The MT-07 Forum

Looking At Second Bike

bugdr

Hello riders,
I'm looking for a second bike to go with my 2016 Versys 650 LT. The FZ-07 is on my radar. I've all but ruled out the XSR/FZ-09 for having more power than necessary. Recently, I decided to shed some pounds in the bike department and went with the Versys when I sold my Tenere. Been very pleased with the sporty-touring nature of the V but want "just a bike" to throw a leg over and ride in the hills of the Ozarks.

In the past, I've owned primarily large sport-touring bikes and enjoy motorcycle travel more than just about anything. They will drag a peg in the twisties but I have come to appreciate the lighter, more nimble V for that......now, I'm hooked and want to go even lighter with more power.  Too old for a true sport bike and want a naked bike without the bells and whistles of most modern bikes.

Probably won't have much to contribute as I'm learning about this bike. Maybe I will join the ranks of owners soon.

Cheers,
Mike

• Premium Member

FJ-09 should be on the list if your looking at fz-09...FJ fixed a lot of the basic problems with the FZ-09...turn off the traction control and you got a FZ-09...I just picked up a FJ-09 today ...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I looked hard at the FJ 09 before I purchased the Versys. In the end, practicality and price won me over. It is a great bike but it would be too much overlap with the Versys for me to justify owning it now.

Enjoy your new ride. They're a hoot to ride.
Mike

Fz07 is a great choice without a doubt. Plenty of power and torque. My only complaint is the sub par suspension. Riding hard really brings out the worst.

Fz07 is a great choice without a doubt. Plenty of power and torque. My only complaint is the sub par suspension. Riding hard really brings out the worst.
That is my largest concern as well with the FZ07. The Showa separate function forks on the new Versys really work well for a budget bike.  Hoping to find a viable solution for the FZs weak front fork since I plan on riding pretty hard on twisty roads with patchy pavement.  
Mike

• Premium Member

We have a phenomenal suspension vendor here... His kits are worth it for the budget crowd or others...His fork kit is re-purposed Showa cartridges...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Right now the naked bike in the size you want that will outshine the rest in the hills of the Ozarks IS the FZ-07. You will love the engine, it produces plenty of power and sounds great with an aftermarket pipe. You will especially love the torque in the hills, the bike pulls like a scalded bull! It's definitely light and nimble as well. I recommend test riding one in the hills for some convincing. Yeah, those forks but they're fixable and you have to work on something with almost every bike.

Beemer

• Premium Member

LoOK at the SCR950 yamaha just released...

I used to own a 2010 V. I like the FZ-07 better and the V was a GREAT bike. The FZ-07 is too similar to the V and I would recommend getting something a bit more different to justify the second bike.

Ride Safe!!

Capn

Archived