The MT-07 Forum

Helmet Communicators

w1ngzer0

Yep. Clamp kit is dope. I used the wired mic because there was barely no room at the chin bar. Used that also for the XD4. Took a phone call at 80mph and didn't have any problems communicating.

[span style=font-size:12pt] :o  [/span]

Communication is key in a group or 2up environment. Plus, nothing like listening to Sinatra while blasting through corners.?

Nope. Rode today this morning near the beach. On Shore Drive having a full conversation with Mom. Talked for like 20 mins going 80 and windy as anything. She said asked, "Have I left home yet?" I told her I'm riding and ask if she can hear any outside interference (exhaust, wind, outside traffic...answer was no. I could hear her clearly and the key to it is, IMO, speaker and mic placement. Keep this in mind, SC Project High Mount slip on has no db killer...and the volume on the Sena was a little below half.

Am I the only one who has had issues with Sena brand?

So I bought a dual pack 10R some 2 years ago, one of them has static issues. Just continually has an overlay of static. It happened a few months after ownership, not sure if the warranty was 90 days or a year, but regardless it is already past warranty by this point.

I also bought spare speakers for my other helmet (well, spare speakers, battery, mic, everything except control unit) so I can just remove the control unit from one helmet and attach it to the other. I didn't realize until later when I actually used it that the spare speakers are not working properly. It is muffled- very difficult to hear the voice due to the muffling. I switched speakers just to make sure it wasn't me and sure enough, the original speakers sound fine. So I bought another spare speaker to replace the busted spare speakers which I tossed in the garbage (seriously it isn't worth my time trying to get it replaced- my time is worth well over 100 dollars an hour hahah).

So for me, its 50% chance that Sena is giving me a crappy product. This just for me? Probably, huh?

Anyways, my next com purchase will be a Scala based on my 50% failure rate with Sena.  That's right buddies, you can just call me @chicagoaj when it comes to Sena!  lol!  Just kidding AJ, just kidding. :D

It freely velcros to the velvet liner recess of the ear area, almost like it was intentionally designed to take speakers. There is nothing covering the speakers, just my naked ear hovering a few cm away from the speakers.

But as I said, it is just the speaker itself as I tested it by holding it against my ear outside of the helmet and it was horrendously garbled, then I used my original speaker and it was crystal clear (minus the continual static overlay of my POS Sena unit) To be fair, I'm sure the garbage-garbled speaker would be slightly more clear if it wasn't for the static overlay... BAHAHAHAHAHA! GG, Sena.

Guest ChicagoAJ
Am I the only one who has had issues with Sena brand? 
So I bought a dual pack 10R some 2 years ago, one of them has static issues. Just continually has an overlay of static. It happened a few months after ownership, not sure if the warranty was 90 days or a year, but regardless it is already past warranty by this point.

I also bought spare speakers for my other helmet (well, spare speakers, battery, mic, everything except control unit) so I can just remove the control unit from one helmet and attach it to the other. I didn't realize until later when I actually used it that the spare speakers are not working properly. It is muffled- very difficult to hear the voice due to the muffling. I switched speakers just to make sure it wasn't me and sure enough, the original speakers sound fine. So I bought another spare speaker to replace the busted spare speakers which I tossed in the garbage (seriously it isn't worth my time trying to get it replaced- my time is worth well over 100 dollars an hour hahah).

So for me, its 50% chance that Sena is giving me a crappy product. This just for me? Probably, huh?

Anyways, my next com purchase will be a Scala based on my 50% failure rate with Sena.  That's right buddies, you can just call me @chicagoaj when it comes to Sena!  lol!  Just kidding AJ, just kidding. :D

Ouch... 

• 2 weeks later...

