape pegs on highway on ramps. I hit a little over a mile of gravel every day leaving/arriving at my house going 25mph+ over bumps/potholes. 
The suspension seems fine to me. I bet if I rode something with an upgrade I would know what I was missing though. That's why I avoid other people's bikes...

The only time it betrayed me is running over a drainage grate at 65mph in an off-ramp where they had just paved (about a 1.5" drop at least, some BS) and I felt like my balls got hit into my chest. Other than that, it's been great ;)
For every day riding is was fine. And I never had an issue.

However I took it to Tail of the Dragon and Devil's Triangle(which Id say is even more technical than the Dragon and it is a lot longer) this year. I kept my speed around 40 mph for the most part. However it was in thisnit showed the weakness.

Having the suspension pogo stick in an uphill switchback.....well, lets just say I am lucky I have the bowel control I do or else I'd probably still be scrubbing my riding pants.

Robberboy has described exactly why we whinge about the rear suspension. Almost any suspension is fine when rolling along on a flat road upright. It is when it hits a lump and dip and it starts slopping all over the place that you get troubles. If it happens on a corner it can be very dangerous. If it happens on a tight corner when you are on the inside lane , and there a steel cage in that lane coming the other way , ...er...most problematic.
Your suspension should NEVER bottom out....NEVER. You can use all but the last mm but it should never bottom out. Besides being extremely dangerous from the bike being tossed , virtue of a now rigid suspension, a bottom out is the equivalent of taking a sledge hammer to the tiny little bits of metal that support the shock.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

I weigh 75kgs without bike gear and I find it way too soft for cornering at moderate speeds, in fact i'll describe it as downright dangerous and wallowy.
It's all in the lack of damping for my weight.

• 2 months later...
I missed everything they said.  What kind of English was that??                  valvestem

Archived