The MT-07 Forum

Squeaky metallic sound on brand new fz

fzzoom

Hey guys,

I bought my 2016 fz with 1 mile and have loved it so far except for one issue.

My bike makes a very annoying squeaking sound(like keys jangling together almost). It is coming from the left side and has been happening since about mile 20. after about 200 miles my chain was super loose so I had it tightened.

Not sure if that helped any though as it is still making the sound. The bike sounds fine and I can barely hear it just riding on my own.

The second a car is on my left or I'm riding next to a guardrail is sounds totally awful. I took it back to the dealership and they said it is the chain. They told me bikes make noise riding next to things which I'm well aware of... But this isn't a normal "bike sound " I don't think...Is anyone else's chain extremely annoying and squeaky when the first get the bike?

I'm thinking of bringing it to a different shop but wanted to know if other people have had this happen. I hope it will go away as the bike breaks in more, I have just over 300 miles on it. Any advice would be great!

• Premium Member

It's a well beaten and debated topic the stock chain is noisy as heck, the solution is an aftermarket o-ring chain which tend to run noticeably quieter...if your still running the stock exhaust, well your gonna hear quite a bit of intake noises, chain noises, maybe your hearing the springs in the forks( search videos or post your own video, we need to hear your noise your trying to describe) like the fuel injectors going, etc...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Try wertting a paper towel with some motor oil and then wipe the chain with it. If you have to, move the bike forward to get the whole chain. Go for a ride and see if it's now quitter. if this works, note the miles it takes befor the chain to make no use again. Repeat as needed.

Thanks for all the info guys.

My chain is super loose again after adjusting it about 100 miles ago. I have about 450 miles on it now, thinking of just swapping the chain.

Will try to get a video of the sound.

Define super loose? There should be 2" of play in that chain. it should pretty much touch the underside of the swingarm in the middle of the run. If you are making it tighter, you might be killing it and that's why it's getting "looser".

• Global Moderator
Thanks for all the info guys. 

My chain is super loose again after adjusting it about 100 miles ago. I have about 450 miles on it now, thinking of just swapping the chain.

Will try to get a video of the sound.

My chain was loose at about 200 miles. I have not had to adjust it since and I have over 9,000 miles on it now. Are you sure you torqued the nut correctly?

Archived