The MT-07 Forum

Helmet question

liami

Anyone know if helmets exist that have an internal clear visor (for night riding) and an external tinted visor (for day riding). I like the look of the tinted look of visors like on my single visor helmet, but it makes it hard to see at night and I can't carry another separate helmet or visor to switch out when I need to.

All I know of are helmets with an tinted internal flip down visor and a clear outer visor. What dqban put up is pretty cool but if you can't afford or find who sells it there is this much cheaper solution. Just use a pair of clear safety glasses with your clear visor at night. That's what I do, I keep a pair clipped to my handlebars and when it starts to get dark I just switch out the tinted glasses for the clear ones. It's not too much of a hassle but then again, I'm old school.

Beemer

i've just starting using a Scorpion helmet w/ an internal tinted visor and a regular clear flip down visor. what i discovered is that you'll want to wear safety glasses of some sort w/ the
internal visor no matter if it's tinted or not. mine is great, but it doesn't provide coverage really for small debris and crap flying at your face. point is, you might not ride that
much w/ JUST the internal visor and not the flip down regardless. i did what Beemer did. i have clear safety glasses i ALWAYS wear, then use the tinted internal by day, and
if i go over 50 mph, i drop the clear flip down visor no matter what. fwiw.

marty

• Global Moderator

I have the transitions visor. I just had to buy a new one as a rock cracked my old one. I would not want to have had the visor up when that happened. It would have done some serious damage to my face.

I've owned two dual visor helmets (tinted internal, clear external) and I liked them both. I would ride tinted down, clear up in day, clear down and tinted up at night. I live in Florida so even the nights are hot and all the air flow I can get from the front is great so I loved only wearing with the tinted down because they didn't close off airflow. Just can't wear tint at night. I'll probably either keep my tinted main visor and wear clear glasses, or I'll look up the transition visor

I have the transitions visor. I just had to buy a new one as a rock cracked my old one. I would not want to have had the visor up when that happened. It would have done some serious damage to my face.
Is have transitionns as wells. For me its worth the price over the hassle. Doesnt go full black tint, maybe a 7.5 out of 10 from a light to dark scale.

Icon makes a yellow inner lens for the alliance GT That would work pretty well for nighttime.
Concept you're going for doesn't make sense to me but to each his own.

Scorpion Exo and I myself have the Shoei GT-Air, both with an internal visor. If not, some Bell models and Shoei RF-1200 and top range have transition lenses, but expect to pay around $160 just for the lense.

Safe riding!

I highly recommend transition visors, the price tag is a bit high for just a visor but the practicality is amazing. You never need to plan ahead which visors you are using or fumbling with helmet control(admittedly not a big issue.) and they block a very decent amount of glare. On par with good non-polarized sunglasses. Only complaint I have with my bell transition visor is that at night it can fog up while waiting for lights to turn which is kind of annoying.

I'm just curious but I used to have Transition lenses in an old pair of glasses, probably close to when they first came out. I noticed back then that they never went completely clear. Are they any different now or are they still slightly tinted when the lights dim? 

Beemer

i've just starting using a Scorpion helmet w/ an internal tinted visor and a regular clear flip down visor. what i discovered is that you'll want to wear safety glasses of some sort w/ the internal visor no matter if it's tinted or not. mine is great, but it doesn't provide coverage really for small debris and crap flying at your face. point is, you might not ride that
much w/ JUST the internal visor and not the flip down regardless. i did what Beemer did. i have clear safety glasses i ALWAYS wear, then use the tinted internal by day, and
if i go over 50 mph, i drop the clear flip down visor no matter what. fwiw.

marty
^ What Marty said. If you ride with only the visor up and the internal, flip-down visor down you may like it until you get something in an eye ... or both eyes and that can cause an accident. Be sure and wear good safety glasses that form a seal around your eyes but I have the feeling you're going to get the Transitions visor. Let us know what you decide. 
I have a pair of these and while wearing them inside a helmet they aren't as big and ugly but they work great.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Sunglasses-Glasses-Standards-Padding/dp/B0043X48VC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1474900473&sr=8-3&keywords=motorcycle+safety+glasses

