The MT-07 Forum

Highway riding with the fz-07

teebrunz

The fz-07 is my first bike and I've mostly enjoyed it so far. I purchased it in May and have put 2300 miles on it. I live in an urban area and have a blast riding it through city streets with my m4 exhaust. However for me to meet up with friends and ride on some open and twisty roads I have to hop on highways where most cars are cruising at 80mph. This is where I do not enjoy the bike at all. The suspension feels horrible when hitting bumps in the road and the steering feels very light and unstable. Not sure how much of all of this has to do with me being a new rider. I also crave more wind protection from the bike but hate the look of all the windscreens available that will actually provide any protection. Just wondering how much highway riding you guys do and if you experience the same. I feel like I'm on a scooter when I'm doing 80 trying to keep up with the flow of traffic and a supersport goes blowing by me

topazsparrow

The FZ is fine on the highway. It's only fine though - It's not comfortable or overly fast. You're on the wrong bike if most of your riding is 70+ MPH.

I'm okay with this fact as the bike is a total blast below 70 MPH. That's where it's at home and that's where the fun is. You gotta buy the right bike for the type of riding you do most.

• Global Moderator

Oddly enough I find the bike a lot better at freeway speeds after the ECU flash. I assume it is because it is running smoother that it feels more planted. There is still a lot of wind and it is not its forte, but that is to be expected from a naked bike.

• Premium Member

Rode mine as a daily 130 mile round trip 80 mph no issue for me.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

I agree with topazsparrow.

I wished I could travel 80 mph without worry of consequences from the po po. Then I would be riding a new 1000. Maybe a ninja or the new Suzuki gsxs f.

You may not like the looks of available windscreens but they do make a difference at high speeds.

Hard riding brings out the worst in the 07 suspension. It is manageable. These are bargain priced bikes. With that said, I have rode with supersports and the 07 holds its own damn well.

• Premium Member

Have you adjusted the suspension to your weight? It makes a world of difference on how the ride feels.

I too understand where you're coming from. I have a Puig sport screen for the sole purpose to protect my keys and the keychain garage door opener I had. It doesn't really offer much protection when riding 70+ MPH. I'd take it off now that I don't have a garage, but my wife pretty much took ownership of the bike and likes it.

But it could just be you and your body getting used to being in the wind! This bike is upright, so you'll feel it more than on a supersport.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member

Suspension upgrades like matts fork kit and a basic aftermarket rear shock will have a night and day diffrence when riding on freeway...the bike will not dance in the wind easily  or get pushed by semi truck "air walls" as eas. ..the stock suspension is really my only complaint about the bike that I wished yamaha would take notice of to really improve the basic fz-07...took me a few weeks to get fully comfortable riding at highway speeds for extended periods of time and it helps to not wear loose or baggy fitting gear...I mainly travel on 55 mph back/side roads to places I need to go, much more enjoyable with curves the odd 4 way stop than go sit a ride in a straight line on the freeway,  I rarely spend more than a 90 min ride on the freeway once or twice a month...on a daily basis it's a quick 10min ride across the city then back onto bsck/side roads...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Thanks for responses guys. Bottom line is I live in a crappy place to own a bike. I love it when I'm boppin around town but once I get on the jersey turnpike to meet up with friends I wish I had a full fairinged bike with more top end. Can't have the best of both worlds I guess. Once I outgrow this bike I have my sights set on a triumph 675r. The fz-07 was definetly a great bang for the buck starter bike and I'm sure as I keep riding I'll feel more confident on the highway

I live in NJ too, but the part that is over an hour from the parkway and has more one lane twisty roads than it does street lights.  The FZ would be perfect out here.  Low end torque to ride from curve to curve.  No real need to speed.  If you are riding that fast all the time, maybe it would be worth your while to take surface roads.

• Premium Member

I commute ~80miles/day all highway, most of it being a highway with a speed limit of 70. I honestly think the bike does really well for its weight and being a naked bike.

I find that if I tuck a little and rest my left elbow on my left knee (which saves my back), the bike feels solid. It feels better next to a semi than my wife's corolla does.

I will add that I'm 5'7" and 140lbs and have set the preload to match my weight when I'm riding for fun and with my gear, tools, and backpack for my daily commute I change the setting to account for the extra 30-40lbs.

Look into adjusting the preload, it might be your issue. Also, if you don't have them, get some tank grips -- they made a huge difference for how the wind affected me on the bike, I'm much more "glued" to it now.

It's all about keeping that rubber side down.

JuggernautOfWar

I have the Puig Touring dark tinted windshield and it helps TREMENDOUSLY when commuting daily on the highway.

