The MT-07 Forum

Reversing hi-beam & "passing" switch functionality

AlbatrossCafe

As title says, I want to reverse the functionality of the hi-beam switch and the passing/flasher switch on our bikes.

Current Operation:

[ul type=disc][*]Hi-Beam switch - turns on only the hi-beam filament; turns off low-beam
[*]Flasher - flashes the hi-beam filament while leaving the low-beam on
[/ul]
Desired Operation:

[ul type=disc][*]Hi-beam switch - turns on BOTH low & hi-beam filaments
[*]Flasher - flashes hi-beam while simultaneously turning off low-beam[/ul]

Honestly, I don't know why our bikes weren't made like this in the first place. When driving on a dark road, I like to have right in front of me illuminated so that I can see potholes and bad road while having the distance illuminated for turns/deer. Also, the low-beam is much better around sharper turns.It makes sense to have both filaments on when "hi-beam" is switched on. It is a HUGE improvement for visibility.

Also, when doing the "passing/flasher" button, I feel you want to have the headlight fluctuate it's light output as much as possible so you know it is being flashed. In my proposed solution, the difference between "low" and "hi" is much more significant than "low" and "low/hi".

Especially on my bike with dual headlights, the low beam is one light and the hi beam is the other. The flasher would be great if it could not only flash hi/low, but also give the appearance of the light moving side-to-side to be even more noticeable.

http://i.imgur.com/6q8PPLq.jpg

Has anyone done anything like this yet? Any advice? Can I just cut & solder some connections in the control unit that is on the handlebar, or do I have to go deeper?

Guest ChicagoAJ

Just try to bypass the passing light/high beam switch with a single wire. That'll leave both on all the time, shouldn't have to go any deeper than that.

be mindful of heat though. that's a lot of current going that bulb. If anything I would recommend some driving lights (no, you don't have to spend hundreds) and wire them so that they come on with the high-beam (surrogate low beam if you will) and also flash with the high-beam on 'flash to pass'. With the second source of light you can aim them any way you want just as long as you're not blinding on-coming drivers.

something like this perhaps?
https://www.amazon.com/LX-LIGHT-approved-Passing-Davidson-Motorcycles/dp/B01B3774LG
https://www.amazon.com/Xprite-12Watt-Power-Offroad-2-Pack/dp/B00LNW9XTI

An FJ09 I did the forks on had these (or similar clone)
https://www.amazon.com/autvivid-Degree-Fishing-Driving-Motorbike/dp/B0171P3E40

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 1 month later...

I did something very similar back when I had a chevy trailblazer. When you flashed the lights it would turn on all 4 bulbs but turning on the high beams only turned on the 2 high beam bulbs. It was a matter of simply swapping two wires in my harness. Another option might be to look into one of the kits the make for cars and trucks that makes low stay on with high. I think they are called hi-4 kits or something like that.

suspiciouspackage

I forgot where I read it, but when I was coding my car to do high and low beams on when pushing the turn stalk back, I was told the reason they don't do that out of the factory is because it's illegal. Take it with a grain of salt. I went through with the coding and haven't had issues. But then again, I don't roll around with both beams on and I'm not trying to roll by a cop just to see if I'd get a ticket.

Makes perfect sense to me but I have a feeling it's illegal (like suspiciouspackage said) because flashing white light followed by darkness can trigger a seizure in a person that has photosensitive epilepsy. 

Beemer

AlbatrossCafe

Weird... I didn't even think of that. I do have another plan anyway rather than messing with the wiring in the switch harness.
I'm rambling here for my own notes so feel free to not read lol

Currently, the dual headlight I have has an H7 (single filament) bulb for low beam on the right side, and an H7 bulb for high beam on the left side. It connects to the bike using a single H4 connector (I reused the stock one).

I am going to put an H7 LED bulb in the high-beam side of my dual headlight. However on the low-beam side, I am going to put an H4 (dual filament - what stock light uses) LED bulb.

I have several H4 connectors that are not being used on my bike. I will hook 1 of them up to the dual headlight harness that will only go to the hi-beam side. I will hook another one up directly to the new H4 bulb I put in the low-beam side. Then the lights will work as follows (note: even though I want to use LEDs I will use the term "filament" for simplicity):

Low beams selected:
[ul type=disc][*]The right side H4 low-beam bulb of the dual headlight will only have 1 filament (the low-beam) turned on
[*]The left side H7 hi-beam bulb will be off[*]Only 1/2 of the headlights are illuminated
[/ul]
High beams selected:
[ul type=disc][*]The right side H4 bulb will still only have 1 filament turned on, but it will be the high-beam filament
[*]The left side H7 hi-beam bulb will be on[*]Both headlights are illuminated[/ul]
Flasher:[ul type=disc][*]The right side H4 bulb will have both filaments illuminated
[*]The left side H7 bulb will be on[*]Both headlights will be illuminated, and it will be slightly brighter than with just the hi-beams selected[*]The left
[/ul]
Both sides of the dual headlight are projectors, so the beam pattern should not be an issue (I assume). With the H4 bulb in there on the low-beam side, as both filaments are on, the pattern should not change but the light should just get brighter I think.

I don't think it's a legal thing, a large majority of new cars are setup to have all lights on, except fog lights, when the high beams are on. My Audi TT was that way and my fiance's Ford Edge is as well. I know cars with hid low beams and regular high beams run all when highs are on due to the fact that hid bulbs go out faster when they are used intermittently.

• 7 months later...

Not sure on the flasher part. But they make a relay kit for a 99-2003 Chevy Silverado that turns on both low and hi beams on at the same time for the hi beams. Originals when you switch to hi the lows turned of. Now they all come on!

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/ce/full.aspx?Page=51

It the top item! Don't see why it wouldn't work on the bike!

Didnt realize older thread!

2015 FZ-07

Archived