The MT-07 Forum

Solid vs Graphic Helmets

w1ngzer0

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

Generally my philosophy is use your helmet to be seen. Hi-Viz is nice but having a graphic on the helmit can cause people to say "What's that?" so my helmets were in order:
Icon Airmada Colossal (Sepia):
icon14-airmada-colossal-helmet-5_14.jpg

Icon Airmada Volare (White):
icon-airmada-volare-helmet-white-1.jpg

Current:
Icon Alliance Primary (Hi-Viz):
icon_alliance_gt_primary_helmet_hi_viz_zoom.jpg
(Because I couldn't find anywhere that had an Icon Alliance GT Watchkeeper in large)

The colossal is the only one I received a complement on from a cager. I think any helmet is fine and pick what you like but I prefer graphic helmets. I prefer Icons graphics the best but I'm not a big fan of Sculls/demons. @botticelli the helmet that you wear was one of the designs I was looking at against the Alliance GT but I wanted the internal sun visor.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

• Premium Member

The blue icon screen is tinted enough that it does the job in the cali sun and is easily worn at night. It cuts out all of the glare and look top notch with the helmet IMO.

@snowdriftless

Not me but its my helmet and screen combo.

13725591_650683595079018_1603872272_n.jpg

free photo uploading sites

'16 FZ07

• 1 year later...

One can buy the simple and less expensive solid-color version of a helmet (to me screams “cheap”) OR spend extra for the additional artistry and craftsmanship of a more expensive graphic version (choosing colors and graphics to suit ones taste). I never bought a solid helmet and didn’t quickly regret owning “the cheap version”.

I was tortured by the Japanese during the war, Jack. Not a pretty story. Strange thing is they make such bloody good cameras.

It seems like the trend I've seen is people think "oh, I don't care, I just want a matte black one" and after they have it for a bit and realize everyone else has a matte black helmet, they want a graphic or something more unique.  I have a small riding circle and the majority of us have done this. I just prefer ridiculous looking helmets these days.  Want a new one, but I can't justify upgrading a 2-year old lid.  It's funny people mention their significant others preferring plain because my wife thinks she just wants a black one again.  Not on my watch.

• Premium Member

I'm not one to like being flashy/busy. Not in my clothes, my vehicles, my home décor, or riding attire. 99% of my shirts are solid color. 

What everyone else is doing has never been a concern of mine.

I've been more than happy with the matte black finish of my RF1200 for over a year.

So you be you and I'll be me. And we'll all just get along. 😀✌️

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Liquidmetal

I like graphics.  Nothing too over the top, just something on the simple side.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

I do both. I'll tell you though, this helmet gets TONS of attention = I get noticed.

Goal achieved! 👍👍👍

FB_IMG_1532039353489.jpg

Let's just take a vote on which type of helmet is "most popular" and let's be PC about this and let "the minority" win, to spare them their hurt feelings.

Beemer

• Premium Member
55 minutes ago, Beemer said:

Let's just take a vote on which type of helmet is "most popular" and let's be PC about this and let "the minority" win, to spare them their hurt feelings.

I'm offended by that!

😉

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

It's been atleast 10 years since I've had anything but a black helmet for downhill mountain biking or motorcycles (I've never actually had anything but a black motorcycle helmet). Well that changed today after I received my discounted Shoei GT Air Pendulum helmet. It even stupidly matches the bike perfectly. It's so ridiculous. I kinda like it?!?!?

IMG_0928.JPG

IMG_0930.JPG

IMG_0926.JPG

Instagram: @jayparrington 

3 hours ago, DewMan said:

I'm offended by that!

😉

You caught the double intende. You can work on my bike any time. 🍻 ✌️

Beemer

23 hours ago, kbob2000 said:

It seems like the trend I've seen is people think "oh, I don't care, I just want a matte black one" and after they have it for a bit and realize everyone else has a matte black helmet, they want a graphic or something more unique.  I have a small riding circle and the majority of us have done this. I just prefer ridiculous looking helmets these days.  Want a new one, but I can't justify upgrading a 2-year old lid.  It's funny people mention their significant others preferring plain because my wife thinks she just wants a black one again.  Not on my watch.

Ah, the crazy world of helmet graphics...^^^That's exactly what I did years ago. Rubberized matte lack because I wasn't a flashy person and figured it'd hid scratches better. Surprise, rubberized matte black is actually a bit delicate. Nowadays, I typically "choose" my graphics depending on what's leftover in the closeout sales. I'm finding that I actually enjoy the wild graphics and funky colors. f@#k it! Life it short! Enjoy the funkyness!

