The MT-07 Forum

Waterproof storage solutions? Backpack, saddle or tail bags?

JuggernautOfWar

JuggernautOfWar

I am in need of waterproof storage on my FZ-07. I just sold my truck so now my bike is my primary means of commuting, and here in Oregon it's starting to rain most days. Not sure if saddle bags, a backpack, or a tail bag would work best for my needs. Currently my commute consists of 22 miles round trip to school and back mostly in the rain on the highway. I have no way of getting school supplies and my 17.3" MSI laptop to and from school while remaining dry, and this needs to change.

A nice optional feature would be something I can secure to the bike while riding then when I get to class easily detach it from the bike and take the container in to class with me. I'm hesitant to get an expensive backpack since it strains your back while riding and once my degree is finished I'll not really have a need for a backpack, but saddle or tail bags would remain effective.

This is a wishlist I put together showing the two products I'm currently thinking about getting, though I can only get one of the two at this time. http://www.revzilla.com/wish_list/detail/196084

Do you have any recommendations or suggestions for me? The bike is designed to be pretty small and I want to respect that, but I really need something for rainy commutes and day trips.

Below is a picture of how my bike looks. I'm not sure if saddle bags would even work due to the tail tidy eliminating potential tie-down locations.

Z1JB4DS.jpg

2015 Red FZ-07
Yoshimura Works R77 Carbon Fiber Full Exhaust
Puig Dark Smoke Touring Windshield

• Premium Member

I run a pelican backpack (which I've waterproofed) and a Nelson-rigg seat bag that has a rain cover.

Haven't really had to test either yet, but I can fit my 17" laptop, 4 notebooks, about 80ft of Cat5/6, a wireless router, a 8port PoE switch, and the crap that goes with that.

THEN in my seat bag I have a hip pouch with various hand tools, a termination and solder kit, and my shoes for the day.

What I'm getting at, is the Nelson rigg bag is pretty awesome and if I didn't have to carry all that stuff, I would just put my laptop in it.

It's all about keeping that rubber side down.

JuggernautOfWar
I run a Nelson-rigg seat bag that has a rain cover. 
What I'm getting at, is the Nelson rigg bag is pretty awesome and if I didn't have to carry all that stuff, I would just put my laptop in it.
Is the Nelson-Rigg tail bag the same one I linked to in the original post? I'd like to be able to transport my 17.3" laptop completely dry but I'm not sure if it'll fit the expanded interior dimensions of the bag. 
This laptop has the same dimensions as mine.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152548

2015 Red FZ-07

• Premium Member
I run a Nelson-rigg seat bag that has a rain cover. 
Is the Nelson-Rigg tail bag the same one I linked to in the original post? I'd like to be able to transport my 17.3" laptop completely dry but I'm not sure if it'll fit the expanded interior dimensions of the bag. 
This laptop has the same dimensions as mine.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152548
It is the same one, not sure if your computer would fit though.  I'll try to find time to mount the bag tonight and see if I can get my 17" laptop in.  

It's all about keeping that rubber side down.

• Premium Member

The Nelson tail bag is long enough to fit a 2 liter pop/soda pop bottle. ..I can fit 2 of them side by side in the tail bag with the expansion...as for your laptop, I would recommend a backpack style "drybag" and some rain gear for you...the rain cover on the tail bag works okay in light rain, heavy drizzle but in normal rain the water gets under the bag and gets the bottom of tail bag soaking wet...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

JuggernautOfWar
kriega http://www.revzilla.com/kriega. I have the 5,10, and 20L bags used them on a 3000 mile trip bags worked great IMO.
I was eyeing the Kriega US-20 or US-30 to use as tail bags. Have you ever ridden in some serious rain? How do they hold up? Can they be easily detached from the bike at your destination and slung over your shoulder or something?

2015 Red FZ-07

kriega http://www.revzilla.com/kriega. I have the 5,10, and 20L bags used them on a 3000 mile trip bags worked great IMO.
I was eyeing the Kriega US-20 or US-30 to use as tail bags. Have you ever ridden in some serious rain? How do they hold up? Can they be easily detached from the bike at your destination and slung over your shoulder or something?

Yes. To all of it.

I bought the Shad Zulu saddlebags. They are sold as an accessory for the fz07 in Yamaha Canada. They are bigger than I thought they would be. They look very waterproof. Not sure how I'm going to keep them away from the tire yet. I've only got as far as positioning them on the bike. They will be handy as heck for trips considering how much stuff they can hold. If anyone has them chime in on how you attached them please.

