The MT-07 Forum

Grip glue on plastic

enzothebaker

enzothebaker

I got some grip glue on the plastic air intake covers. Anyway to remove it or am I stuck buying a new one? I heated and removed the dried glue so what you see in the picture is what I'm left with
IMG_5487.jpg

Of course there are different remedies for that and I don't know how tough it is to remove that stuff but if it does prove to be tough you can take that panel off and put a dab of acetone on the back side and rub it in some to see if the plastic will hold up to it. Acetone is corrosive so you have to be careful with what you use it on. I used to work with acetone and I have a feeling it will be alright to use, the panel is a hard plastic. Just try a spot on the back side first to see if it discolors or anything else.

Beemer

enzothebaker
Of course there are different remedies for that and I don't know how tough it is to remove that stuff but if it does prove to be tough you can take that panel off and put a dab of acetone on the back side and rub it in some to see if the plastic will hold up to it. Acetone is corrosive so you have to be careful with what you use it on. I used to work with acetone and I have a feeling it will be alright to use, the panel is a hard plastic. Just try a spot on the back side first to see if it discolors or anything else.

I'll give it a try. Thanks

• Global Moderator

I am pretty sur you will have to save up for a new panel. The glue was made to stick. Acetone will surely eat into the plastic. You could consider just sanding them down and paint them if you feel creative.
Good thing panels are not hat expensive.

• Global Moderator

that glue should more or less be a polyprop contact adhesive, a pencil eraser should work to get it off.

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Thank would try mineral spirits 1st. Shouldn't hurt the plastic and might soften the glue. I'm also thinking acetone will dissolve the plastic.

Which grip glue did you use? Honda or Yamabond grip glue shouldn't be too difficult to take care of.

But if you used the ProTaper stuff... that stuff is essentially just superglue. It probably won't be coming off in that case.

Which grip glue did you use? Honda or Yamabond grip glue shouldn't be too difficult to take care of. 
But if you used the ProTaper stuff... that stuff is essentially just superglue. It probably won't be coming off in that case.

Yea that's the stuff. I figured I'd have to buy new plastic.

Archived