The MT-07 Forum

Another ECU flash question for warranty reasons.

grayknight

I've decided id like to go with the 2wdw ecu flash. My main question is this.

Id like to buy the extended warranty on the bike through Yamaha. My idea was to buy a used stock ecu that i could plug in and then take the bike to the dealer of there is an issue that is covered under warranty. Ive seen some ecu's on ebay for around $200.00

Is it feasible to do this and if i buy the ecu from another bike will it be a "plug and play" install or will i need that ecu flashed to my bike for it to run correctly?

I worked in a powersports store for a while, but really it doesn't matter if it's for a car or a motorcycle or even electronics at Best Buy; the extended warranty is a money making gag. Avoid at all costs.

PLUS, you're wanting to spend another $200 on top of that just to have a stock ECU sitting around? Nope.

21789294.jpg

I get the ethical part totally, but working for a major automotive company, ive seen warranties canceled because of tuning. It happens, and alot more often then you think. Do i agree with it? No not exactly, but id rather have a spare ecu laying around that i can plug in if the need arises.

I still havent decided 100% if i will purchase the warranty so im weighing the pro's and con's of it when the intial investment on this bike is so small ( meaning these are pretty much entry level sport bikes compared to most of whats out)

Motorcycle companies aren't nearly as big of dicks as a lot of automotive companies. I remember getting denied warranty work on a Cobalt SS because the front tires were more worn than the backs, so they concluded that I had been hot rodding it - and there were hundreds of similar stories on the forums. Isn't that kind of why you made a supercharged sport compact, GM? It's not really the same with motorcycles, though.

But I guess it depends on what you're expecting to need to warranty. They're not going to deny you warranty work on a faulty radiator if you have a tune. But if you change the tune on the bike and then a few months later melt your pistons... that's on you, and it's debatable at that point on whether they'd cover you or not. Honestly, they might just check for a PCV and that's it. Reflashing ECU's isn't as common a thing on bikes as it is on cars. What else would there be to warranty though? They're simple machines. Simple to the point that almost anything that might possible go wrong will likely be much cheaper to replace than to pay for an extended warranty. Which for a 700cc bike, the YES plan is $600.

If you work in the automotive industry then you should know that the reason extended warranties are pushed so hard, is because they're almost always 100% profit. Same goes for ExWarr's just about anywhere... Lowe's, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, etc.

If it is the YES plan that you're considering, and you're still considering it, even against my warning not to throw your money away, you can buy them at a discounted price from Yamaha Parts Nation. $440 instead of $590. They can offer that big discount because they're making so much money off of it. ;)

pineappleunderthesea

Overall it seems there arent many issues with the FZ-07, so odds that you'll need to take it in for major issues are pretty low. So just get the flash and don't worry about extended warranties.
With the cash you save on buying a warranty and a spare ECU, you can get yourself a nice exhaust!

The only time i really consider extended warranties, is on my vehicles. They are available as a sole profit generator for the business, however i have had good luck with them myself when things have happend.
I guess im just hyper-sensitive, as they have saved my ass numerous times.

I've already put an Akra carbon on the bike and i love it so much more now but it definitely needs a PC or even better a reflash.

Archived