The MT-07 Forum

Chain guide

spazz241

• Premium Member

Need Help Everyone ! ! I need the rubber guard that the chain rides on atop the swing arm. Part number is 1WS-22151-00-00 SEAL, GUARD. Yamaha states out of stock till November 13th ! ! ! I commute 128 miles a day on it. I bought it December 13th 2015 and have 27,600 on it already. Anyone have any sources or ideas on how to obtain the part. Thanks to all in advance ! !

Don't ever buy directly from your dealer or yamaha. Just put that number into google and choose one of the respectable 3rd party part house like partzilla, ron ayers, etc.

• Premium Member

I did. I have a current order with yamahapartshouse and partzilla. They told me October 6th, and today the 15th so I called yamaha motor corporation and they told me November 13th.

If need be, you could take a similar guide and cut the top run off and stick it to your swing arm with that double backed foam tape, temporary of course.

Bad sign a part like that is back order. Sorta suggests there's a bigger demand than Yamaha came close to expecting

They are soft and flexy and not secured that well to maintain alignment. With a light wt. rider, (esp. w/extended shock) the chain almost always runs along the aft end of the guide, premature wear guaranteed. We need a tougher aftermarket alternative.

• Premium Member
If need be, you could take a similar guide and cut the top run off and stick it to your swing arm with that double backed foam tape, temporary of course.
I was definitely thinking the same !

The nice thing about a stamped steel swing arm is that you can drill it and install a nutsert and screw down a non stock guide, heck, if your careful you could probably drill and tap the swing arm without the nutsert for something like an 8-32 flush screw or metric equivalent. If I find the right guide, I will do this (nutsert), might have to look on line for tough dirt bike guide or maybe buy a strip of black delrin and manufacture one. The stock one is just to soft, flimsy and thin.

The nice thing about a stamped steel swing arm is that you can drill it and install a nutsert and screw down a non stock guide, heck, if your careful you could probably drill and tap the swing arm without the nutsert for something like an 8-32 flush screw or metric equivalent. If I find the right guide, I will do this (nutsert), might have to look on line for tough dirt bike guide or maybe buy a strip of black delrin and manufacture one. The stock one is just to soft, flimsy and thin.
You should pull out the chain adjuster things. Think you'll be surprised to see just how thin that swinger material is. Even at 32 tpi, you might not  have enough metal for even 3 threads  

I've had it all apart Rick, drilled and installed 4, 8-32 nutserts in the swinger to install my custom alloy hugger front. If I had 3 clean threads, I'm pretty sure I could install a chain guide with either 6 or 8-32 screws, if it didn't work then just drill the attempt out larger for a nutsert, no harm done. I'm just never sure of a posters abilities or access to or will to try alternatives hence the suggestion for a temporary fix involving dbl. sided sticky foam tape. Now that I think about it, I think I'll stick a small pc. of that tape under the middle of my guide to center it...for now.

I ordered a new one about 2 weeks ago from Yamaha parts warehouse got an email last week saying it was on backorder was going to ask the same question till I saw this. If anyone finds an aftermarket replacement I'd totally be interested. Anyone found somewhere with it in Stock?

Update: 10/11/2016
Partzilla has it on back order and two other orders already in 
Yamahapartwarehouse also has it on back order I have no clue when they will get it in looks like another week atleast

I've changed my chain guide two weeks ago, I've bought the item from my local Yamaha dealer.
The replacement is soft and flexy, maybe softer than the original (from the factory) part.

Some days ago I've seen the chain guide of an Tracer 700 (the "touring" version of the MT/FZ-07).
The swing arm is a little different (unfortunately), I was conscious of that.
But: the chain guide seems to be less softer and less flex than the one of the MT-07.

I hope that Yamaha is providing a new stock of guides for the MT-07 with the same material that I've seen on the Tracer 700.

So... when someone of you will receive a new chain guide let us know how hard is the replacement part.
If the new will be like the one of the Tracer, I'll change mine for the second time at the start of the spring.

www.MT-Series.it
Yamaha Official MT-Series Club

• 3 months later...

@etorty when you replaced your chain guide did you have any difficulty getting the center plug on the bottom of the guide into the hole? I've tried putting a little lubricant on it and even applying upward pressure with a floor jack, but nothing will get that little plug into the hole. I was able to get every other plug to seat with ease because of the extended tab. I'm not sure why the center plug doesn't have that tab also.

Hello @ddog , when I've replaced my chain guide I've had no hassle getting all the plugs into the respective holes...
Only a little difficult for the end plug of the top section (the only on the top). But only because it's asymmetric.
The middle bottom plug wasn't too hard to push in the hole... I can't imagine why you've found that so difficult.
When I've cleaned my bike before the winter (about one month ago) I've added a piece of double-side adhesive tape.
You can see that in the two pictures.

post_3401_0_65140700_1482336351.jpg

post_3401_0_33579900_1482336357.jpg
I know, the chain guide will be a little higher (a little less than one mm) than before. But at least now they stay in place, without any movement.
In the next winter I'll know if this will be a good (acceptable) solution.
Anyway, I hope that Yamaha will do a better chain guide, for all of us.
I've seen many others MT-07 with the same problem, some of these with less mileage than mine.

This is my old chain guide: the bottom center plug is symmetric. Do you've tried to press this with the pliers in order to facilitate the insertion in the hole?
post_3401_0_77824800_1482335696.jpg

www.MT-Series.it
Yamaha Official MT-Series Club

Thanks @etorty! I did attempt to squeeze the base of the plug with needle nose pliers to get it to fit, but it didn't work. It's like it isn't up to spec. It's just odd that every other plug took almost no effort to insert.

Archived