Sign in to follow this  
AlbatrossCafe

Blown Signal 10A fuse 4 times! [SOLVED]

AlbatrossCafe
My HORN and BRAKE LIGHT (both rear running light and brake) are both not working. I check the fuse box and the "Signal" 10 amp fuse is blown ([HASH]1).

Weird, I thought, because all of my signals and my flashers still work. I put in a replacement fuse and turn on ignition thinking it might have been water or something. Just turning the key blows the fuse ([HASH]2).

"****", I thought next. I unplug the brake light and both rear turn signals, thinking if one of these things got messed up during my fender eliminator swap 2 days ago and is shorting out. I turn on the key, and the fuse blows again ([HASH]3).

Since I had 4 more fuses, I unplug the "Ignition" fuse and turn the key again thinking it was something with the ignition system. I turn the key, and there goes another ([HASH]4).

Now I am down to 3 fuses and getting worried. To Summarize:
[ol type=decimal][*]Horn, brake light, and running rear taillight are out[*]The "Signal" 10A fuse is blown[*]ALL of my signals and flashers still work[*]The bike still turns on and runs fine[*]My headlight (hi-beam and low beam) still works.[*]2 days ago I swapped my fender eliminator for a different one (but didn't swap out any lights, just unplugged & re-plugged them)[/ol]
So what could it be? What is shorting? What else can I check? I am stumped!

SOLVED: My license plate light positive/negative wire ends were touching. Separating them did the trick.

• Like 1

USMCFieldMP
You most likely have a wire grounding out on the bike somewhere. Anything electrical that you messed with on recent installs need to be reviewed carefully. Check all tight corners where things might rub, get pinched, etc. If you did any wiring yourself, that all needs to be carefully reviewed too.

AlbatrossCafe
FIGURED IT OUT.

My license plate lights previously were hooked up, but the bulb was out. When I swapped out fender eliminators, I just wrapped up the ends of the license plate light together (positive touching negative). This was causing it to blow.

I separated them out and everything works again. It is always a stupid/simple solution to these kinds of things...

USMCFieldMP
What isn't working with the fuse blown/removed?

USMCFieldMP
You gotta keep 'em separated...
  • Like 1

mjh937
I was expecting with as much work as you had done on the headlight it was going to be something there. I did not expect it would be the other end of the bike. Glad you found the problem though.
  • Like 1