The Kriega US-20 is definitely waterproof, and can handle the laptop, but how many school supplies besides that, depends. I think that's the best size for the FZ-07, but you may need the US-30. It can be slung like a messenger bag, but I carry mine in my left hand along with my helmet. What do you do with your helmet?

“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

i use kriega US 30L waterproof, since the bike seats come with those handy dandy holders for it built in, also use a waterproof alpine stars 30L on the back !

JuggernautOfWar
The Kriega US-20 is definitely waterproof, and can handle the laptop, but how many school supplies besides that, depends. I think that's the best size for the FZ-07, but you may need the US-30. It can be slung like a messenger bag, but I carry mine in my left hand along with my helmet. What do you do with your helmet?
Good to know, thanks. Does the US-20 mount by just sliding the straps through the little fabric loops under the passenger seat? I think I may go with the US-20 (as long as it can stretch out to fit my 17.3" huge laptop) since other than my laptop the most I'll need is a notebook and pen at school. Also, I saw a YouTube video of an FZ-07 with the US-30 and it looked a little large for the bike, so I think the US-20 would be better. 
I take my helmet and gloves in to class with me and place them on the desk together. I'd never leave my helmet on my bike without me, especially since the motorcycle parking lot doesn't have a roof so it'd get soaking wet. So the US-20 has different carrying handle options?

2015 Red FZ-07

Be sure and check out the dimensions on peoples suggested tail bags. I found this dry bag made by Kriega, the Kuriga Dry Bag US 30 on amazon but it ain't cheap, it's $281.19.  It's dimensions are 17.4 x 9.3 x 5.2 inches, which should do the job since your lap top isn't an actual 17" in width, it's more like 16 point something.
https://www.amazon.com/Kriega-Kuriga-dry-bag-US30/dp/B00FB6EKPE/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1476022109&sr=8-4-fkmr0&keywords=kriega+r30
For myself I bought this poor mans, multi use bag which I strap down with a bungee net and cords. It will take longer to strap down and take off than a good tail bag but if you'e looking to save money you may like this, it's cheap but very waterproof and it's dimensions are 19.7'' L* 15.8'' W* 0.8'' H. I'm not sure if the height of it will accommodate the lap top and your supplies, you would have to guesstimate that. GL!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y1WGVPQ/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Beemer

Good to know, thanks. Does the US-20 mount by just sliding the straps through the little fabric loops under the passenger seat? I think I may go with the US-20 (as long as it can stretch out to fit my 17.3" huge laptop) since other than my laptop the most I'll need is a notebook and pen at school. Also, I saw a YouTube video of an FZ-07 with the US-30 and it looked a little large for the bike, so I think the US-20 would be better. 
I take my helmet and gloves in to class with me and place them on the desk together. I'd never leave my helmet on my bike without me, especially since the motorcycle parking lot doesn't have a roof so it'd get soaking wet. So the US-20 has different carrying handle options?
Hate to say this but I just looked at the dimensions for the US 20 and it isn't big enough for a 17" laptop. It's dimensions are (H)15.7 x (W)10.2 x (D)7.5 inches. People must be just eye balling it. I'm sure it appears large enough.

Beemer

I just checked, and if the 17" laptop is 17" long, it can't fold up the opening enough to clasp. It swallows up my 15" very Dell easily, so I figured a 17" could squeeze in. Sounds like the US-30 the best bet. The US-20 fits perfectly with the seat straps. The US-30 should be similar, and it would be a good base for adding other Kriega bags if needed in the future. It's a well thought out system.

I've never worn a backpack or messenger bag, so I find them uncomfortable. That's why I loop my left hand through the helmet strap and grab the bag's closing straps to lug it around. I figure if you have one hand tied up with the helmet, there's no loss in handiness, carrying the bag in that hand as well.

“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

If you want the ultimate waterproof bag, roll-seal kayak/canoe bags are fantastic. They strap on the back easily. Don't flop into the rear wheel like soft saddle bags. Are COMPLETELY waterproof.
I used one with my Givi hard cases for the big trip to Phillip Island a couple of years ago. Rained almost all the way down. Had my 17" MSI gaming laptop in it. When it is off the bike and unrolled it it  big enough for my helmet OR jacket ( not both but that would have to be gigantic) ad well as other stuff.
They come is a whole heap of sizes. You could make a rear carry rack that clips into the pillion seat to strap it to.
Here is a loaded pic. It is the blue on on the back. easy to use . Easy to carry , though not as easy as a good backpack.
DSCN0655.jpg

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived