The MT-07 Forum

I no longer feel MT

MaT-07

Hey Folks.

My username was supposed to display as MaT, but alas, it looks like I chose a pedestrian alternative of my own name...

I'm a UK rider and shall be picking up my new MT-07 tomorrow. Coming from a YBR, so needless to say, I'm pretty excited. I did my training and test on an MT, and then spent a while contemplating the XSR and Tracer alternatives, before finally arriving full circle on the MT.

My bike is my only means of transport (no desire to drive a car) and as we're approaching winter any recommendations/tips from fellow winter commuters for the MT will be much appreciated!

I've been waiting a week to pick the machine up; it's felt like a month.

• Premium Member

Welcome @mat !
I don't ride a lot in the winter, but couple things I use in the winter... Layers. Good wicking layers underneath and wind blocking waterproof layer on top. Wool socks, Pin-Lock lens, or good anti-fog application on shield to prevent fog. Good gloves, in fact I bought a pair of electric gloves (electric wear in general). Also, I recently ordered some hand guards. They haven't arrived yet so I'm not sure how they'll work, but for the price I thought I'd give it a shot.

Why can't left turners see us?

In really cold weather I used to wear a one piece thermal suit with a one piece water/windproof rain suit over it. (best if it breathes) I stayed pretty toasty. Oh, yeah! Welcome and congrats!  :P

Beemer

Depends on how much you can spend,
Heated jacket or waist coat,
Heated Gloves or grips.
Bar guards.
Warmest pants jacket and boots you can find.
If you want cheap get a pair of those £19 claw gloves.

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

Just an FYI, there are several posts about winter and/or cold weather riding gear & suggestions here preexisting in the forum. Just use the "Search" tab at the top of the page. Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum.

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

Thanks, chaps. Yeah, didn't mean to turn this into a specific topic discussion! Was more of a parting remark, really. I like the idea of the handguards and heated grips, though. Ta for the welcome.

Hello "MaT". "mat" is rather pedestrian, you might have to make a disclaimer in every post lest we judge you poorly for your perceived "simple mind".

I ride year round here in the US and I have found that I can ride in this one piece suit till the end of time and still be warm (also doubles as a rainsuit). I usually wear a synthetic motorcycle jacket under it for armor. Heated jacket/pants are very overrated IMHO unless it is like 0 degrees out (speaking in Fahrenheit, btw, the superior temperature rating system). With this suit, I have ridden in 25 degrees F for close to an hour and been 100%. It is not necessarily "super insulated", it moreso just keeps all air out so that nothing cold hits you. That being said, it only covers your body. The hardest part of staying warm on a bike seems to keeping your hands from losing feeling. That is where heated grips or handguards are almost a must unless you enjoy the pain.

Why did you pick the MT over the Tracer/XSR?

• Premium Member

Click on profile up near the top of the page. The click on Edit profile over on the right. Click on the personal tab and capitalize to your hearts content.
If your on a phone, you have to switch to the desktop view first.

- Andy

Click on profile up near the top of the page. The click on Edit profile over on the right. Click on the personal tab and capitalize to your hearts content. If your on a phone, you have to switch to the desktop view first.
My hero. You will now know me as "AlbatrossCafe". MaT is next. 

• Premium Member

Welcome!

I guess one thing I could add is to try things on first... I know in this day and age of purchasing online and all. My first pair of winter gloves I bought I made the purchase online. Once I tried them on with the controls, I realized how much dexterity I lost due to its thickness. Same goes with layering. The more layers you put on, the harder it will be to move around. I live in California, so I tend to layer all my multi-seasonal gear on... I feel like the MIchelin man.

images.jpg

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Hello "MaT". "mat" is rather pedestrian, you might have to make a disclaimer in every post lest we judge you poorly for your perceived "simple mind". 
I ride year round here in the US and I have found that I can ride in this one piece suit till the end of time and still be warm (also doubles as a rainsuit). I usually wear a synthetic motorcycle jacket under it for armor. Heated jacket/pants are very overrated IMHO unless it is like 0 degrees out (speaking in Fahrenheit, btw, the superior temperature rating system). With this suit, I have ridden in 25 degrees F for close to an hour and been 100%. It is not necessarily "super insulated", it moreso just keeps all air out so that nothing cold hits you. That being said, it only covers your body. The hardest part of staying warm on a bike seems to keeping your hands from losing feeling. That is where heated grips or handguards are almost a must unless you enjoy the pain.

Why did you pick the MT over the Tracer/XSR?

I hear you! I rode in about the same temp from Austin to Ft. Hood once on I-35 at 70 mph. for about an hour and a half. The windchill factor had to be well below zero and I had to stop a couple times at gas stations to warm the hands. If not for going so fast I believe I would've been comfortable for that amount of time at slower speeds.

Beemer

Click on profile up near the top of the page. The click on Edit profile over on the right. Click on the personal tab and capitalize to your hearts content. If your on a phone, you have to switch to the desktop view first.
Genius!

Bike's still waiting on a few parts from the dealership - no MTing was had over the weekend.

Monday, however, is looking hopeful. I hope...

Archived