The MT-07 Forum

Buy an FZ 07 now?

ngk973

I can get a really good deal on a raven black 2016 fz07.  I live in NJ where there is still about 1.5 months of riding left in the season and really want this bike.

But........I really am hoping that they will put out an update with ride by wire/ABS or with that new display.  Even as a "R" spec.  

The options are;

buy it now and ride the wheels off it until it snows

or

wait till next March and probably pay full price out the door.

AlbatrossCafe

You forgot the option - wait till March and buy a 2016. It will be an "old" bike at that point with the 2017's out. I'd be willing to say you can still get the same good deal, and this way you can see if the 2017 has any of those features that you want.

• Global Moderator

I would wait for the 2017 to be announced. They just updated the FZ-09, so if they do the FZ-07 too that might help with a better price on the 2016. If you can wait until it snows that should also help you get a good deal.

There are also 15's left! Yamaha site has an inventory search.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

• Global Moderator

My guess is there will be a redesigned FZ-07 next year as the FZ-09 was released a year before the FZ-07 so it makes sense that it would get a redesign a year earlier. I have been wrong about things before (only once though).

The 2016 has been around their store for some time.  Like I said, the problem would be that if I wait till EiCMA, then I really can't ride it.  I will have to pay the insurance cost through the winter just to store it.  I would like an update to include that new display and maybe ride by wire.  Clearly that would change the price point slightly but I think it would be worth it.  If they were going to update, won't they have done it today though?

• Premium Member

Its cheap to swap color panels on the fz-07... You can buy an older model far cheaper and still swap plastics and save some decent coin compared to buying a brand new model...if anything I see Yamaha changing out fork and rear shock springs to provide better suspension and maybe doing some ECU tweaking and new colors...I suspect the FJ version of the FZ-07 will be the better of the 2 just like the FJ-09 fixed a lot of the FZ-09 flaws...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

You forgot the option - wait till March and buy a 2016. It will be an "old" bike at that point with the 2017's out. I'd be willing to say you can still get the same good deal, and this way you can see if the 2017 has any of those features that you want.
I agree ^ and one more thing ... if you get it now the wait to ride it again will be torturous. You'll be flip flopping around like a fish in bed thinking about riding it. You'll become delusional, get cold sweats and fever. You'll bark at the moon and the wife will take the kids and leave. Ha! I suggest you wait till next year.  ;)

Beemer

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
I'm in NJ and thinking of selling. She's white with blurple wheels 5k miles. Pm me
Did you even ride it? Lol jk.

SigSide.jpg

I'm in NJ and thinking of selling. She's white with blurple wheels 5k miles. Pm me

Had it for 6 months put around 650 miles a month. Only ride on the weekends, just had a baby...

Bought a fz09 that needs some work.

Once the throttle is cracked on, it is rolled on evenly, smoothly, and consistently throughout the remainder of the turn.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1738084489772201/

Had it for 6 months put around 650 miles a month. Only ride on the weekends, just had a baby...

Bought a fz09 that needs some work.
Well, in that case .... 

[attachment id=2373" thumbnail="1]

Beemer

• Premium Member

Just buy it, ride it NOW and get of with life!!!

Coulda/woulda/shoulda... who knows what will happen next with any model--and as for ride-by-wire, there is NOTHING wrong with the 07's cable throttle; virtually every reviewer agrees. Everything newer/more electronic is NOT always better. Ask Mercedes how their brake-by-wire system worked, hehehehe!!!

AlbatrossCafe
and as for ride-by-wire, there is NOTHING wrong with the 07's cable throttle; virtually every reviewer agrees. Everything newer/more electronic is NOT always better. Ask Mercedes how their brake-by-wire system worked, hehehehe!!!
True, I do love the simplicity of the FZ. Having a real turn signal relay (as opposed to it being controlled by some "Body control module"),  cable throttle, cable clutch (not hydraulic) - it makes things really easy to work on and they still all function great. 
On second thought, get the FZ now it is "modernized" and ruined!

• 3 weeks later...

I started asking same question to myself. I can get a brand-new MT-07 now or wait for 2017. I made a pros/cons list for buying a MT-07 now.

Getting a MT-07 now:

[ol type=decimal][*]I can start having unlimited fun right now.
[*]It is getting cold in here, the city I live isn't getting much rain or snow but you can feel cold in your nerves (some people says riding in cold is more comfortable than riding in heat but IDK.)
[*]It is still cheap. My last chance to get a non-abs MT-07. I am not a very experienced rider (only riding for few months) but I don't think ABS is really necessary. And ABS model is $1500 more expensive for some reason in the country I live.
[*]Tons of after market accessories available for MT-07 now and I am not sure they will be compatible with 2017 MT-07 (unless MT-07 gets a huge update which is highly unlikely).
[/ol]
Waiting for 2017 MT-07:

[ol type=decimal][*]I have to wait until March 2017 before getting any fun.
[*] Weather will be awesome if I wait for March 2017.
[*] I am 100% sure Yamaha will bump price tag and ABS is standard for 2017. I have to pay extra $2000 for 2017 and it's too much for my budget.
[*] Model year will look 1 year old even if I purchase in November/December. People in here only cares about production year when they are buying a bike from someone.[/ol]
So what do you think, should I wait or go buy now?

Sorry for my English

• Premium Member

If you don't want to wait and find out you gotta pay more due to ABS only models, you can easily swap the 7 pieces of colored plastics to the color you want for about $300 (im guessing on price, but I know it's cheap)...
there is no diffrence in the bikes production years from day 1 except color changes...ppl may swap color panels with you for just the cost of shipping...

I also know if history repeats it's self like when Yamaha released the FJ-09, they fixed a lot of the FZ-09 flaws and made the -09 platform even better, so I'm putting stock in the fact the FJ-07 will be the better bike over the FZ-07...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

AlbatrossCafe
I started asking same question to myself. I can get a brand-new MT-07 now or wait for 2017. I made a pros/cons list for buying a MT-07 now. 
Getting a MT-07 now:

[ol type=decimal][*]I can start having unlimited fun right now.
[*]It is getting cold in here, the city I live isn't getting much rain or snow but you can feel cold in your nerves (some people says riding in cold is more comfortable than riding in heat but IDK.)
[*]It is still cheap. My last chance to get a non-abs MT-07. I am not a very experienced rider (only riding for few months) but I don't think ABS is really necessary. And ABS model is $1500 more expensive for some reason in the country I live.
[*]Tons of after market accessories available for MT-07 now and I am not sure they will be compatible with 2017 MT-07 (unless MT-07 gets a huge update which is highly unlikely).
[/ol]
Waiting for 2017 MT-07:

[ol type=decimal][*]I have to wait until March 2017 before getting any fun.
[*] Weather will be awesome if I wait for March 2017.
[*] I am 100% sure Yamaha will bump price tag and ABS is standard for 2017. I have to pay extra $2000 for 2017 and it's too much for my budget.
[*] Model year will look 1 year old even if I purchase in November/December. People in here only cares about production year when they are buying a bike from someone.[/ol]
So what do you think, should I wait or go buy now?

FYI the 2017 was already revealed. It is going to be same design as the 2015/2016 but with different colors and one color has the option of ABS. The cost of the base model is increasing by about $300 for some reason. Aftermarket parts for the 15/16 will almost definitely work for the 17. Just get one now, save the money, and have fun! Unless you really want ABS

Archived