The MT-07 Forum

Slight oil overfill, should I bother?

bugeyes

After service the oil level is just above the window as the workshop seem to have overfilled a bit. Should I try to suck some out or can I just let it be until it burns off?

• Premium Member

Define slight over fill?? Like when bike is running and oil lvl never drops in sight glass? If so that's a bit over 3.25qt of oil if it just a hair over the top f sight glass when engine is running( way to much in my book, had this happen a few days ago, drained out 3.5qts!, when I had my fz-07 get a full check up, dealership gave me free gal jug of oil and KN oil filter for next I change my oil and 20% off labor for next job)...If you have a clean oil pan and clean funnel you can dump it out and 'repour proper amount back in...I use a 1 litter pop/soda pop bottle to measure out 1qt- I fill the bottle to where it would look like a fresh pop/soda waiting to be opened...I personally don't worry if the oil level is just a bit over the top line or just under the top of the window after I shut the bike off and wait about 60secs...a oil change and new oil filter only needs barely 2.75qts of oil to fill the bike or barely 2.5qts for just an oil change...

Why are you saying wait till it burns off???

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

The level is just above the glass, visible if I tilt the bike very slightly the other way.
Guess I might as well dump a little, probably can such it out the way it came in as I have a device for that.
By burns off I mean until it drops a bit by normal oil consumption. I don't know though if this bike uses up any oil or not, my last bike did and needed a top up between regular services.

• Premium Member

If it's just over the sight glass when the bike is not running and its been sitting for a bit, I personally wouldn't worry as I have slightly over filled a few times myself just over the window... I use a chunk of 2x4 under the kick stand to help level the bike out when doing oil changes to check the fill level...in my experience it's best to do oil changes yourself if your really picky about that cause a couple of the times I get my bikes back from big services with too much oil for my taste...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I would do all service myself if it wasn't for the warranty.
Had a friend sit on the bike to check the level and it's just over the window when straight up and level. I probably will take out a little anyway to be on the safe side but I will not change the oil yet as it's brand new. Will change just before winter hibernation that is sadly closing in, was a brisk ride to work today.

The manual calls for 2.75 quarts with new filter. My last change with filter I put 2.50 in mine and it was still over the full level marks in the window and the window itself. That's also how it came from the dealership I bought it from and the bike runs fine. If you know you drained it well and measured correctly don't worry about what the window says. Apparently it's not accurate so I wouldn't drain a drop.

Beemer

Well then, as it's the dealership that changed the oil they hopefully know what they do :)

Well then, as it's the dealership that changed the oil they hopefully know what they do :)
I think it's safe to say their "Certified " mechanics can at least do that much right. (jk) There's been so much talk about not taking your bike to dealerships because the mechanics, etc, are so inept.

Beemer

• Global Moderator
I would do all service myself if it wasn't for the warranty. Had a friend sit on the bike to check the level and it's just over the window when straight up and level. I probably will take out a little anyway to be on the safe side but I will not change the oil yet as it's brand new. Will change just before winter hibernation that is sadly closing in, was a brisk ride to work today.
Doing the service yourself will not void the warranty.  As long as you have the receipts to show you did it they cannot deny a warranty claim.  It is actually not even required that you do that, but it may make it easier if you have a claim. 

AlbatrossCafe

Even trying to drain just a small bit of oil is a pain in the ass. You will make a mess. I would just leave it. If you can still see it when you tip the bike that means it can't be that full.

Don't worry about it.
I do this almost every oil change. No matter how careful I am the level ends up at the top of the window are slightly above. Better to have a bit more oil in for those sustained wheelies anyways ... ha ha.

A quart over full would be cause for concern.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank's guy's, I just left it there and it's just above the edge.
Over here I have a 5 year warranty, first 2 years are factory warranty and the remaining 3 is dealership. I can not void the first 2 years as long as I service it somewhere or myself, but the next 3 is different and valid only if i service it there at least once a year or 10000 km.
I will see how long I take it in for service, not due until summer anyway.

Archived