I have had some serious issues with my Sena SMH10. Bought two to start with. One had a pin fall out. Australian distributor wasn't interested. Wouldn't replace wouldn't fix. Bought another couple so we would have a spare and eventually the batteryies wouldn't hold charge. Australian distributor couldn't care less. Told they didn't stock batteries and didn't change them. ( I should point out this is typical of Australian distributors or pretty much everything). Surfed the net and nothing available retail anywhere ( the US Sena just kept refering me to the Aussie waste of time distributor). One of my working ones had the battery leak into the unit and corrode it non use. Now I only 2 working ones again ( though I have 4 mounts and mikes)
On a national forum one woman had sourced some LiFePO4 replacements with greater capacity so I got some from here. Huge difference in the off power use. Clearer and longer range. No idea why but suspect stock batteries are a bit under power ( ie VA).
When they work they work well. The loss of signal static is aweful though and range is not great and pretty much line of sight only, but that is a function of the comms protocol.
NOTE: there are ongoing firmware updates and they are definitely worth the doing. Improves range, static, reconnection, battery power usage and some extra functions. So If you have a Sena make sure you get on your PC/laptop and download the updater and firmware. You need to connect the units EXACTLY as and when you are told. And you can do more than one at a session in a continuous loop. You will have to reset you connections on the units though each time. ie re-pair, update to your settings and update to any new added functions.
The new 20's have much better range. Just wish there was a good intercom that I didn't have to deal with the Aussie lack of interest distributor.
We changed to adventure style helmets as not only do they have a visor but a lot more room in front between your mouth and the inside of the helmet. No problems with knocking the mike when putting the helmet on.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully the newer models don't have that, like the 10s. As far as the mic, the chinbar on the RX-Q is very close, so the wired one was my only option.

I have had some serious issues with my Sena SMH10. Bought two to start with. One had a pin fall out. Australian distributor wasn't interested. Wouldn't replace wouldn't fix. Bought another couple so we would have a spare and eventually the batteryies wouldn't hold charge. Australian distributor couldn't care less. Told they didn't stock batteries and didn't change them. ( I should point out this is typical of Australian distributors or pretty much everything). Surfed the net and nothing available retail anywhere ( the US Sena just kept refering me to the Aussie waste of time distributor). One of my working ones had the battery leak into the unit and corrode it non use. Now I only 2 working ones again ( though I have 4 mounts and mikes) On a national forum one woman had sourced some LiFePO4 replacements with greater capacity so I got some from here. Huge difference in the off power use. Clearer and longer range. No idea why but suspect stock batteries are a bit under power ( ie VA).
When they work they work well. The loss of signal static is aweful though and range is not great and pretty much line of sight only, but that is a function of the comms protocol.
NOTE: there are ongoing firmware updates and they are definitely worth the doing. Improves range, static, reconnection, battery power usage and some extra functions. So If you have a Sena make sure you get on your PC/laptop and download the updater and firmware. You need to connect the units EXACTLY as and when you are told. And you can do more than one at a session in a continuous loop. You will have to reset you connections on the units though each time. ie re-pair, update to your settings and update to any new added functions.
The new 20's have much better range. Just wish there was a good intercom that I didn't have to deal with the Aussie lack of interest distributor.
We changed to adventure style helmets as not only do they have a visor but a lot more room in front between your mouth and the inside of the helmet. No problems with knocking the mike when putting the helmet on.

Ah ha!  See, although I'm already convinced never to buy another Sena POS ever again, that all but reaffirms my stance.

This could be an Aussie problem only of course ( the lack of interest I mean). Aussie distributors get themselves exclusive deals ( including making it so overseas distributors won't sell to us) and then know they don't have to make any effort to service customers. Once they sell it , the customer is dirt in this country. That's why when you find people that are good to deal with you stick to them.
Power commander is also like that. And now the distributor won't even sell to the public. So if you are a racer that does their own work you have to go cap in hand to a local rip off dealer to pay extra for NOTHING.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 2 months later...

I have been using an SMH-10R for 2 months now without a problem. Was using it prior to the snowfall on a daily basis (I commute to work on the bike). Also used it a few times as a intercom with my brother, who has the same system. Never had any issues!

Archived