Z1JB4DS.jpg

2015 Red FZ-07
Yoshimura Works R77 Carbon Fiber Full Exhaust
Puig Dark Smoke Touring Windshield

I find it hard to believe you don't hit 80 mph. on any open roads??? Maybe the FZ-07 is too much for this 1st time rider???

Beemer

The fz-07 is my first bike and I've mostly enjoyed it so far. I purchased it in May and have put 2300 miles on it. I live in an urban area and have a blast riding it through city streets with my m4 exhaust. However for me to meet up with friends and ride on some open and twisty roads I have to hop on highways where most cars are cruising at 80mph. This is where I do not enjoy the bike at all. The suspension feels horrible when hitting bumps in the road and the steering feels very light and unstable. Not sure how much of all of this has to do with me being a new rider. I also crave more wind protection from the bike but hate the look of all the windscreens available that will actually provide any protection. Just wondering how much highway riding you guys do and if you experience the same. I feel like I'm on a scooter when I'm doing 80 trying to keep up with the flow of traffic and a supersport goes blowing by me
You're on a naked bike.  GET USED TO IT. :D

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

You're on a naked bike.  GET USED TO IT. :D
Drops mic.

I find it hard to believe you don't hit 80 mph. on any open roads??? Maybe the FZ-07 is too much for this 1st time rider???

When did I say I can't hit 80mph? I just said it feels sketchy due to the suspension, light steering, and quality of the highways around me. On roads that I know are smooth I'll hit 100 no problem. It's just holding high speeds in traffic for 10+ miles at a time I don't enjoy.

I commute ~80miles/day all highway, most of it being a highway with a speed limit of 70. I honestly think the bike does really well for its weight and being a naked bike.  
I find that if I tuck a little and rest my left elbow on my left knee (which saves my back), the bike feels solid. It feels better next to a semi than my wife's corolla does.

I will add that I'm 5'7" and 140lbs and have set the preload to match my weight when I'm riding for fun and with my gear, tools, and backpack for my daily commute I change the setting to account for the extra 30-40lbs.

Look into adjusting the preload, it might be your issue. Also, if you don't have them, get some tank grips -- they made a huge difference for how the wind affected me on the bike, I'm much more "glued" to it now.

Thanks for the pointers. I'll def look into tank grips. I bumped the rear shock from the 3rd or 4th notch up to the 7th I believe which made it feel better. Idk i should prob look into that adjustment more, I weigh 170 lbs

• Premium Member

I felt the same way you do when I got my fz. I think it is just a matter of getting used to a naked bike. I now totally enjoy and look forward to high hiway speeds and enjoy the wind in my face feeling.

When did I say I can't hit 80mph? I just said it feels sketchy due to the suspension, light steering, and quality of the highways around me. On roads that I know are smooth I'll hit 100 no problem. It's just holding high speeds in traffic for 10+ miles at a time I don't enjoy.
It's all in how you word it my friend. "However for me to meet up with friends and ride on some open and twisty roads I have to hop on highways where most cars are cruising at 80mph. This is where I do not enjoy the bike at all."

From what you said before it looked like you were implying you didn't 'LIKE' riding at 80 mph. anywhere. Didn't mean to offend you.

Beemer

Sounds like bike is not stable due to poor suspension
While adding more preload may help a little, the damping in the shock and forks are way too soft and lack control, depending on your weight, $500 could fix front and back. Ask me how

Get a different bike if you ride those speeds regularly. I did a tour on this bike and did 80mph+ for quite a bit on highways. Did not feel confident at all with the stability. I've already induced a head wobble once going 60mph hitting a bump while merging left. Some folks are having the same issue with the FJ-09 too.

It was a great for the urban stop and go rides but not for those fast rides.

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

On my way to work I average between 75-95 MPH for most of 40 miles. The other ten is below that. This bike doesn't have any issues with the freeway speed. It only sucks if you're trying to keep up with a Super Sport past 100 MPH.

SigSide.jpg

On my way to work I average between 75-95 MPH for most of 40 miles. The other ten is below that. This bike doesn't have any issues with the freeway speed. It only sucks if you're trying to keep up with a Super Sport past 100 MPH.

You also modified your ride to be better for high speeds with the clip ons and rearsets.

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
You also modified your ride to be better for high speeds with the clip ons and rearsets.
I had the same commute before the mods.
Also, those mods are more beneficial for maneuvering the bike. They don't impact how suitable the bike is for 80 MPHish characteristics unless you like to hangout in the tucked position for whatever reason.

SigSide.jpg

Sure, but did you do the mods in part because of it?

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
Sure, but did you do the mods in part because of it?
I did the mods because I was hit by a lane changer. My bikes handle bar and rear sets needed to be replaced.

SigSide.jpg

Archived