The MT-07 Forum

Fuel Controller necessary for M4 slip on exhaust?

dompee

Hey everyone, been looking into getting an aftermarket exhaust and found the m4 slip on exhaust to be something favorable for me. Not looking for huge performance boosts but I like the strong growl it gives it. My question is if a fuel controller is necessary when installing this exhaust on the fz07? Also, if so, which fuel controllers do you recommend? Thanks all!

Guest ChicagoAJ

Not necessary but the bike will run better with it. I personally got my ECU flashed by 2WheelDynoWorks, awesome increase in power when coupled with an exhaust.

Not necessary but the bike will run better with it. I personally got my ECU flashed by 2WheelDynoWorks, awesome increase in power when coupled with an exhaust.

Thanks for the feedback! I would consider that option but I don't wanna do anything that will void my warranty. Btw when you say it will run better, does that mean that if I run without a fuel controller, it will cause long term damage to the bike?

Guest ChicagoAJ

It shouldn't cause damage, but when I just installed my exhaust with no fuel changes it ran pretty bad. Felt like it lost 5-10hp and stalled pretty easily. I only stalled my bike maybe once or twice in the first 2,000 miles I had it, when I put the exhaust on I must've stalled it a handful of times in that week. After the ECU flash to compensate for the exhaust, I don't think I've stalled it yet after another 2,000+ miles.

I did full exhaust though, you'll still have your stock headers in use. I'm not sure how well yours in particular will run. Plus, an ECU flash is only detectable by Yamaha Corporate (as far as I know you need to cut open the ECU to connect it to a computer). No dealer will be able to see that you have a different map than stock. But if you use a plug and play fuel controller, they'll see it and know immediately. I've had my bike in for warranty work (oil leak) with my flash and they didn't find it. 

• Premium Member

I believe 2wdw did an test awhile back...I think unflashed fz-09 with m4 exhaust made less power and torque than stock unflashed bike with stock exhaust...that's proof in the pudding...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Guest ChicagoAJ
I believe 2wdw did an test awhile back...I think unflashed fz-09 with m4 exhaust made less power and torque than stock unflashed bike with stock exhaust...that's proof in the pudding...
That's usually always the case when adding on parts without tuning for them. 

Archived