The Scorpion I no longer own, but here's the last three graphics I ended up with. You can have more fun with this stuff than you think. Don't be afraid to be a peacock :D Variety truly is the spice of life. And it gives you something to look back at in 10 years and laugh at you and your buddys. " WTF what were we thinking?!" 

Fly F2 Carbon - Animal..... $330 lid bought for $160 because nobody wanted this graphic. 

X004.jpg

AGV K5-S-  Fireace..... $450 closeout graphic bought for $225- Superb helmet. My favorite to date

agvk5_s_firerace_helmet_black_red_750x75

Scorpion ADX - Anime ... bought second hand simply because I thought it was beautiful. Pictures don't show that the white is actually a metallic pearl. Got lots of compliments on that lid. 

scorpion_adx1biancorosso.jpg

1 hour ago, JayMT07 said:

...that changed today after I received my discounted Shoei GT Air Pendulum helmet. It even stupidly matches the bike perfectly.

From Chromeburner.com?  $436 is a good price and that colorway looks awesome with your bike, man.  I just bought a new Shoei GT Air this week myself ($429, mfg'd in Jan 2018).

I like what Yamaha did with the MT07 for 2018. I wish for the love of god they could have changed the turn-signal design but that's easy enough to take care of with an updated turn-signal relay and any generic (smaller) turn-signals. For instance:

Speedmetal Short Stalk Turn Signals ($11.99/pr, 3-wire fronts/2-wire rears)

https://www.cyclegear.com/parts/speedmetal-short-stalk-turn-signals

LUYED 2-Pin LED Electronic Flasher Relay ($9.99)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KZI7UAO

Yosoo 2 Pin 12V Auto motorcycle LED Turn Indicator Light Flasher Relay ($9.99)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CJ5SVXQ

iJDMTOY (1) 2-Pin Electronic LED Flasher Relay ($10.99)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RM26LXO

Also, you can replace generic bullet connector wire ends with these OEM-style connectors so there is no hacking up your new bike's wiring:

3-pin Nippon Tanshi .040 Female Turn Signal Connector (4x $2.25 plus $3.98 shipping)

- 2x Item# NT040-3 Blk Female

- 2x Item# NT040-3 Gray Female

http://www.cycleterminal.com/nt040-yamaha.html

Note that you could use 4x gray connectors (color for left side) or 4x black ones (color for right side) or 2x of each color for left/right like stock. They call it a "female" connector because the three INTERIOR connectors are female even though they combine together into what looks like a "male" connector. These connectors fit into the female sockets on your bike where there are male pins INSIDE. That's a little confusing.

FZ07_turn_signals_rear-crop.jpg

I was tortured by the Japanese during the war, Jack. Not a pretty story. Strange thing is they make such bloody good cameras.

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
22 hours ago, mick97702 said:

I do both. I'll tell you though, this helmet gets TONS of attention = I get noticed.

Goal achieved! 👍👍👍

FB_IMG_1532039353489.jpg

I want one in blue like Elmo! 😜

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

3 minutes ago, bornagainbiker said:

I want one in blue like Elmo! 😜

Dood - Elmo is Red.  Cookie Monster is Blue. I mean, cough, that's what I 've heard.

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
11 minutes ago, motorazr said:

Dood - Elmo is Red.  Cookie Monster is Blue. I mean, cough, that's what I 've heard.

You're right--what was I thinking--must have had a senior moment.  Cookie Monster is my hero.  I meant, I want blue like Cookie Monster! 

cookie-monster.gif.7da403f52eb9d3e50183a22bae9f234b.gif

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

@motorazr - it was through a somewhat local shop here in Cold America. Basically the same price though. 

I agree, the turn signals are bright and large. After the tail tidy and some Nightshade, I don't mind them nearly as much. 

Instagram: @jayparrington 

Liquidmetal
16 hours ago, JayMT07 said:

I agree, the turn signals are bright and large. After the tail tidy and some Nightshade, I don't mind them nearly as much. 

I saw the pics you posted of your Nightshade treatment to the OEM turn signals and I like the results.  Gonna go with that on my bike as well. 

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Back to the original question about plain or graphics; I don't care, I buy the cheapest version of a helmet I want. Often, graphics that was modern last year and out of fashion this year make them the cheapest option, so I buy that since I do not care how I look - I cannot possibly become any uglier.

sawlidz givx you booger HP, the grfical is for pusses

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Global Moderator
16 minutes ago, r1limited said:

sawlidz givx you booger HP, the grfical is for pusses

Put down the vodka and back away from the keyboard :)  :)

The two things that I look at for helmets are protection (ece rating) and how quiet they are. 

With that in mind, the Schuberth S2 is the quietest helmet I have ever worn, is super comfortable and is ECE rated. 

Check this out for more ECE rated helmets 

Archived