[attachment id=2340" thumbnail="1][attachment id=2341" thumbnail="1]This is my system. (I don't use those clear, safety glasses pictured any longer, no seal)

Beemer

• Global Moderator
I'm just curious but I used to have Transition lenses in an old pair of glasses, probably close to when they first came out. I noticed back then that they never went completely clear. Are they any different now or are they still slightly tinted when the lights dim? 
It is almost clear when it is dark out.  It is close enough that it is not a problem. 

• Premium Member
My transitions gets close enough to clear that I can't really notice any tint.  It also gets pretty dark, but as mentioned, probably only 80% - 90% as dark as a dark tint lens. 

Why can't left turners see us?

pineappleunderthesea
I highly recommend transition visors, the price tag is a bit high for just a visor but the practicality is amazing. You never need to plan ahead which visors you are using or fumbling with helmet control(admittedly not a big issue.) and they block a very decent amount of glare. On par with good non-polarized sunglasses. Only complaint I have with my bell transition visor is that at night it can fog up while waiting for lights to turn which is kind of annoying.
I assume that they make a pinlock system for transition visors?  I bought a standard dark tint visor with pinlock last year for my Shoei Qwest, and it indeed works wonders in preventing the annoying fogging up.  But it is semi-expensive, the pinlock visor itself is like $50, and the lens insert is $30.  I would be interested in a transition visor that is pinlock ready, but I don't want to know what that will cost....

• Premium Member
I assume that they make a pinlock system for transition visors?  I bought a standard dark tint visor with pinlock last year for my Shoei Qwest, and it indeed works wonders in preventing the annoying fogging up.  But it is semi-expensive, the pinlock visor itself is like $50, and the lens insert is $30.  I would be interested in a transition visor that is pinlock ready, but I don't want to know what that will cost....
Well...  since you don't want to know then don't read this. :) The Transitions lens for my Lazer Kite was $88 and the pinlock insert was $20.
(I noticed the price has increased since I bought mine last year - $139 - yikes).

No there isn't a pinlock system for this, the entire visor contains the transition action. Just swap your visor and you are good to go. I believe Shoei has a similar system but it only fits some of their higher end models which got confusing for me so I went with Bell and have been happy. Just kinda hate that the shield doesn't make a great seal with the helmet.

No there isn't a pinlock system for this, the entire visor contains the transition action. Just swap your visor and you are good to go. I believe Shoei has a similar system but it only fits some of their higher end models which got confusing for me so I went with Bell and have been happy. Just kinda hate that the shield doesn't make a great seal with the helmet.

Yep, transition is about $160 and only for RF-1200 & X-14 (or NXR & X-Spirit III in Europe). No pinlock in any transition lens in any brand at the moment.

Safe riding!

• Premium Member
Yep, transition is about $160 and only for RF-1200 & X-14 (or NXR & X-Spirit III in Europe). No pinlock in any transition lens in any brand at the moment.
Not True, as posted above, I own one. Lazer Kite Pinlock Transitions Lens

It is almost clear when it is dark out.  It is close enough that it is not a problem. 
You and rowdy both confirmed what most reviews that I've read said, that they're clear enough at night. It figures though there is no Transitions visor for my helmet, poo! That's just my luck.  :P

Beemer

Just got a pair of photochromic glasses (basically like transition lenses, from what I understand). They for fairly nicely in my helmet, which only has one visor. I have the tinted visor on my helmet and these glasses are pretty clear when dark, I rode home with them last night and didn't see too big a difference, and if it gets super bright out for the glasses to handle, I can just put down my tinted visor. Theoretically, if I put down my tint visor, then it should block enough light that my photochromic glasses won't go completely dark and make me practically blind. If both go completely dark and make it so dark that I can't see, I can figure out something else

Archived