w1ngzer0

Solid vs Graphic Helmets

To each is own! I'm all about matching. Blame my design sense.

I initially was all about color coordinating all my gear to match my bike... Now that I'm on my third bike, nothing matches!

So I've learned to be more subtle on my design choices so I'm not tethered to any particular colors.. cus gears expensive!

NOTE: Hi-viz and White do attact more attention to me when I see others with it.

I prefer single bright colours . Having ridden the vast majority of my life in the tropics that colour is white. Anything else gets VERY hot.
Fit is more important. If a helmet that I liked had graphics on it, and they weren't monsters, claws, skulls, guns, knives or any other adolescent graphic fare, I would be fine with it. My last racing helmet was a Xlite Casey Stoner orange, blue, white and black piece that was striking but not childish . And not I didn't buy it because it was a Casey replica, but because it fitted my glasses really well, unlike most helmets, and I could see out of the top of the visor when in race position, unlike most helmets. As we don't race in summer, and half the meet is under lights, the colour wasn't as big an issue.

My wife and I both have the solid wine red Shoei Neotec, up close and personal its a very stunning colour with a fine metallic base. Love the solids although I do enjoy adding my own reflective designs.
I picked up a "Ronan" tape slitter and some 1-inch x 30' rolls of 3m reflective tape. Fun, versatile stuff and a very cost effective route for wheels, the bike, random gear, yo mamma etc.

3m tape and champagne for everyone !!!

Generally my philosophy is use your helmet to be seen. Hi-Viz is nice but having a graphic on the helmit can cause people to say "What's that?" so my helmets were in order:
Icon Airmada Colossal (Sepia):
icon14-airmada-colossal-helmet-5_14.jpg

Icon Airmada Volare (White):
icon-airmada-volare-helmet-white-1.jpg

Current:
Icon Alliance Primary (Hi-Viz):
icon_alliance_gt_primary_helmet_hi_viz_zoom.jpg
(Because I couldn't find anywhere that had an Icon Alliance GT Watchkeeper in large)

The colossal is the only one I received a complement on from a cager. I think any helmet is fine and pick what you like but I prefer graphic helmets. I prefer Icons graphics the best but I'm not a big fan of Sculls/demons. @botticelli the helmet that you wear was one of the designs I was looking at against the Alliance GT but I wanted the internal sun visor.

One can buy the simple and less expensive solid-color version of a helmet (to me screams “cheap”) OR spend extra for the additional artistry and craftsmanship of a more expensive graphic version (choosing colors and graphics to suit ones taste). I never bought a solid helmet and didn’t quickly regret owning “the cheap version”.

It seems like the trend I've seen is people think "oh, I don't care, I just want a matte black one" and after they have it for a bit and realize everyone else has a matte black helmet, they want a graphic or something more unique.  I have a small riding circle and the majority of us have done this. I just prefer ridiculous looking helmets these days.  Want a new one, but I can't justify upgrading a 2-year old lid.  It's funny people mention their significant others preferring plain because my wife thinks she just wants a black one again.  Not on my watch.